The Impact Of Modern Office Equipment On The Secretary’s Performance In Selected Government Establishments In Owerri Municipal
This research was conducted to ascertain the impact of modern office equipment on the secretary’s performance in selected government establishments in Owerri municipal. Related literature was reviewed to determine the advantages of these equipments to the secretary for effective performance.
The four likert point and mean scores were used to analyze the data collected. It was discovered from the data collected and analyzed that the challenges facing the availability, adequacy and functionality of these equipment were attributed to lack of fund, lack of fund for maintenance, lack of operational knowledge.
Finally, recommendations were made for enough funds to be provided by the government and institutions of higher learning to acquire these equipments. Also organizations should encourage their secretaries’ to participate in on-the-job and off-the-job training programmes.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Approval Page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of Problems
- 1.3 Purpose of the Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Significance of the Study
2.0 Review of Literature
- 2.1 Availability of Modern Office Equipment
- 2.2 Impact of Modern Office Equipment
- 2.3 Reasons for Installing Modern Office Equipment
- 2.4 Functionality of Modern office Equipment
- 2.5 Problems Facing Modern Office Machines
- 2.6 Summary of Literature Review
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Design of the Study
- 3.2 Area of the Study
- 3.3 Population of the Study
- 3.4 Sample Size and Sampling Techniques
- 3.5 Instrument for Data Collection
- 3.6 Validity and Reliability of Instrument
- 3.7 Method of Data Collection
- 3.8 Method of Data Analysis
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
5.0 Discussion of Findings, Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary of Findings
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
- 5.4 Areas for Further Research
- Appendix I
- Appendix II
1.1 Background to the Study
The development of modern office equipment has brought closer the “Electronic” office which is the term used in describing the way modern office is developing. The development of modern office equipments has made it possible for workers to be versatile in their career. Additionally, ethnological changes have brought about job changes in organizational structure (Abdullahi, 2002).
Anyautonwu (1987) opined that the use of modern office equipment in the highly industrialized countries has made so much progress in the world of business that people now evaluate its true impact on the secretary in particular and workers generally. Increasing use of modern office equipment tends to create some uncertainties and insecurity on the part of the workers. As a result, there is this fear of human labour displacement in the minds of the workers which can create unemployment to many people especially to those with little or no knowledge of manipulating these machines.
Within the last two decades many achievements were recorded in the area of technological office work which would have been too cumbersome without the use of these office technologies. New job opportunities are generated everyday for the secretary wishing to match the challenges.
Anionwu (1993) is of the opinion that as new machines and equipment are developed new skills and knowledge are required by the secretary for the operation of these modern facilities.
The development and installation of modern equipment have made possible an office processing revolution by offering everyone means of sending and retrieving information quickly and cheaply within an organization and throughout the world office work generally is all about handling and processing of information despite the wide use of the telephone and computers. Office work has also been associated with paper pusher (Burn, 1985).
The modern office machine according to Ohakwe Idih and Chukwumezie (2002) are those tools or instruments that are used to perform office functions. These machines are of immense importance to every worker and to the organization of all sizes. This implies that with the use of modern office equipment every establishment aims at enhancing productivity onward movement towards achieving greater effectiveness and efficiency in organization objectives.
However, with the current pace in the development of technology worldwide, modern office equipment is experiencing a dramatic evolution. This has actually been made possible because of the introduction of telephone which has gone revolutionized from analogue to digital cordless to mobile cellular system.
Today, the functions of secretaries have shifted from the use of traditional equipment such as manual typewriters to sophiscated once like electronic typewriter, computer, photocopier, fast machines, word processor, and telecomputers. Analysis system (RAS) and computer information management. Dictating and recording also affect secretary performance. Alozie (1995) opines that in the past many offices were organized traditionally so that many people handled the same sheet of paper as it passes through the organization. Today, this procedure has changed and will continue to change as new technologies are introduced in the work place.
Nwosu (1996) also remarked that office work could have been very cumbersome and indeed unattainable without these modern equipments. Elendu (1988) noted that modern office equipment from the most import and tools which when put into proper use bring about efficiency in work.
Okafor (1987) stated that for nearly three decades secretary’s performance has been portrayed as the application of skills to business operations. He further stated that recent developments have called for and indeed dictated the need for a new orientation on the impact of modern office equipment in a secretary’s performance. Following the above assertions one can say that the secretary has been identify as key factor in the fulfillment of organization goals, keeper of secret’s and resource person in every organization sincere effort should be made to provide her with adequate modern equipment.
This will enable her cope with diverse challenges posed by the global emphasis on office machines. It was rightly observed by some authors that modern office equipment has led to highly skilled secretaries which in effect have resulted to the increase in competence and efficiency in productivity of the secretaries achievement in an organization.
1.1 Statement of Problem
Before the introduction of modern office equipment, secretaries depended largely on manual skills in the performance of their functions. That was the period when secretaries had little or no knowledge of modern office equipment in the business circles. As a result, the output of secretaries fell beyond expectation because of lack of automated equipment. This made people loose interest in studying secretaries’ studies in our higher institutions.
Recently secretarial studies taught to be one of the professions that have benefited from technological development. Since the introduction of modern office equipment in organization the problems of fatigue, lack of respect for secretaries still persist in spite of these innovation. It is most possible that the acquisition of modern office equipment have negative effects such as displacement of workers and other cost implications. Secretaries are often denied of useful training that could help them acquire skills to operate this equipment.
1.2 Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of this study is to assess the impact of modern office equipment would have on the performance of secretaries in selected government establishments in Owerri municipal area. Specifically the study will attempt:
- To identify the availability or non availability of modern office equipment.
- To determine the level of adequacy or inadequacy of these equipment in government establishment.
- To determine the extent of their functionality
- To determine the skills required by secretaries to operate these machines.
- To identify that problems responsible for the adequacy or these equipment.
- To determine if the availability office equipment imposes any threat on the secretaries job.
1.3 Research Question
The following research questions have been formulated from the objectives to guide the study.
- To what extent are these modern office equipments available or not available for secretaries’ performance in the selected government establishments in Owerri municipal area?
- To what extent are these equipments adequate or inadequate?
- To what extent are these modern office equipments functional?
- What are the skills required of secretaries to operate these machines?
- What are the problems responsible for the adequate or inadequate of this equipment?
1.4 Significance of Study
A study like this will not only be of great advantage to students, but to institutions to identify the impact of modern office machine used in training prospective secretaries.
This study is beneficial to the government establishment because they can take sound decisions from information gathered from work. The information obtained will help them update their curriculum, increase their ego.
This study will also enable student acquire the skills to operate those equipment. With the help of this study, institutions will now find way to remedy the problems of modern office equipment either liaising with business organizations or by ensuring that students are adequately involved in the use of modern office equipment.
Finally, the result of this research work therefore, will establish the fact that if secretaries are given the chance to make use of this modern office equipment this will greatly increase the productivity of the secretaries’ achievement in an organization.
1.5 Scope of the Study
The study is delimited in scope of the impact of modern office equipment on the secretary’s performance in selected government establishments in Owerri municipal.
5.0 Summary Of Findings, Conclusions And Recommendations
5.1 Summary Of Findings
Having carefully studied, analyzed and presented the various modern office equipments available, their impacts on the secretary’s performance, adequacy and functionality, this section of the chapter presents the summary of the findings as follows:
- Some of these modern equipments were not adequately available in both establishments. It was also observed that such equipments like teleprinter, scanning machines, addressing machines, franking machines, envelop sealing, etc, were not adequately available in the establishments. The one that were available are duplicating machine, electric typewriter and computers.
- Some of the modern office equipments were not very functional. This was clearly shown in such equipment like computer, scanning and teleprinter.
- Responses on the adequacy of these equipments depicted that in both establishments some of the equipments were available but not adequately provided. There are many problems facing the availability of these modern office equipments such as – lack of fund, indifference on the part of the executives, lack of spare parts and so on, inadequate fund was discovered as the greatest.
- Many suggestions were given on how to solve the above problems. These include – provision of adequate fund, positive attitude by the executives and so on.
Based on the findings of this work, the following conclusions were reached.
- Most of these modern office equipments were not available in both establishments. As a result, secretaries, in these establishments could not make use of them even if they know how to operate them.
- In establishment were the equipments were available the executives always give strict instructions on the number of secretaries that will use them.
- Based on the findings, the equipments that are available were not very functional, non functionality also attributes to lack of spare parts and funds.
- In some establishment were they are available but could not be used by the secretaries. It was observed that the secretaries lack the knowledge, training and skills required for the operation of these equipments.
Having identified the availability, impact adequate and functionality of modern office equipments used by secretaries, the researcher is of the view that the following measures, if adequately applied would greatly improve and sustain good working conditions and performance of the secretaries in the office. Therefore,
- Enough funds should be provided by government and individuals to institutions of higher learning that train secretaries.
- The fund generated from the government and individuals should be used in purchasing equipments.
- The trainee secretaries would get knowledge and skills required in operating these equipments.
- Executives and employees of secretaries should change their negative attitude in the provision of these equipments. They should understand that the availability of these equipments enhances the image and productivity of the organization.
- Organization should encourage their secretaries to participate in both on-the-job and off-the-job training programmes, example of these programme includes – seminars, workshops, classroom course and so on.
- Finally, the management should ensure that these modern office equipments are made available, adequately provided and functional.
5.4 Areas For Further Research
This type of research can be extended to private establishment outside Imo state for the purpose of comparison. It can also be recommended to other clerical staff as some of the modern office equipments in the performance of their duties.
A similar study can be carried out in institutions of higher learning that run the secretarial administration programme in and outside Imo state.
The Impact Of Modern Office Equipment On The Secretary’s Performance In Selected Government Establishments In Owerri Municipal
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Impact Of Modern Office Equipment On The Secretary’s Performance In Selected Government Establishments In Owerri Municipal
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “The Impact Of Modern Office Equipment On The Secretary’s Performance In Selected Government Establishments In Owerri Municipal” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Impact Of Modern Office Equipment On The Secretary’s Performance In Selected Government Establishments In Owerri Municipal” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.