Federal Polytechnic Students Preference Of Selected Radio Programmes Of Hot FM Radio, Owerri
In the study, the research had critically examined the student’s preference of selected radio programme. The ultimate purpose of this study were to determine if students listernership to radio is based on timing of such programmers of Hot FM to evaluate and ascertain the students level of listernership based on the stations packaging [content]. The result of the study showed that majority of the student are [54%] also majority of the students are between the age range of 21 – 25. the already study also reveals that they to listen to radio programme based on programme timing also of the students go for such programmed based on the package [content] of the programme of the students listen to programmes for informative and educative purpose. Students have their different reasons for preferring/selecting the different programme aired.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objective of the study
- 1.4 Research question and hypothesis
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope of the study
- 1.7 Limitation of the study
- 1.8 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Theoretical frame work
- 2.1.1 Uses and gratification theory
- 2.1.2 Selective perception
- 2.2.1 Conceptional review
- 2.2.2 The Nigerian experience
- 2.2.3 The uses of radio
- 2.2.4 Radio as mass media over reader
- 2.2.5 Uses of radio in nomadic education
- 2.2.6 The objectives of using the radio for nomadic education
- 2.2.7 Radio programming
- 2.2.8 Characteristics of learning through radio
- 2.2.9 Influence of good listenership
- 2.2.10 The golden role of radio
- 2.2.11 Brief history of the selected radio station
- 2.3 Empirical review
3.0 Research Design
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Method of data collection
- 3.3 Population of the study
- 3.4 Sampling procedure
- 3.5 Sampling size
- 3.6 Description of measuring instrument
- 3.7 Reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.8 Validity of measuring instrument
- 3.9 Method of data analysis
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Presentation of data
- 4.2 Data analysis
- 4.3 Discussion of findings
5.0 Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
1.1 Background of the Study
One of the distinguishing features of human beings is that he is endowed with a free will from creation. He is therefore free to act and make choices that seem satisfactory in every faced of life and when it comes to listening and viewing.
However, as a social being, he is expected to align his values with the societal values of the society where he lives. As such, the need to be informed. Information, they say, is education and as well power. The increasing number of communication media, especially the broadcast media, radio, has made communication research an imperative.
Today, there are so many radio stations in the country with focus on catering for the audience needs. Therefore, there is need to find out how audience communication needs can be met. [Nwaogu 2010:352].
For instance, there is a need to you are supposed to be objective in research. Avoid using personal words like I, we, me, all of us etc. understand through research which progamme the audiences prefer or student selected at a particular time and why.
Since the increasing numbers of media houses are demanding for the attention and listernership of the audience, there is need for a research into factors that enhance the competitive edge of a programme.
This research will allow each media organization to know its area of competitive advantage by understanding its area of strength, weakness, opportunities and threats as to obtain their target goal which is satisfying their audience in meeting audience programmes needs the problem of choice.; this has poised a great challenge to radio stations. It is on that basic that we ask; does students’ preference programme have anything to do with circumstances beyond their control? [Time].
On the other hand, it will be right to also clarify the programme classification of the selected media houses have taken concerns of their audience needs in packaging their programme, one will therefore ask, have radio stations been able to package their programmes in every way it will satisfy their listeners audience?
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Man in his man’s everyday life he is faced with the reality of making choices. The quest to satisfy ones’ wants at a particular time has resulted to the choice of programmes that one listen to on radio. The question must frequently asked focuses on the circumstances surrounding an individual’s purpose for the selection of the programme one listens to?
Despite the array of daily programmes on the radio air waves and the time constrains faced by students of Federal Polytechnic Nekede, there are indications that students still have preference for certain programs which suits their desire at a particular time. The problem that calls for this research is the purpose or reason for students’ preference of certain radio programs and the factors that lead to the choice of certain programs over others.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
Based on the statement of the problems, this study will:
- Help find out the programmes students prefer.
- The reason why they have a preference for certain programs over others.
- Help radio stations know how to package their programmes to suit the audience preference.
- The challenges faced by students in making their choices and proffer possible solution.
1.4 Research Question And Hypothesis
- Do students have a preference of certain programs over others?
- What are the reasons for their preference?
- Are the radio stations packaging their programs to meet the needs of their audience?
- What are the challenges faced by student radio audience when choosing their programs?
- H2: Radio stations should always package their programs to meet the needs of their viewers/audience
- H2: There are many challenges faced by students radio audience when choosing their programs.
1.5 Significance Of The Study
The importance of this research is to investigate the students preference of selected radio programme of Hot fm as a means of achieving organization goals and objectives by Hot fm Owerri Imo state for the better of her employee.
It is hoped that apart from Hot fm radio, this research study might be useful to other radio stations.
It is also believed that this research will expose the employees of Hot fm radio on the areas to improve on their productivity.
This research would also be useful to researchers or scholars who might undertake detailed empirical study by using this research as a reference.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This study, student’s preference of selected programs on Hot FM Owerri, will centre on Federal radio programs preferred by students of Federal Polytechnic Nekede. Other broadcast media are left out. Reason is that the researcher wants to extensively carry out the research and going beyond this scope will be a burden. Only one radio station is selected, Hot FM Owerri.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
The constraints faced by the researcher in the course of carrying out this research were enormous including first, the time of concluding the research was short, second and the respondents, being students, were unwilling to fill the questionnaire for lack of time. Third, getting to hyposet and organize the work proved to be a heculian task not to maintain funds and power supply.
1.8 Definition Of Terms
Students are persons within the age bracket 18 – 30 studying in tertiary institutions of learning. In this case of Federal Polytechnic Nekede.
Preference is a thing that is liked better in study of students’ preference. Preference will be given to graduates of this tertiary institution in the case of Federal Polytechnic Nekede.
Radio programme is a content of plan of things that will be done or included in the development of the radio station.
Radio is equipment used for listening to programmes that are broadcast to the public.
Students are persons studying at the tertiary institution.
It is a greater interest desire for something.
A radio programme here is referred as something that people listen to on the radio.
Radio here is a process of sending and receiving messages through air using electromagnetic waves.
In the study, the research had critically examined the student’s preference radio programmes. The ultimate purpose of this study were to determine if students’ listenership to radio is based on the packages of their programmes. Using Hot FM to evaluate and as certain the students level of listenership based on the station challenged.
A total of two hundred  respondent’s randomly selected form the population for this study. The sample for the work well structured questionnaire was carefully developed and is used for data collection. The data analysis was done using simple percentage and frequency table bar charts while chi-square was used to test the hypothesis at 0.05 level of significance.
The result of the study showed that majority of the respondents were made [54%] also majority of the respondents are between the age range of 21 – 25, the study also reveals that the respondents [73%] listen to radio programme based on programme timing. Also 70% of the respondents go for such programmes based on the packaging [content] of the programme. 77% of the respondent listen to programmes for informative and educative purpose. Also 70% of the respondents receive a radio signal. One of the reason for carrying out this study is to find out why students prefer some programme to another.
The table 4.8 shows higher level of percentage of the respondents that listen to radio progarmme based on packages.
In summary, students have their different reason for preferring/selecting the different programme aired, but according to this study, higher percentage of the students [respondents] determine for preferring some programmes which solves the why? The prefer some programmes to the others.
Based on the findings, the following conclusion were drown:
- That the packaging [content] of the radio programmes also determines their preference to such programmes.
- That majority of the respondents listen to radio progammes for preference reasons.
- Despite the array of programmes from this station, the students make their choice on any programme.
- The station should research further to know also why student prefer these programmes as it will help them in packaging the programme.
- Further research of this nature should be conducted by radio station in other to know the students [audience] preference of the programme they air.
- The radio station should present programmes that suits the students’ time.
- Students of mass communication should conduct further research of this nature to enable them find out other possible ways the students could be satisfied by the radio station for improvement of some preference.
Federal Polytechnic Students Preference Of Selected Radio Programmes Of Hot FM Radio, Owerri
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Federal Polytechnic Students Preference Of Selected Radio Programmes Of Hot FM Radio, Owerri
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Federal Polytechnic Students Preference Of Selected Radio Programmes Of Hot FM Radio, Owerri” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Federal Polytechnic Students Preference Of Selected Radio Programmes Of Hot FM Radio, Owerri” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.