The Impact Of Information And Communication Technology On The Banking Industries And Increased Profitability (A Case Study Of Fidelity Bank Plc And Intercontinental Bank Plc)
This research work is designed to look on effective information and communication technology as a tool for efficient banking operations and increased profitability in commercial banks. A critical assessment of Fidelity Bank Plc and Intercontinental Bank Plc. prior to this time, there has been unprecedented explosion of Communication and Information deficiencies in banking operations.
But in line with technological innovation and increased awareness of customers, the commercial banks has imbibed the application of Information and Technology Concepts, techniques, develop ICT products in order to operate in these competitive environment characterized by these changing conditions. The data used in this research were collected from various sources which include textbooks, Journals, Internet. Questionnaires were also administered to bank staff and customers so as to obtain the required information.
The sample size used was forty five (45) and 45 questionnaires were distributed while forty (40) were properly filled and returned; the responses from the questionnaires were critically analyzed and tested using Chi-Square (x2). Since effective Information and Communication Technology is an essential tool for the proper actualization of organizational goals, without effective Information and Communication, there will no common understanding between staff and customers.
Hence Recommendations were made to the banks selected on difficulties that can hamper effective Information and Communication Technology which includes: Untimeliness and Inaccuracy, use of technical words, making use of ambiguous words and installing the right caliber of management. These difficulties if properly addressed will increase efficient banking operations.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- 1.1. Background of the sturdy
- 1.2. Statement of the problem
- 1.3. Objective of the study
- 1.4. Research Questions
- 1.5. Statement of hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Scope of the study
- 1.8 Limitations of the study
- 1.9 Definition of terms.
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 The concept of information communication.
- 2.3 Types of Information Communication Technology.
- 2.4 Effective Information Communication technology as a tool for efficient banking operations.
- 2.5 The need for effective Information Communication Technology in commercial banks.
- 2.6 Channels of information and communication technology.
- 2.7 Sources of information for commercial banks.
- 2.8 Barriers to effective communication technology in commercial banks.
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources of Data Collection/method of data collection.
- 3.4 Population and sample size.
- 3.5 Sampling techniques
- 3.6 Validity and Reliability of data.
- 3.7 Methods of data analysis.
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data.
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Data Analysis
- 4.4 Test of Hypothesis
- 4.5 Interpretation of results.
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendations
- Appendix I
- Appendix II
This is the introductory chapter of the chapters. is briefly explains the background of the study, statement of the problem, objectives of the study, research questions, statement of hypothesis, significance of the study, scope of the study, limitations of the study and definition of terms.
1.1 Background of the study
Arunma et al (2008) stated that the last century has witnessed an unprecedented acceleration in the pace of technology development. New technologies, including information technology, biotechnology, materials technology and Nanotechnology are pervasive and have become important engines of growth. Social and political changes.
The applications of knowledge and innovation are widely recognized as the drivers of these new technologies and have played a crucial role in the creation of wealth and the rise in the quality of life in both developed and developing countries.
Akinlolu (2005) also stated that people in an organization typically spend over 75% of their time in an interpersonal situation. Thus, it is not surprise to find that at the root of a large number of organizational problems is poor information and communication technology. Effective communication is an essential component of organizational success whether it is at the interpersonal, inter-group, organizational or external level. Today’s business environment is very dynamic and undergoes rapid changes as a result of technology innovation, increased awareness and demand from customers.
Business organizations, especially the banking industry of 21st century operates in a complex and competitive environment characterized by these changing conditions and highly unpredictable economic climate. Therefore the application of information and communication technology concepts, techniques, policies and implementation strategies to banking services has become a subject of fundamental importance and concerns to all banks and indeed a prerequisite for local and global competiveness.
Information and communication technology directly affects how managers decide how they plan and what products and services are offered in the banking industry. It has continue to change the way banks and corporate relationships are organized worldwide and the variety of information devices available to enhance the speed and quality of services delivered.
1.2 Statement of Problem
For there to be a valid research work, the following problems were stated.
- The problem associated with ineffective information and communication technology hinders the efficient banking operation.
- The problem of ineffective communication technology which has resulted into loss of confidence from the customers/depositors.
- Problem of inadequate information and communication technology in the banking industry.
1.3 Objective of the Study
This research work seeks to achieve the following objectives.
- To measure the effectiveness of information and communication technology in the operations of commercial banks.
- To evaluate the response of Nigerian banks to this new trend.
- To ascertain the resultant effects of effective communication technology in commercial banks.
- To examine the extent to which they have adopted innovative technologies in their operations.
1.4 Research Questions
- What is information and communication technology?
- Does ineffectiveness of information communication technology constitute a major difficulty for efficient banking in commercial banks?
- Has there been any remarkable impact on the growth of Nigeria economy as a result of effective information communication technology?
- Why is information communication technology important?
- What products does bank able to produce for her customers as a result of information communication technology?
1.5 Statement of Hypothesis
- H1: Effective information and communication technology is a tool for effective banking operations.
- H2: Effective information and communication technology increases bank profitability.
1.6 Significance of the Study
This study will provide the following significance such as:
- The research work is in partial fulfillment for the requirement for the award of National Higher Diploma (HND) in department of banking and finance.
- It will benefit those that will make use of this research work especially students who may find pleasure in delving into a similar research in future.
- To prescribe measures that could be adopted for effective communication technology.
- The research work will recommend solutions on how information will be passed though the top level management as well as their numerous customers.
1.7 Scope of the Study
For the purpose of solving these problems, this research will center itself to the effectiveness of information and communication technology in commercial banks. Also this study will widen itself to accommodate and addresses the complex problems surrounding effective communication technology in Nigerian commercial banks. Emphasis is on Fidelity bank Plc and Intercontinental Bank Plc.
1.8 Limitations of the Study
In this study, they course of carrying out this research encounters a lot of difficulties and was constrained in many areas among which are:
Data From Banks:
The problem of getting the managers, staff and customers of the two banks to answer questions in the proposed questionnaire, in many cases, information given by both banks and the ones from internet were not simplified. That is, they are very difficult to understand.
In the aspect of theoretical and practical of this work, the researcher being a student had to apportion her time so as to carry out concurrently with other academic assignment.
The research was constrained by cavity of materials and other expenses. However, in spite of the limitations, effort were made by the researcher to utilize the limited resources at her disposal to ensure that the work is successfully completed
1.9 Definition of Terms
For the purpose of this research the following terms means:
Information And Communication Technology:
This is the automation of processes, controls and information production using computers, telecommunications, software and ancillary equipment such as ATM, Debit cards.
Basically, communication is social interaction that is actualized through the exchange of messages and their ascribed meanings.
It consists of facts providing knowledge relating to a specific event which may be used as a basis for making a decision to modify a course of action that would otherwise be implemented.
Something that has never happened or been known before.
This involves a great change of something.
These are bank services that are available to their customers.
A raw material input in the production of information.
Producing the result that is wanted.
Something that cannot be predicted.
Something or doing something too important to be without.
This is complicated official rules used by government or organizations.
Expressing disapproval of something and saying what is bad about them.
Necessary or essential that help something to succeed.
The quality of something that makes it easy to understand.
A guess or assumption about a certain problem or set of circumstance reasonable supposition that may be right or wrong.
A test of statistical significant which test one of how well your model of expected distribution fits the observed distribution.
The state of being logical and true.
5.0 Summary Conclusion and Recommendations
This chapter focuses on summary, conclusion and recommendations. In this research, an attempt has been made to assess the impact of effective information and communication technology on Banks operations so as to attain efficiency.
This research work examines how effective Information and Communication Technology has contributed to the efficient banking operation of commercial banks.
Effective Information and communication is when certain elements such as what to communicate, the ability to communicate the necessary information and data, willingness to communicate and the structure of the organization are intact.
On other hand, Technology in its aspect is the facilities needed to carry banking operations efficiently like ATM, Credit card, Debit card etc. Therefore there is need for effective information and communication technology because effective communication in any organization especially Banks is inevitable for the proper actualization of organizational goal, without effective information and communication technology, employees will not know how and where to source information from.
Also, there are some difficulties that face information and communication technology thereby making it ineffective; they are the use of ambiguous words, noise, use of technical words, Habitual Criticism and Assumption in terms of communication. In terms of technology fake machines and when there is no proper network for those machines to work.
Further more, Communication in organization involves getting a message or idea from a sender to receiver in acceptable and accurate forms and for effectiveness, there is need for feedback. Feedback tends to ensure and strengthen the fact that the message was understood by the receiver, otherwise it is not communicated.
Communication therefore serves as a vital link in the allocation, utilization and combination of all organization resources geared towards the attainment of set goals. The result from the three hypothesis revealed that effective information and communication is really a tool for efficient banking operations and also increases bank profitability.
This effectiveness comes in form of transparency in carrying out her operations. Also the result proved that customers and banks have benefited a lot, as it reduces delay in banking operations, provides quick service delivery to customers. And to the bank more customers which in turn increase deposits/patronage.
Effective Information and Communication Technology is an essential component of organizational success whether it is at the inter-personal, inter-group, organizational or external levels. Information Communication must take the nature of dynamic as to sustain organizations to interact and exchange in formation, resources with other environment (internal and external), in order to become adaptive and innovative. Again, Reinhart (2005), in his statement says that, for information and communication to be effective, the parties involves should speak more clearly and listen more closely to each other. That is to say that effective information communication should promote common understanding between both staff and customers to the communication process. It was also shown from the analysis of data that ineffectiveness of one system will hamper the effectiveness of information flow.
On the basis of the findings in this study, transparency is needed and should exist among the system before there will be effective information and communication. The absence of the following will make information and communication technology to be ineffective.
- Untimeliness and Inaccuracy: Information should be timely and accurate. This is because, if a wrong in formation is given very late, there will be no time to effect change, thereby making communication ineffective.
- Use of Technical Words: The use of technical words should be discouraged, especially among the system. Technical words make information communication to be non-transparent.
- Use of Technology Machines: Proper machines should be provided in other to keep accurate records of customers account. At times, withdrawing made upon a customer might be credited in his or her account without the machine paying the customer especially ATM. This can bring ineffectiveness of communication through transactions.
- The Use of Ambiguous Words: The uses of simple words are preferred to the use of vocabularies, as it may constitute ineffective communication. Information and communication is said to be effective when it gets to the receiver, and he or she understood it and give feedback.
- As far as possible, Banks should endeavor to install the right caliber of management in their organization. This is because there is no better yardstick for measuring effectiveness and efficiency in banking operations than the arrangement made for management. Good management is the key to the whole operations; remove it and what is left is tantamount to a castle in the air, which may discourage effective information and Communication Technology.
The Impact Of Information And Communication Technology On The Banking Industries And Increased Profitability (A Case Study Of Fidelity Bank Plc And Intercontinental Bank Plc)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Impact Of Information And Communication Technology On The Banking Industries And Increased Profitability (A Case Study Of Fidelity Bank Plc And Intercontinental Bank Plc)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “The Impact Of Information And Communication Technology On The Banking Industries And Increased Profitability (A Case Study Of Fidelity Bank Plc And Intercontinental Bank Plc)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Impact Of Information And Communication Technology On The Banking Industries And Increased Profitability (A Case Study Of Fidelity Bank Plc And Intercontinental Bank Plc)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.