The Impact Of Materials Handling In The Stores Function Of An Organization (A Case Study Of Rokana Industries Plc, Nekede Owerri, Imo State)
👁🗨Download up-to-date Post UTME past questions here
📩Get complete project / seminar material for any topic
This project is the impact of materials handling in the stores function of Rokana industries PLC, Nekede Owerri, Imo State. This research study concern itself with the impact of effective handling of materials in a manufacturing firm mentioned above and aims at identifying the various activities which tend to underline their uses, efficiency and effectiveness as well as finding solution to the problems.
However, the project study begins with chapter one with the general overview o background of the study, objective of the study, statement of problem, scope of the study, research question, significant of the study, limitation of the study and definition of terms. Chapter two of this project study deals with the review of related literature. Chapter three deals with the review research methodology.
Chapter four deals with the various data collected, presentation and analysis of the data. Concluding this work in chapter five, the research summarizes her work and made some useful recommendation based in his findings in Rokana industries PLC, Nekede Owerri Imo State.
Table Of Content
Table of content
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Statement of the problem
1.3 Objectives of the study
1.4 Research question
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Scope of the study
1.7 Limitation of study
1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Review of related literature
2.2 Importance of materials handling
2.3 Objectives of materials handling
2.4 Functions of materials handling
2.5 Factors to be considered in selecting materials handling
2.6 Methods of materials handling used in an Organization/firm
2.7 Advantages of mechanical handling
2.8 Types of materials handling equipment
2.9 Double handling of materials in an organization/firm
3.1 Research methodology
3.2 Research design
3.3 Source/method of data collection
3.3.2 Personal interview
3.3.5 Sources of data
3.4 Population and sample size
3.5 Sample techniques
3.6 Validity and reliability
3.7 Method of data analysis
4.0 Presentation analysis of data
4.2 Presentation of data
4.3 Analysis of data
4.4 Interpretation of result
5.0 Summary, conclusion and recommendation
1.1 Background Of Study
This project is about the impact of materials handling in the state function of the organization. material today are life blood of any manufacturing firm, organization, or an industry .for an efficient production and operation ,all material and resources must be available at the right, right quality . Right quality, right place and price, failure will slow down production and incur cost. To handle manage materials is to manage the life of an organization because organization spend more than 70% of their working capital on material and thus brings rise to the need for an efficient materials handling because of huge money invested on materials.
All the activity involved in the movement of materials within an organization is termed ‘’material handling ‘’ which thus , every operation that required the raising, covering or movement of material from one point of operation to another known as materials handling (Obuseh and chikwendu,2011) with an effective performance appraisal Rokona Organization Industry PLC
Brief History Of Rokona Industry
Rokona industry PLC was incorporated on the 11th September 19978 as a private limited liability company with objective of manufacturing of toiletries , house hold , product and key personal hygiene product for the health care market .
The company maintains its head at AJAYI Lagos. while its factory is located at plot 5 mission road , Umualum Nekede, Owerri In Imo State .it also maintain sale offices and depot in Kano State and in Abia State .
The company stated as the wholly indigenous private enterprise second tier securities market of the Nigeria stock exchange, the company shares is nope being held by the Nigerian public individual association and corporate organizations.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Here we are going to take a close look at certain problems which are problems of materials handling in a organizations, firms, and they are stated as follows:
1. The problems designing an organizational structure suitable for material handling management operation.
2. The problem of lack of coordination and interaction between various materials handlings operation due to division of materials handling functions amongst stores purchasing, production, materials management and logistics department.
3. The problem of moving materials between the point of delivery the storage area and the point of use.
4. The problem of use of wrong material handling development which leads to double handling.
5. The problem of inefficient handling of material which leads to premature stock handling.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The essence of material handling in an organization firm centres on the coordination and control of market handling cost, increase of capacity, improvement of working conditions, improvement in contribution and as well maximize profit. In view of the objective of the study the following are included:
- To find out if efficient handling materials can prevent premature stock deteriorations.
- To find ways of moving materials effectively between the point of delivery, the storage area and point of use.
- To find out ways of avoiding or preventing double handling of materials in the firm.
- To find out the contribution of materials handling with respect to profitability and success of the organization.
1.4 Research Questions
To empirically address some of the issues raised in the statement of research problem, attempt would be made to answer the following questions:
- Does inefficient handling of materials lead to premature stock deterioration?
- Will efficient materials handling contribute to the success and profitability of the firm?
- Will the use of wrong materials handling devices lead to double handling?
- Does the organizational structural design suitable for materials handling management operation?
- Will efficient handling of materials reduce total materials cost and on overall cost?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
The significance of this study centers on those who will gain or benefit from the study such as:
1. The researcher: This is because the study is a requirement for the award of ND (National Diploma) in Purchasing and Supply by NBTE. Thus, without this study certificate will be awarded.
2. Other student: It will serve as a data bank to other students who may be faced with similar problem for reference purpose.
3. The firm of study: On completion of the study, the research work will serve as a bank to a standard which firm of the based study would use to measure their performance. The result is that they would be able to know whether they have been doing things right or wrong and therefore learn from it.
4. The industry: This study will create the necessary awareness that will enable firms within the industry that have started doing things right to do so.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This study is designed to cover only Rokana organizational industries PLC, Owerri, particularly the materials handling unit, and it is relationship with other functional departments in the firm. The study enhances all the materials handling operation in the firm like transporting of materials from one place to another, coordinating and controlling of the various activities of materials handling and other relate activities which involves in materials handling.
The area of emphasis includes the impact of effective materials handling in the firm. More so the research also carried out an indeed investigation on the reason why the concept is not being adopted to the fullest despite the tremendous benefit derived from materials handling.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
In carrying out this research, i was confronted with certain number of limitations which include time problem and financial constraints. Other problem include the distance of the firm covered during this research, the attitude of staff as they were very suspicious of the research mission, and as a result were unwilling to release the necessary data needed. Finally, the least constraint was the vastness of the area covered by the study. In view of this, those area’s were not all treated in details.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
Words having meaning and their meaning tend to differentiate directly under different contexts and usages. It is for this reasons that on attempt is made here to clearly define the meaning of some working concept used in this study.
1. Material Handling:
This is the application of analytical method and equipment design consideration to the problems of storing, packaging and moving products and materials in any firm in the prescribed mode.
2. Double Handling:
This is a situation where materials are handed more times than required as a result of inefficiency within the supply chain management system.
This is that function responsible for obtaining by purchase, lease or other legal means, equipment, materials, supplies and services required by an undertaking for use in production. It is said that part of the procurement which has to do with actual negotiation system.
4. Mechanical Handling:
This has to with the use of mechanical device of aids in the movement, storage and handling of materials.
5. Fixed Part System:
This is a system allows materials to be selected and positioned on coverage for movement along a fixed gang-way.
6. Non-Fixed System:
this involves the use of manual effort or equipment to pick material and move drops them at specified spots
7. Automated System:
this applies to a combination of different equipment to select, pick, position and or move materials from one spot to another.
8. Manual Handling:
this is the natural way of handling materials by hand with the use of ladders, trolleys, sack trick etc.
9. Hand Truck:
the most used type is the wheelbarrow, which is designed for carrying small quantities of sand, gravel and other loose materials etc.
10. Hand Stackers:
this is made up of a vertical framework of angle iron carrying a platform, which can be raised or lowered for stacking or un-stacking.
this is a form wood or metal trough inclined at such and that artides will slide down when placed upon it. It is principally used for transporting stores from upper to lower floor.
A conveyor is specially designed for the movement floors goods/materials from one definite path and is used for transportation of materials over a long distance.
13. Fork Lift Trucks :
forklifts is described as the mechanical handling equipment that has a projecting arms of forks which are inserted below the platform of the pallet and raised to clear the ground up to say, a height of 13 meters away.
14. Sack Barrow:
This is designed for bagged goods and they are used were in coming and/or outgoing goods consist of number of different items of reasonable size and weight held in fixed locations in different parts of the building, for instance, machinery, or transport spares.
15. Pulley Blocks:
A pulley block is designed ito a pulley system fixed to an overhead beam and fitted with a lifting hook at the end of the chain.
I bet you, the complete material is fully loaded. This is just an excerpt. The Material is in MS-Word Format which you can easily edit and is comprehensive for a complete research work for this topic
📩How to get the complete material
The complete material is
N3,000. You are to make payment to :
Account No: 0811003731,
Bank Name: Access Bank,
Acct Name: Samphina Academy.
The mode of payment is through bank transfer or bank deposit
After Payment, send us the following information:
- 📍Payment Details (For Transfer:Send the account name you transferred money from | For Deposit:Snap and send the deposit receipt)
- 📍Project / Seminar Material you need (Topic)
- 📍An Active Email Address
The three(3) ways in which you can send us these information are:
- Through our email address “email@example.com”
- Through Text Message to “08143831497”
- Through WhatsApp “click to start chat“
After Sending your information and making payment, the material will be forwarded to you in less than 10mins via your email address