The Impact Of The Internet On Secretarial Profession
This study is on impact of internet on the secretarial profession. The objectives of the study are, to look and find out the impact of internet in the secretarial profession, to ascertain if there are problems being caused by the internet in secretarial profession, to know actual, impact of the internet in the lives of individual secretaries, to ascertain if the use of internet facilities is a monotonous task to the secretary and to provide remedies and solution to such problems. The total population for the study is 200 staff of selected banks in Enugu State. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up human resource managers, accountants, marketers and customer care officers were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies.
1.1 Background of the study
The whole universe include our country, are so much on the brink of this immense technology. It has gotten a far reaching effect on almost all human endeavour. Most people understood what impact, the modern technology, (INTERNET) is playing to address the issue of performance on the secretarial profession in this new era. Truly, most learned and talented scholars have commented so much on this topic. But the researchers of this project work, have tried to portray in a special way, the impact of the internet with regards to the performance of the secretarial profession. The internet is a specific collaboration of independently managed networks that allow its users at disparate heterogeneous computer net works to communicate with each other across organization and geographical boundaries. Its main function in any social system may be identified as information, education, entertainers, integration, discussion and communication. Therefore, the internet as a super high way in collecting and accessing of information, has been arouse to perform all these immeasurable impact for the rest of the world. To be precise, one cannot talk about information and access, without making regular reference to the information technologies and its convergence that is the internet. This information and communication technologies are rapidly changing the ways are work and live, most especially with regards to the way the office is been handled. We see a world of networks that is bringing new opportunities and options to people at work, at home and on the more directly stating how our society live, work, play, learn and how the involves. In secretarial profession, information and communication are the very essence, and that is what internet is all about. Information values are been derive from an entity whom data is assign to it, therefore, becomes a commodity and indeed the lifeblood of every activity that is performed in an organization. Stressing more on the meaning of the internet and how it works, the April 10, 2002, issue of “Awake” magazine describe the internet as a global collection of many different types of computers and computer networks that are linked together. The question now is, how far this form of inexhaustible, resource can carry the users with special internet in the secretarial profession. Moreover, in this profession, people who are more acquainted and conversant with the services that the personal computer renders, will no doubt, find the internet fascinating jobs made easy and enjoyable. And people who are financial incapacitated and are unable to acquire this precious super high way information gathers what risk are involved, who are supposed to use this inexhaustible resource? The aim of this study is to know more in the impact of internet on information and communication in secretarial profession.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Generally, people think that the internet has no impact on secretarial profession, it is also their believe that secretaries have no need for the internet at all, rather, they say that secretaries prefer using typewriter in carrying out their duties their than the internet that secretaries including internet in their profession, makes their works to be hectic. In view of this, so many scholars have the same opinion that internet is of no use to secretarial profession. According to Plato, the internet is used by high senior officials and those trained personnel and as much, secretaries do not fit into that cadre. While Ford Walter, in his own stressed that the primary duties of a secretary is to note down the minutes of meetings, take down records and as well carrying out orders from the authorities and it involves the use of the typewriter”. Also, this was design to know, whether internet facilities is a monotonous task to secretaries and whether it is of any impact to individual secretaries and their lives. For this and many more reasons, we have decided to look into this and carry out a research work to find out whether it is true that this internet is of no importance to secretarial profession, and as well find out the actual impact the internet has to secretarial profession.
1.3 The Objectives of the Study
In view of the above problems earlier stated, this research work is therefore designed as follows:
- To look and find out the impact of internet in the secretarial profession.
- To ascertain if there are problems being caused by the internet in secretarial profession.
- To know actual, impact of the internet in the lives of individual secretaries.
- To ascertain if the use of internet facilities is a monotonous task to the secretary.
- To provide remedies and solution to such problems.
1.4 Research Hypotheses
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
- H0: there is no impact of internet in the secretarial profession.
H1: there is impact of internet in the secretarial profession
- H02: there are no problems being caused by the internet in secretarial profession.
H2: there are problems being caused by the internet in secretarial profession.
1.5 Significance of the Study
It is important that secretaries should at times take critical look outside their private area of concentration and state the interest system of improving the techniques of their field of specialization. This study is not only imperative to the secretaries, but will also serve as a green light to the entertainment world, education, communication and media practitioners, on how to restructure their programmes to suit their receiving audience. It will moreover, help the secretary to be abreast with the events taking place within and outside the country.
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Study
The geographical area covered by the researchers is Enugu metropolis. Some selected Banks in Enugu State are used as samples in which judging the impact of the internet to the secretarial profession, will be based. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) Availability of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational Privacy:
Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities.
1.7 Definition of Terms
The Internet is the global system of interconnected computer networks that use the Internet protocol suite to link devices worldwide
Relating to the work or position of a secretary.
A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply disinterested objective counsel and service to others, for a direct and definite compensation.
1.8 Organization of the Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain impact of internet on the secretarial profession
In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations made which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefits in addressing the challenges internet on the secretarial profession
This study was impact of internet on the secretarial profession. Five objectives were raised which included: To look and find out the impact of internet in the secretarial profession, to ascertain if there are problems being caused by the internet in secretarial profession, to know actual, impact of the internet in the lives of individual secretaries, to ascertain if the use of internet facilities is a monotonous task to the secretary, to provide remedies and solution to such problems. In line with these objectives, two research hypotheses were formulated and two null hypotheses were posited. The total population for the study is 200 staff of selected banks in Enugu State. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up human resource managers, accountants, marketers and customer care officers were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
The role of ICT cannot be ignored in the efficient and effective performance of office technology managers / secretaries towards the achievement of organisational objectives. ICT has provided and opened a lot of ways by which office technology managers/secretaries can perform various office functions with greater ease and speed. It enables secretaries to interact with other colleagues elsewhere without necessarily leaving their own domain. It has entirely changed the way office duties and functions are performed. ICT contributes and enables management decision making in an organization, it eliminates deterioration which characterized paper office, it serves as a permanent residential quarters for information where they can be contacted easily in their perfect state of being as at when needed for communicating.
- Office Technology Managers/Secretaries should embark on ICT training courses, seminars, workshops both for existing and prospective secretaries at regular intervals to keep in pace with the current wave in this technologically changing world.
- Appropriate legislation and implementation procedures should be in place that will encourage more public and private business organisations adapt to the use of suitable or appropriate ICT in the performance of secretarial functions by the secretaries.
- The cost of procurement and installation of some ICT devices are still out of the reach of the common man. Therefore, government should reduce import duties or tax free ICT devices and gadgets to enable more people and organisations have them.
- Secretarial training institutions such as schools, polytechnics, colleges of education, universities, etc should be provided with necessary support and adequate ICT machines and devices with which to train and prepare secretaries for the world of work in the process of teaching and learning.
- Recruitment and retention of qualified maintenance and support service staff to render assistance and provide on-the-spot maintenance services on ICT in various organisations should be vigorously pursued to reduce operating costs.
- Government should make electricity available for 24 hours a day. Apart from this, a standby generator should be provided by respective organisations as electricity supply is the key fact for ICT development in any economy.
How To Get The Complete Material For The Impact Of The Internet On Secretarial Profession
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Impact Of The Internet On Secretarial Profession
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply