The Effectiveness Of E-Learning On The Academic Performance Of Undergraduate Students Of The University Of Lagos
This study was carried out on the effectiveness of E-learning on the academic performance of undergraduate students of the university of Lagos. This study employed a descriptive survey design. The target populations for this study included the 1500 students from year 1 to year 3 students in University of Lagos. The researchers randomly selected undergraduate students from University of Lagos. Sample size of one hundred (150) students out of 1500 students was selected. A structured questionnaire was designed and as the main instrument for data collection. Findings have shown that the major reason why students have low or no competence on the application of e-learning to enhance their academic performance is due to lack of basic adequate infrastructure and well-equipped compute laboratories in universities in University of Lagos. Findings also showed that e-learning raises interest and performance of students generally. The study investigated the fundamental reasons for e-learning, the roles of e-learning on academic performance how e-teaching and e-learning can improve the quality of education among selected universities in Educational district, Lagos. The recommendations laid out based on the problem stated is the need for provision of basic adequate infrastructure and well equipped compute laboratories in University of Lagos.
1.1 Background of the Study
The era of the teacher being a reservoir of knowledge is gone. The world is moving at a jet speed as a result of advances in technology. Importantly, technology entails information and communication which may be defined as the handling and processing of information (texts, images, graphs, instruction) for use by means of electronic and communication devices such as computer, cameras, telephones (Ozoji, 2003).
E-learning, often referred to as web-based or online learning, is currently a fast growing educational tool in the developed world. It involves all teaching and assessment approaches that use technology such as Wikis, Blogs, Podcasts and learning management systems such as computers, internet and web connectivity to enhance learning experiences and research works (Mahahusudhan, 2008). This new teaching and learning approach offers potential values to traditional teaching and learning approach due to its flexibility and accessibility of information to a great number of students at a time (Naqvi, 2007).
E-learning also provides easy access to any type of information required for academic purpose through the use of internet facilities such as World Wide Web (www) based technologies and other softwares. Nkanga (2007) indicated that e-learning is a computer supported collaborative learning process that deploys the technology of computer as its main platform for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and enables both students and teachers to generate, advance and share knowledge in a more common form. Apparently, e-learning is the only promising option for effective dissemination and collection of information which can successfully accommodate the ever-growing need for access to knowledge, equity and quality of education in Nigeria.
According to Izu (2013) e-learning is defined as a learning process created by interaction with digitally delivered content, network-based services and tutoring support. E-learning is any technologically mediated learning using computers whether from a distance or in face to face classroom setting (computer assisted learning), it is a shift from traditional education or training to ICT-based personalized, flexible, individual, self-organized, collaborative learning based on a community of learners, teachers, facilitators, experts.
According to case studies, there are already a number of e-learning programs offered in developing countries. These programs are developed by various national and international initiatives. The growth of e-learning programs according to Lockwood & Gooley, 2002 is driven by the need for and potential of providing education in less expensive ways, increased access to information, effective learning and greater flexibility.
Statement of Problem
One of the major problems faced by students in learning is inability to remember what has been learnt. This problem is often caused by too much theoretical expression by the teachers while learners are passive listeners. Students memorize and regurgitate facts and concepts. These problems confronting the teaching and learning can be handled using slide presentations, audio-video presentation process and other interactive ICT software facilities in which a student interacts with and is guided by visual equipment aimed at achieving certain instructional goals (Ezeliora, 1997; Onasanya, 2002). Computer can be used to transform classroom instruction into a series of rich memorable experiences and thus, reduce boredom and forgetfulness in teaching subjects such as computer science. In recent years, the development of microcomputer in the process of teaching and learning has become widespread in educational institutions (Onasanya, 2002). Abimbade (1996) reported that the use of computer (1) increases the time learners devote to learning, (2) enhance the speed of available data and information, (3) provide immediate feed-back, (4) assist less qualified teachers and (5) increase teachers efficiently and effectiveness. Several studies have been carried out on academic performance especially on conventional students, but not much on e-learning students within the Nigeria educational system. The need to sever this ground so as to extend the frontier of knowledge in order to help improve the unimpressive e-learners’ academic performance necessitates and serves as the motivating factor for undertaking the present piece of research so as to fill the existing important research gap. Therefore, this research seeks to examine the effect of e-learning on academic performance of University of Lagos state students.
1.2 Objectives of the Study
The main objective of the study is to examine the effectiveness of E-learning on the academic performance of undergraduate student of the university of Lagos. The specific objectives of this study is as follows:
- Establish the effect of e-learning on academic performance of Undergraduate students in the University of Lagos.
- Ascertain ICT as a key factor for assessing students’ academic performance
- Examine the roles of Government and Private sector on the development of E-Learning in University of Lagos.
- Determine the effect of e-learning on the improvement of the quality of education of undergraduate students in University of Lagos.
1.3 Research Questions
The study was guided by the following research questions:
- What is the effect of E-Learning on the academic performance of undergraduate students in the University of Lagos?
- Why is ICT a key factor in assessing students’ academic performance?
- What are the roles of Government and Private sector in the development of E-Learning in University of Lagos?
- What is the effect of E-learning on the improvement of the quality of education of undergraduate students in University of Lagos?
1.4 Significance of Study
This study has great significance. First of all, the study findings will provide knowledge and information on the effect of E-learning on education and academic performance of students. It will also provide knowledge and guidelines that may be of help to policymakers. The research is of importance to planners, implementers and recipients of the curriculum to the effect that it could enhance students’ academic performance in various academic disciplines. Application of ICT-based teaching and learning in an interactive manner stimulate students’ interests to acquire knowledge and apply the acquired knowledge in solving practical life social and economic problems.
1.5 Scope of Study
The study is aimed at the effect of e-learning on the academic performance of undergraduate students in the University of Lagos.
1.6 Operational Definition of Terms
Involves use and application of information and communication technologies (ICT) to aid learning
Students efforts as measured by school grades
Is the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using and managing appropriate technological processes and resources
Information and Communication Technology (ICT):
Is the infrastructure and components that enable modern computing.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
This chapter comprises the summary of research findings as well as conclusions. The chapter further presents recommendations to the stakeholders in the Ministry of Education as based on the views of the respondents (students) on the research findings, educational implication of study and suggestions for further study.
This research work attempts to answer questions on the roles of ICT on academic performance of students, the limitations and the challenges of its integration in education systems. Information communication technologies are influencing all aspects of life including education. They are promoting changes in working conditions, handling and exchanging of information, teaching-learning approaches and so on. One area in which the effects of ICT is significant, is education. ICT is making major differences in the teaching approaches and the ways students are learning. ICT-enhanced learning environment facilitates active, collaborative, creative, integrative, and evaluative learning as an advantage over the traditional method. In other words, ICT is becoming more appropriate in the realization and implementation of the emerging pedagogy of constructivism that gives greater responsibility of learning for students. Several surveys are showing that ICT use in education systems of developed nations has comparatively advanced than ICT use in education systems of developing nations.
In addition, the major promises of ICTs use in education systems of developing countries focus on training teachers and students in new skills and introducing innovative pedagogies into the classrooms, investing on ICT infrastructure for schools and creating networks among educational institutes, improving overall standard of education by reducing the gap in quality of education between schools in urban and rural areas, initiation of smart school with objectives to foster self-paced, self-assessed, and self-directed learning through the applications of ICTs, and developing ICT policy for education and training. On the other hand, this article discusses the major limitations of ICT use in education as teacher related, student related, and technology related.
The role of ICTs in the education is recurring and unavoidable. Rapid changes in the technologies are indicating that the role of ICT in future will grow tremendously in the education sector.
- By observing current activities and practices in the education, we can say the development of ICTs within education has strongly affected on a. What is learned? b. How it is learned? c. When & where learning takes place d. Who is learning and who is teaching.
- ICT also focuses modification of the role of teachers. In addition to classroom teaching, they will have other skills and responsibilities. Teachers will act as virtual guides for students who use electronic media.
- Ultimately, the use of ICT will enhance the learning experiences of students. Also it helps them to think independently and communicate creatively. It also helps students for building successful careers and lives, in an increasingly technological world.
- We advise that both the teachers and the students should develop personal interest in the use of ICT.
- For sustainable integration of ICT in education, funding and other infrastructural issues should also be addressed
- ICT should be made compulsory in institutions and the educators should be given proper training on the effective use of ICT.
- ICT should be promoted all over the country and be made available and affordable to the people especially the educators and educational institutions.
- A stable power supply should be made available for the effective use of ICT in Nigeria.
- Teachers in the training institutions should be imbued with the skills and abilities of ICT literacy and sensibilities so that the knowledge and attitude acquired will cascade onto the learners that they come in contact with in the classrooms when they begin to practice.
- There is need to create an enabling environment for teacher education programs to strive toward producing highly qualified ICT literate teachers and teacher educators that would assist in making the integration and usage of ICT in schools a success.
- Nigeria also the need to develop a specific policy for ICT in education- a national policy for ICT in education will help to locate Nigeria in the emerging global knowledge based economy, coupled with strategic investment in education to enable greater productivity in the workforce and thus increased national competitiveness.
5.5 Areas for further study
The researchers opine that for further study, other scholars should:
- Examine the effect of E-learning on the academic performance of students in commercial subjects in the university
- Examine the challenges posed by lack of adequate availability of ICT facilities in universities in Lagos of Lagos.
- Seek to address the perceived effect of government and private sectors on e-learning in universities in Lagos.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: The Effectiveness Of E-Learning On The Academic Performance Of Undergraduate Students Of The University Of Lagos
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply