The Impact Of Employee Participation In Decision Making And Organizational Productivity (A Study Of Fidelity Banks In Lagos State)
This study is concerned with an investigation of the existing level of workers participation in organization decision making and productivity within the work organization or environment. The study involving a survey in which a total of 100 [one hundred] draw of a bank in Lagos were used as subjects.
Results shows that employees demonstrated high interests in participation in the decision making process with their respective work places. However, the actual level of participation in management decision making demonstrated by the employees were found to be relatively low.
The study reveals a growing desire of non management employees in the Nigeria work environment to exercise greater involvement in the decision making process of their organization.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Research question
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitation of the study
- 1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 What is employee participation
- 2.3 Decision making
- 2.4 Some decision making theories
- 2.5 Empowerment
- 2.6 Method of employee participation
- 2.7 Conditions of employee participation in decision making
- 2.8 Benefits of employee participation
- 2.9 Adverse Effects of employee Participation
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sample size
- 3.5 Sample techniques
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring Instrument
- 3.7 Method of data analysis
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Analysis of data
- 4.4 Interpretation of data
5.0 Summary Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of findings
- 5.3 Conclusions
- 5.4 Recommendations
This research work is anchored on the need to raise the productivity level of workers through appropriate motivational techniques. The involvement of workers in management decision making is engendered as a means for inducing motivation in the workers leading to positive work attitude and high productivity.
Employee participation is deemed desirable in view of the benefits of workers participation to organization and society at large. Worker participation has been seen as capable of providing workers conducive work environment, opportunity to exercise their innate potentials and willingness to pursue corporate goal of the organization.
1.1 Background of the Study
The concept of employee participation represent a popular theme in the world of work among scholars in the filed of industrial sociology. Industrial relations as well as management. It refers to any arrangement which is designed to involve low cadre employees [workers] in the important decision making with the work place. This implies that rather than saddling with a group within the enterprise [for instance management] with the responsibility of making decisions [including the workers] would be involved in its formulation and implementation.
Decision making or Decision according to the oxford advance learner is the action of deciding a conclusion reached and a judgment arrived at. Therefore decision making is the most germane activities management of muitifanous organization ranging form small –scale organization to multinational corporations. Decision making styles through out organization are changing because the task the environment and the people have changed. We are not marching troops into battle, we do not want blind obedience. Competitive advantage is now the results of employer making decision thinking being creative and asking questions.
Employee participation implies arrangement designed to involve workers in the enterprise decision making process. This allows for employees involvement in the initiation, formulation and implementation of decision within the enterprise. The concept can also be understood in terms of a new approach to industry and society in which people want to be interested with the taking of decision which have direct bearing on them.
McGregor (1960 ) contend that employee participation consist basically in creating opportunities under suitable condition for people to influence decision which affects them. It is a special care of delegation in which the subordinate gain greater control greater freedom of choice with respect to bridging the communication gap between the management and the workers. This serve to create a sense of belonging among the workers as well as a conducive environment in which both the workers would voluntarily contribute to healthy industrial relations.
When most managers are honesty they will acknowledge that their employee often have greater knowledge about their work than the do. Clearly, effectiveness can only be achieved with their total involvement management at times, see decisions to the heart of their job in that, they must always choose what is to be done, who will do it, where and most at times, how it will be done.
It is based on the above that the research wishes to asses the impact of employee participation in decision making and also on organizational production in Nigeria using Fidelity banks in Lagos as a case study.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The spread of democratic value to virtually every society today has brought the need to examine the implication of this trend to other spheres of life. With respect to economic sector, employees are faced with the dilemma of how to cope with the authoritative management in the work place with while living in a democratic society which guarantee basic fundamental freedom.
In addition the denial of workers active involvement in decision making is held to be one of the major causes of the problems which are manifested daily in the work lives of the modern employees. The implication of these employees of increasing exposure to a monetized society, rising education and under contact among people resulting from the break up of artificial barriers was to shift these aspirations to a more satisfying work of experience greater opportunity for personal development and under scope in exercise of initiative.
Specifically, the refusal of work organization to recognize the human factor in industrial production through greater involvement of employee in its managements decision making would tend to create human problem in this setting. An employee is a society being who brings his personality, hopes, aspirations, anxieties, feelings and attitude to the work place.
He seeks satisfaction and meaning in his work as he does in other sphere of life, when he finds that his work does not provide him with the opportunity to realize his potential [for instance, through strict management control] he tends to engage in negative behaviour like absenteeism, apathy, low commitment and low productivity. The implication of these negative tendencies resulting from strict management among scholars interested in healthy industrial relations.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The control objective of the study is to determine the
level of employee participation in management decision making and organization productivity in the Nigeria industry. The specific objectives are to:
- Ascertain workers level of involvement in the decision making process of their work places.
- Establish the general attitude of workers towards employee participation in management decision making.
- Determine factors which aid or hinder the observed level of participation.
- Investigate the implications of employee participation to workers and their organizations.
1.4 Research Question
In efforts to accomplishing this research work effectively and perfectly the research present the following.
- To what extent do employee participation in decision making.
- Does management staff make decision without pre and post discussion and consultation with employees?
- Does management change decision when rejected by employees?
- How often do employees meet to discuss with manager?
1.5 Significance of the Study
In all aspect this research will be relevant to the management and employees of the Nigeria industry. It will also be beneficial to other public sector organization in Nigeria. Also it will be of vital importance to government, academically potential and future researcher on the issue of employee participation in management decision-making. This empirical is also germane to the researcher
since it is a partial requirement for the award of higher national diploma in public Administration and management.
1.6 Scope of the Study
Particularly, this research work focuses on the impact of employee participation in decision making and organization productivity using fidelity banks as a case study.
1.7 Limitation of the Study
Due to the result of financial problem time constraints, apathy on the part of the respondents and bureaucratic procedure involved affected the study and made the work uneasy to consummate or accomplish.
1.8 Definition of Terms
– The selection from among alternative of a course of actions.
– A measure of how resource are brought together in organization and utilized for accomplishing a set result.
– These are made up of top and middle level management. Top management includes share-holder, boards of directors and managing directors. While the middle management include head of department, manager deputy and assistant deputy.
– Relevant important or pertinent
Heart of Their Job:
– As it is used in the research work means their main job.
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
This chapter focuses on the findings, conclusion and recommendations relevant to the problem identified in the research
5.2 Summary Of Findings
The research sought to access the impact of employee participation as an effective management tool in decision making in organizations by seeking the views of management, union and the general staff body. Elicited responses from all the three groups point to the fact that it is a good thing to practice and also that there are benefits to be gained from employee participation in that the impact of such practice on implementation of polices would be highly positive. Though it was revealed from the research that non-participation of employees could lead to some sort of employee dissatisfaction, it would not lead to a high rate of employee turnover or industrial strikes for that matter.
It emerged from the research that conducted at Fidelity bank that majority of employee are involved in decision making in one way or the other. They intimated that employee participation contributed effectively to decision implementation and create an atmosphere for belongingness and ownership of the organization. It is a tool that promotes a win –win situation bringing about the realization that everyone is a stake holder and therefore has to ensure that organization goals are achieved for the benefits of all.
It can be concluded from the study undertaken that employees participation an decision making in organization would positively impact the fortunes of any organization that practice it. It makes employees feel more responsible for their actions and see themselves as stake holders who must do all in their power to ensure that decisions are implemented well for the benefit of all. This lives on for generation to come so that the fore runners can look back and feel satisfied that they contributed to the nurturing and growth of the decision making may be low when knowledge is kills and abilities on specific matters are needed to arrive at a decision when employees lack these needed skills involving them would make the decision making process rather long and cumbersome leading to delays.
It was found from the research that involving employee in decision making would contributed effectively to the implementation of decision. The following recommendations are based on the above views of employees:
- That the views of the employees should be sought on matters that affect their lives and work in the organization as this would lead to increase in productivity and an atmosphere of harmony and belongingness.
- Employees should be involved by asking them to input ideas to appreciate the respective roles they play in decision implementation by training them so that they can have the right skills, knowledge and ability to play their roles effectively.
- Increment of flexibility in the organization helps to increase organization performance when flexibility is high through cross training and team work; employees know about the schedules and can be innovative.
- Employees should also be given responsibility to own their out comes both positive and negative and they should be allowed to make decisions appropriate at their level of authority without checking everything out with their bosses.
- They should be coached to plan and manage their time well and encouraged to see their fellow workers as team members and resources for help.
- There should be clarity where employees are made to understand the big picture about the company’s goals and strategies and understand how their own functions and job fit into the scheme of things.
- It is recommended that brainstorming work shops which would help people think through the practical of ideas and negotiating with others a result which is acceptable to as many people as possible is encouraged.
When these recommendations are practiced in the organization, it will lead to commitment and ownership of organization goals and improved performance which will culminate into increased productivity and eventually the bottom line which every organization aspires to achieve.
The Impact Of Employee Participation In Decision Making And Organizational Productivity (A Study Of Fidelity Banks In Lagos State)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Impact Of Employee Participation In Decision Making And Organizational Productivity (A Study Of Fidelity Banks In Lagos State)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “The Impact Of Employee Participation In Decision Making And Organizational Productivity (A Study Of Fidelity Banks In Lagos State)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Impact Of Employee Participation In Decision Making And Organizational Productivity (A Study Of Fidelity Banks In Lagos State)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.