ICT Competencies Required By Office Managers In Financial Institutions
The major purpose of this study was to identify ICT competencies required by office managers in a financial institutions. The population of the study consists of 30 mangers from union Bank, Fidelity Bank, UBA Bank, Diamond Bank . Out of the 30 Managers, Since the population was too small all the 30 population was used as the sample size. Descriptive statistics such as mean scores, tables and figures were used to analyze the questionnaire items.
The major findings of the study were that ICT competencies required by office managers are internet competencies, word processing competencies, record management competencies, telephone competencies. It was discovered that ICT enhance communication, eliminate time, reduce costs and ensures effective maintenance. It was concluded that office managers are required to acquire ICT competencies in order to handle their duties effectively. Based in this, some recommendations were made.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval Page
- Table of Contents
- Background of the Study
- Statement of the problem
- Significance of the study
- Purpose of the study
- Research Question
- Scope of the study
- General Overview of ICT
- Evaluation of Information Technology
- Computer System
- Types of Word Processing
- Summary of Literature Review
- Design of the Study
- Area of the study
- Population of the Study
- Instrument for Data Collection
- Method of Data collection
- Presentation and Analysis of Data
- Research Question one
- Research Question two
- Research Question three
- Research Question four
- Research Question five
- Discussion of findings
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- Restatement of the problem
- Summary of Findings
- Suggestions for further studies
- Appendix I
- Appendix II
- Appendix III
Background Of The Study
In financial institutions secretaries occupy a very important place in Nigeria and the world economy. Because their imagination of many people has been captured by the concept of the electronic office and the media has given the topic considerable coverage in both general and business terms. Secretaries have a lot of problems to contend with and solve in the office because of the modern and sophisticated. For these and other reasons, the researcher is to look into the information communication Technology (ICT) competences required by modern secretaries in the financial institution
The engagement, maintenance and the retention of qualified secretaries to cope with the ever increasing demands of corporate activities seems to be of interest to every organization. However, machines and the harnessing of natural resources is progressing relieving humanity from the distress of an oppressing heavy physical foil and is affording improved opportunity for the development of the mind and spirit. This is a challenging opportunity which in a null-shell can be referred to as an office automation which information communication technology (ICT) in an integral part of.
The researcher therefore, examines the importance of some major equipment found in offices and how they help the secretaries in the day to day running of her duties no doubt the following questions must readily come to ones mind what is information communication Technology? Who is a secretary and the importance of information communication Technology (ICT)
The importance of Information Communication Technology to a secretary cannot be over emphasized. Information communication technology had helped the secretary perform her duties with such ease and confidence as never before. I allows her to carry-out such routine duties as filing, typing of form letters, making copies, correcting errors with each done quickly and neatly, thus giving her enough time to do other duties, like attending her boss’s personal affairs, attending to visitors, answering telephone calls and carrying out other administrative duties on behalf of her boss.
Organization can now competently handle the increase volume of paper work despite rising costs. Work can be easily measured, to enable them justify investment on equipment and effectively utilize their most expensive resources, staff, as well as achieving cost saving organization will produce a better, faster service and prevent highly professional image to the corporate competitors and the public.
The manager benefits from the rapid turnover of paper work and indirect from the traditional support available for them. If the managers should wish to use it, the secretary will feed from so much typing. Information communication (ICT) helps executives makes more effective use of their time and relieve them of a lot of checking and proof reading. They would also be in a better position to consider delegating come work of their work in that they now have secretaries and administrative support more readily available.
According to Adeyemi (1999), Information Communication and Technology is a systematic body of tools, techniques, and infrastructure for generating, collecting, storing, processing and transmitting data information and communication Technology is the discipline encompassing computer systems telecommunication networks and multimedia application. Everyone knows that information and communication Technology deals more on the computer and it has become ubiquitous in ICT competencies required by modern secretaries in financial institution over the past decade or so.
So computer is a machine which runs on logic. Our reactions to them, however, often involve blinds faith and false perception. The huge scale of the investment in hardware and support services can lead to an assumption that there is an implicit value in ICT. Uwaje, (2001), ever since this unparallel innovation of the 1940’s man has made a long leap in technology and communication, and has since advanced considerably scientifically and economically.
Igwegbe, (2000) noted that the last century recorded a major parading shift in the way organizations desire Optimize performance and profitability. ICT was and is still the key enable this new way of working that has transformed the business 9enable by information) determines who leads and who trails Uwaje, (2002) found that , the information Technology comprising internet has turned our global village into a well furnished mansion equipped with the world’s library of infinite information and communication.
The internet has so many other features like, the electronic mail (e-mail) which provides a fast economical and convenient way to and message to family, friends and colleagues. Other includes e-news (Electronic news, E-Commerce (Electronic commerce) ATM (Automated Teller Machine) to work exchange information and communication simultaneously earth wide and in a couple of age.
The information and communication Technology machine has helped the secretaries immensely in her duty. It increases productivity in the office. Hostings (1987) agrees with this in itself has increase the productivity of a secretary. Harding (1985) said that secretaries gain in that they have at their disposal a sophisticated tool capable of tasking a drudgery and boredom of routine, repetitive work, enabling them to be more creative. ICT not only increase productivity but also reduces cost and removes much of the tedious work of the secretary.
There seems to to be different definitions for the terms “secretary” pitman (1977) stated that a “secretary is one who acts as the confidential assistant to another or who conducts the communications and private asoe4cts of an executive work. Gatenby and Wakefield (1973), looks at the secretary “as the person who is employed by another to help in various ways. A secretary writes letters, makes appointments for those who wish to interview her employer, keeps records etc. and is often called “a private secretary”
The type of training received by a secretary affords her the opportunity to be knowledgeable of the secretarial profession as well as being exposed to some aspects of administration in management organization. She is very important member of her office team and she is the backbone of the office anywhere, any time. She must be prepared to hold her company in high esteem, and protect and its good name. She has to dispatch the integrity of a worthy representative of the organization whenever She has to act on its behalf. The success of her company is her own success even if they is entails personal sacrifice.
A good secretary is not a tune watcher, in an emergency, she must be prepared to put in extra hours, she has to study her supervisor carefully and influence all his likes and dislikes. The foregoing necessitated the study, the competencies of the secretary in information and communications technology (ICT) is uncertain.
Operate in ICT, the secretary (who has got knowledge of typewriting) keys in not type on a familiar Quality board. That text appears on the screen instead of paper, of mistake is made, instead of going to great deal it wish the correct word, all at a touch of a key. The margin cab automatically be changed when the secretary is satisfied with the piece of job, prints or required copied can be made.
An information and communication technology is therefore, a computer specially programmed to handle text rather than numerical data.
Statement Of The Problem
General notion has been that adequate training is not given to modern secretaries so as to be able to make effective use of the modern office machines and equipment. This has made her job more stressful and thereby decrease productivity. This is the driving force which led into this research. The problem now may include but not limited to the fact that:
- The secretary may not process ICT competencies
- They may not process the ability to operate and or manipulate modern office equipment and machines.
- The lecturer may not be trained well and as such cannot impact non-existing knowledge hence once gives out what he has.
- The curriculum may be defective. The above among others are the driving force to this research.
Purpose Of The Study
The major purpose of this research is examine the ICT competencies required by modern secretaries is the banking industry or organizations.
- To ascertain internet competence required of office workers.
- To Examine the telephone competencies of a top flight secretary
- To ascertain various word processing competencies of an office secretary.
- To determine record management skills required of secretaries
- To find out the ICT level of impact on the office secretary.
This research study will provide answers to the following research questions
- What are the internet competencies required of office workers?
- What are telephone competencies are needed from a top flight secretary?
- What are the various word processing competencies an office secretary should possess?
- What record management skills are required of secretaries?
- What is the level of ICT impact on the office secretary?
Significance Of The Study
The study will be tremendous significance to different financial institution in Nigeria to impact desired ICT and other office Equipment skill on their staff.
This study will be usefully o secretary in the financial institution and undergraduate secretaries are preparing to face the labour market and to be familiar with the tools
The study is significantly because it would unveil the important of ICT in the financial institution and other organizations thereby improve productivity, quality of services, general efficiency and improve on the quality of secretaries.
Scope Of The Study
This study will focus on the information and communication technology competencies required by modern secretaries in the financial institutions and other organizations. The study will cover the entire secretaries and managements of some establishment. These establishments are Diamond Bank, Union Bank NITEL, Mez Enterprise. Questionnaire and interview will form the instrument to be used in this study.
Summary, Conclusions And Recommendation
Statement Of The Problems
This study was focused on “information and communication Technology (ICT) competencies requires by modern secretaries in the financial institution and other organization. The following are stated problems with the intention of finding solutions:
- The secretaries may not process ICT competencies.
- The may not process the ability to operate and or manipulate modern office equipment and machine.
- The lecturers may be trained well and as such cannot impact non-existing knowledge hence one gives out what he has.
- The curriculum may be defective. The inadequacy of current technology leads to lack of information and communication competencies
Summary Of Findings
The following findings based on the discussion were made:
- The information and communication technology (ICT) competencies required by modern secretaries in the financial institution. These information technology resources include; the internet telephone, word processing, record management, and the impact of ICT on secretary’s performance.
- The secretaries have the required internet competencies.
- These secretaries stand a better chance with the telephone competencies; they have in their different organizations
- Records or information is the hallmark upon which decisions are made in establishments. Record management competencies are of great importance to the modern secretaries in the discharge of their duties.
- It was also discovered that ICT has impact on secretaries performance. It enhances communication e.g sending documents with e-mail, eliminate time wastage on routine job, ensure security of documents, ensure effective maintenance of records, reduce cost of work production, help in transacting business quickly and help them to meet with demand of office.
From the findings, the following conclusions were made:
- Secretaries are expected to have internet competencies to perform their functions and handle varieties of tasks such as: electronic commerce (e-commerce). Key-boarding; electronic mail (e-mail)
- Majority of secretaries are now word-processing or computer literate.
- Being friendly and courteous in receiving and sending one message over the telephone.
- Secretaries are required to possess certain ICT which function and handle varieties of tasks, ability to use computer in opening of new files, ability to use password to safeguard record and ability to maintain confidential files,. Skill to operate micro-filing.
- Above all these, ICT can enhance communication, eliminate time waste on routine jobs, ensure security of documents and help secretaries to meet up with demand of office.
- Institutions of higher learning and the department of secretarial Administration should strive to train their students effectively on the use of ICT equipment.
- Internet services and computer networks should be connected to the department of secretarial administration in order to give the students the opportunity to acquire the competencies on it.
- Secretaries under-going training should be prepared to go for training outside the one offered by their department in order to up-date their ICT skills.
- Organizations should ensure that their secretaries are trained and retrained towards the application of ICT n to their job schedule in order to enhance their performance.
- Employers should Endeavour to replace the exiting manual equipment with state of the art equipment (ICT equipment) so as to maintain effectiveness and efficiency of their secretaries.
Suggestions For Further Studies
It is suggested that further study should be conducted on:
- Impact of ICT in teaching and learning in office Technology and Management programme.
- ICT competencies required of secretaries in the world of work and business.
- The effort of information and communication Technology in enhancing business activity in Nigeria.
- Information and Communication Technology a blessing or a curse.
ICT Competencies Required By Office Managers In Financial Institutions
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- ICT Competencies Required By Office Managers In Financial Institutions
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “ICT Competencies Required By Office Managers In Financial Institutions” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “ICT Competencies Required By Office Managers In Financial Institutions” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.