An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries
This project attempted to identify the effects of computer literacy on the job performance of modern secretaries and to find out if secretaries without computer knowledge can be conveniently employed in a modern office.
The researcher used all the secretaries in NEPA Enugu Zonal office which is 75 secretaries as the population of the study. Because of the smallest of the population size, the researcher used the entire population of 75 secretaries for the study.
The instrument used for data collection was a 20-iten structured questionnaire called ECLOSEC (effects of computer literacy on secretaries) which was prepared by the researcher.
The researcher in order to get the needed result distributed questionnaire to some staff of National Electric Power Authority, NEPA Enugu zonal office which was the area of study of this project, and their responses were converted. The researcher was able to found out that there are some effects of computer literacy on modern secretaries which are speed and accuracy, neatness, easy edition, formatting and saving of documents. Also that secretaries without computer knowledge cannot be employed in a modern office
Furthermore, the researcher agreed that the major problem of secretaries is the fear that computer has come to replace them because they know fully well that without computer knowledge they would not be able to do their work perfectly in a modern office. The researcher noticed that students are not taught word processing as a serious course and this has contributed to their failure in performing their job.
It was as a result of these findings, the researcher suggested that every secretary should try hard to become computer literate by going for the training so as to secure gainful employment in a modern office.
List Of Tables
- Table 4.1 Responses of the respondents on the effects of computer literacy on the job performance of modern secretaries
- Table 4.2 Responses of the respondents on whether the use of computer affected the efficiency of secretaries
- Table 4.3 Responses of the respondents on the effects of computer application of the productivity of secretaries.
- Table 4.4 Responses of the respondents on whether the advent of computer affected the demand for secretaries.
- Table 4.5 Responses of the respondents on whether modern secretaries who are not computer literate be employed in a modern office
- Table 4.6 Responses of the respondents on whether secretaries without computer literacy skill maintain their position in the modern office.
- Table 4.7 Responses of the respondents on whether their office still accept secretaries without computer knowledge
- Table 4.8 Responses of the respondents on whether the continues growth of computer in modern business world would make secretaries without computer literacy be conveniently employed.
- Table 4.9 Responses of the respondents on whether the knowledge of computer facilitate the work of secretaries.
- Table 4.10 Responses of the respondents on how computer facilitate the work of a secretary
- Table 4.11 Responses of the respondents on how you ease the output of work you produce with computer
- Table 4.12 Responses of the respondents on whether computer has displayed secretaries in modern office
- Table 4.13 Responses of the respondents on the importance of computer to modern secretaries
- Table 4.14 Responses of the respondents on how they accept the importance of computer to secretary.
- Table 4.15 Responses of the respondent on how had the use of computer made your role as a secretary
- Table 4.16 Responses of the respondents on whether computer has reduced the boredom of a secretary by making their routine task easy.
- Table 4.17 Responses of the respondents on whether the introduction of computer has come to replace the work of secretaries.
- Table 4.18 Responses of the respondents on how were the job opportunities of the secretaries.
- Table 4.19 Responses of the respondents on has the introduction of computer in your office
- Table 4.20 Responses of the respondents on if yes, what are the challenges
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Approval page
- List of tables
- Table of content
Chapter One; Introduction
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Purpose of the study
- 1.4 Research question
- 1.5 Hypothesis
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Significance of the study
Chapter Two; Review Of Literature
- 2.1 The meaning and development of computer
- 2.2 Importance o computer and computer literacy
- 2.3 The effects of computer literacy on modern secretaries
- 2.4 The problems of secretaries encounter in the use of computer
- 2.5 Summary of the literature reviewed.
Chapter Three; Research Methodology
- 3.1 Research design
- 3.2 Area of the study
- 3.3 Population of the study
- 3.4 Sample and sampling procedure
- 3.5 Instrument for data collection
- 3.6 Validation of the research instrument.
- 3.7 Reliability of the research instrument
- 3.8 Methods of data collection
- 3.9 Method of data analysis
- Data Presentation And Results
Chapter Five; Discussion Of Results, Implication And Recommendation
- 5.1 Discussion of results
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Implication of the research results
- 5.4 Recommendations
- 5.5 Suggestions for further research
- 5.6 Limitation of the study
1.1 Background Of The Study
In the past, centuries, secretaries keep important documents or mails in their files or drawers. These files will be kept in the file cabinet as the storage facility and this process will be in progress for years. Although these facts are kept at a stage some of these documents may get too old and tore, it can get lost or the cabinet may not contain it any longer thereby leading to its relocation. Also another worker in the organization may take away an important document without the secretary’s knowledge
Further, stones and sticks were initially used as counting tools or machine before the industrial revolution. Charles Babbage who invented the first calculating machine fore see the ineffectiveness of using the Abacus method of calculation. Computer came into existence with the help of the Harvard University coupled with the idea of Babbage with the experience gained from the use of punched cared machine. The first electric computer was build in 1944 and it was called the Electronic Numerical Integrator and calculator (ENIC)
Over the years, (during the 19th and 20th century) business officers have been under going the process of computerization in terms of installing computers and other modern equipment in pace of old And absolute ones. This computerization process started in Europe after the industrial revolution and has since gone round the world including Nigeria and Enugu.
Moreover, the duties of modern secretaries in offices and the use of computer revolves round the secret for the achievement of organizational goals because a modern office that does not have this computer may not achieve their goals effectively. A modern secretary is a person who possesses a mastery of office skills who demonstrate the ability to assume responsibilities without supervision, who exercises initiatives and judgment and who make decisions within the scope of assigned authority with the knowledge of computers.
Today most offices have been computerized and it is the secretaries that manipulates these equipments in the course of discharging their duties effectively. The question now is “To what extent does the use of computer affect the job performance of modern secretaries in terms of efficiency, quality of work done reduces mistakes in circulation and gives offices efficient cost effect analysis that would be nearly impossible with manual operations. The effects of the computer literate on the modern secretaries than becomes an issue of discussion.
Computerized technology is more powerful, more versatile and more flexible than the mechanical technology that the world has now outgrown. In the rapidly changing world where information technology and the electronic office is fast becoming a reality, secretaries cannot be pleased and rely on their basic office skills or secretarial training. Although skills and discipline will be necessary, the ability to be conversant with word processors, computer, desktop publishing equipment and computer application and future innovations will be an essential requirement. Introduction of computer technology improves the secretarial skills and experience. Office work is the area of business which has been most influenced by computer and micro processor. Secretarial work requires the use of word processor, printer and monitors to control their operations and it also help artists, scientist, engineers, accountants, etc. computers are vital to the secretaries in their management systems and storage of information.
In spite of this computer age, some secretaries are still carrying out their duties manually without the aid of computers because they are completely ignorant of the usefulness of the computer. This research therefore is carried out in order to carefully identify how computer literacy can help modern secretaries and how it will effect their duties.
1.2 Statement Of Problem
Since the introduction of computer into the business world, secretaries now find it difficult to cope with the latest development in micro age. Because there are many problems associated with the use of computer. According to Terry (1970:155) stated that the problems associated with the use of computer is heavily with the cost of maintenance. The cost of repairing and maintaining computer are so high that most of them are dumped in the office making secretaries who are acquainted with them handicapped to tackle their job. Recurrent expenses in the form of cost of stationery, ink, training of staff and special pay for such staff are problems encounters in procuring computer Onasanya (1990:248). He further said that computer reduces inefficiency on the part of the secretary, problems such as delay in production due to break down of the machines arises.
Also modern secretaries without computer literate find it difficult to cope or perform their duties well in a modern office. Many modern office now no longer employ any secretary without computer literate.
Again, the old system of filing or storage has been phased out since the introduction of computers in to the business world. Some modern secretaries cling to the use of manual machine due to their ignorant of the usefulness of computer because of their lack of knowledge of it. Hence her interest for this study to identify the effects of computer literacy on modern secretaries.
1.3 Purpose Of The Study
The aims of this study is to identify the effects of computer literacy on modern secretaries using NEPA Enugu as the focal point.
Specially, the study will try to
- Identify the effects of computer literacy on the job performance of modern secretaries.
- Find out whether modern secretaries who are not computer literate can be employed in a modern office
- Identify whether the knowledge of computer facilitates the work of modern secretaries.
- Find out the importance of computer to modern secretaries.
- Find out whether the computer has come to replace the work of secretaries.
1.4 Research Questions
To achieve the above objectives, five research questions were formulated and the research will provide answers to the following research questions.
- What are the effects o computers literacy on the job performance o modern secretaries
- Can modern secretaries who are not computer literate be employed in a modern office
- Does the knowledge of computer facilitates the work of secretaries.
- What are the importance o computer to modern secretaries
- Has the introduction of computer come to replace the work of secretaries.
The following null hypothesis will be tested.
Ho; There is no significance difference between the mean responses of female and male secretaries of NEPA Enugu on the effect of computer literacy on the job performance of modern secretaries (P<.05)
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This research is focused on an identification of the effects of computers literacy on modern secretaries in NEPA Enugu. Also to the use of observation which were employed to assess both view of the senor secretaries and junior secretaries and the top managers that work directly with the secretaries.
1.7 Significance Of The Study
This study is going to identify the effects of computer on the job performance of modern secretaries in modern office, to recommend solutions for the up-liftment of everybody in business and for the growth of Nigerian economy in particular.
This study is significant in that it will help modern secretaries to know whether computer literate is important in performing their jobs. This is to minimize and where possible to eliminate computer ignorance on the side of secretaries, workers and nature itself.
It will also help to clear the argument on whether the introduction of computer will make modern secretaries jobless or not. Many secretaries now bear it at the back of their mind that the only reason of introducing computer into our business is to chase them away from their normal position in the office
On the side of employers, the notable significance is to inform the employers on the category of secretaries to organizations will equally enjoy this research since it will help them to know, choose or employ qualified secretaries in their organizations.
The secretaries are said to be the life wire of any organization or business. When the secretaries and their employers are happy, the business itself will be invariably happy. The position of secretaries in office affair is a function of the world position in office line. Therefore, the world as a whole is a beneficiary from the study
Finally, this study is immensely significant, primarily with the respect to the fact that it constitutes a major requirement to the conferment of the Higher National Diploma in secretarial studies on the writer. The study will be beneficial to those who need the information for literature enrichment of the subject such as director, managers, secretaries and those interested in secretarial information.
An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries
This research material “An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.
How to defend your research work
This is a general guide on how to defend your research work:
1. Prepare For Questions:
If you are preparing for questions that may be asked during your defense, then your answers will flow smoothly and effectively. This will prove your knowledge on the subject e.g “An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries“, and strengthening your argument. Ask friends and family, read your work for them to listen to your presentation, and write down questions. You may be lucky the panel will ask you those you have already prepared on.
2. Strong Summary:
Summarizing your chapters will help keep your audience focused because it is easy for a mind to drift, so providing summaries will ensure your panel will follow along, even if they lose focus for a brief moment. Visual aides, such as graphs and power-point presentations can be very helpful. If you are going to use these, make sure you will practice your presentation with them.
3. Be Confident in Your Research Work:
Not knowing your topic “An Identification Of The Effects Of Computer Literacy On Modern Secretaries” inside out will cause you to struggle and ultimately fail with your defense. You need to know the subject from every angle to ensure you are fully prepared for any question that may come your way.
Reinforce your findings to conclude your defense. The finale of your presentation should focus on proving the work that has been done. You may need to recap on what has changed and remained unchanged, if is necessary.
5 . Listen:
Before you get defensive or recite a particular answer, make sure you truly understand the question being asked. Being a good listener is an important quality, because providing an inaccurate or off-topic answer will also weaken the validity of your paper.