Factors Affecting The Performance Of Computer Science Students In Junior Secondary School (A Case Study Of Enugu North LGA)
The study investigated the factor affecting the performances of computer science students in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu state. Four research questions were formulated to guide the study. The questionnaires were constructed by the researchers in line with the research questions. Ten schools out of the fifteen schools in Enugu North Local Government Area were used for the study. The population for the study were all computer teachers 1 each from 5 schools and 2 each in 5 schools. They are all 15 in number. The entire population of the teacher in the 10 schools were used because of their limited number. The data collected was analyzed and presented using mean. Finally the results expose that there is shortage of qualified teachers teaching the subject “computer science”. The Government and schools do not provide adequate instructional materials and computer laboratories facilities which affect the learning of computer science in these schools. The government does not award scholarship to computer teachers who have distinguished themselves in excellent services. There are no standard text books for the teaching of computer in the junior secondary schools in Enugu North. All these factors affect the performance of the computer science students in the junior secondary schools in Enugu North. Recommendations were made by the researchers at the end and suggestions for further studies were also highlighted.
Table of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- Background of the Study
- Statement of the Problem
- Purpose of the Study
- Significance of the Study
- Scope of the study
- Research Questions
Review of Related Literature
- Shortage of Qualified Teachers
- Inadequate Provision of Teaching Aids and Computer
- Laboratory Facilities
- Poor Teaching Methods
- Lack of Refresher Courses (Seminars and Workshops)
- Available ways of making the teaching and learning of Computer effective in the secondary schools
- Summary of Related Literature
- Research Design
- Area of Study
- Population for Study
- Sampling and Sampling Techniques
- Instrument for Data Collection
- Validation of the Instrument
- Method of Data Collection
Presentation of Data Analysis of Data
Discussion, Conclusion, Recommendation and Summary
- Discussion of Findings
- Restatement of the Problem
- Suggestion for Further Studies
- Appendix I
- Appendix II
- Appendix III
Background of the Study
Nigeria has realized the importance of functional education for the good and services of mankind. This realization is evidenced in the National Policy on Education (FRN, 2004). Where it is emphasized that, the overall philosophy of education in Nigeria among others should be directed to building a united, strong and self reliant nation by educational activities being geared towards scientific and technological progress. In the developing world, educational policy are faced with a major task, how to create chances of success for all children and their citizenry as a whole. It is essential to overcome the problem of illiteracy, school failure and to improve the intellectual capacities of the students. Education is the process of teaching, training and learning especially in school or colleges to improve knowledge and develop skills.
Paulson-Ellis and White Church in (Eze 2002) stated that education is the imparting and acquisition of knowledge designed to develop a broad range of abilities, knowledge and skills of general application. Education is concomitant with life, this is because there is education in virtually all facets of life, this is because there is education in virtually all facets of life, one continues to learn as long as he lives.
Okeke (2004:3) opined that, “available literature on development of education attest to the fact that education has been influenced by great thinkers, computer illiterate, law, forms of government, modes of social life. A renowned Nigerian educationist and one time minister of education, Prof. A. Babs Fafunwa defined education as “an aggregate of all the process by means of which a person develops abilities, attitudes and other forms of behaviour of positive value in the society in which he lives”. Fafunwa reversed (2004:3).
The world is fast becoming a global village due to the inter connectivity that exist between countries, organizations government and other bodied as a result of development in information and communication technology (ICT). According to Olagunfu (2003), information technology is the integration of computer technology mainly in the form of internet and information management. It provides opportunities for the users to handle texts and images, numbers and graphs, sound and music as well as enable them process information in the following ways: Storage and analyzing; presenting and organization retrieving communication. In other worlds, access to information and communication is increased through computer basic technologies. A network of interconnectivity is known as the internet. World Bank (2007) stated that the internet is a powerful tool for improving the efficiency and quality of a wide range of public services especially education and health. The internet is a resource where teachers and students can access outstanding and current education-related books, journals, magazines international conferences, workshops, invitations as well as information on research focus and research grants. Computer-mediate communication is increasing and becoming common usage for people for all walks of life in the developed and developing countries. Computer is any devices that is capable of accepting, storing and processing data and giving result out in form of information in a specified format. Akukwe, (2003) defined it as an electronic device that is capable of accepting, storing and processing data as well outputting the result by following a set of instructions called a program as well as an electro-mechanical information.
French (1992), defined computer science as the application of scientific principles in designing, constructing and maintaining the computer system. The scientific study of the theory and practice of data and information, processing and knowledge of computer puts and its functions is referred to as computer science because computer are not only for storage device ad processing unit, but also helps student in excellent communication media. They are the means to access the internet and also an effective audio visual media. Computer can be used to access a vast knowledge based on research for information over the internet means of documenting the backbone management software that are part of computer system which helps the student as a means of managing large amount of data. In most junior secondary schools, student fail computer science very wells it has been noticed that a large proportion of students fail computer science in their internal and external examinations and as a result, they hardly attain the acceptable level of good performance in their results. It has been claimed that the stumbling blocks has always been their inability to master and pass computer. Unlike other courses because of the internet difficulties associated with the learning of the subject. Computer science is now being explored at all field of life because the computer knowledge in universal and varied. In the fields of research, engineering, business, medicine, communication, weather forecasting, education, finance art, healthcare-delivery and indeed most areas of human activities. The computer is an indispensable tool. The knowledge of the computer and the ability to use the computer has become so important and widespread that it has come to be an integral fact of education and literacy. Yet computer science education and literacy are lacking among many of our young boys and girls, as well as men and women today.
Computer science seems to be difficult to the secondary school students who are not very familiar with computer or who have never used it or even seen it. Some students who have even seen the computer have a narrow or even wrong notion of what it is, or what it can do. It is therefore very necessary to teach and educate our young boys and girls on computer science especially in our secondary schools. To prepare the young ones for the new demands of modern technological world there is need to improve computer science knowledge, applications and skills of the students. Many factors seem to being attributed to be part of the problems that students encounter in the learning computer science. These according to Okorie (2000) emphasized that, student lack interest in learning computer science simply because the tools or equipment use in teaching student are not provided and these includes:
- Lack of qualified teacher
- Poor learning environment among others etc.
Based on the above premises, the researchers were therefore spurred into finding out the factors that affect students’ performance in learning of computer science in the Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area.
Statement of the Problem:
For some years now, certain factors have bee affecting the performances of computer science education students in junior secondary schools. Njoku (1999) highlighted that non provision of the necessary infrastructure to secondary school student have become a setback towards effective teaching and learning. Ukeje (1996) buttressed the argument by saying that schools are in short supply of classroom teaching resources and also practically everything connected to the teaching and learning and these among other things are contributing factors to student’s poor performance in junior secondary school subjects.
Effects have been made to bring positive results from the teaching and learning of computer education in Junior Secondary Schools but effective learning has not been achieved. This is also another factor why the teaching of computer science is still concentrated at junior secondary schools in all the secondary schools in Enugu North Local Government Area. The society have seen the importance of computer education in resent times and efforts are being made to see what could be done to remove all the factors that affect the students performances almost in all Nigerian Secondary Schools, so that technological achievement and advancement aspired by many nations can be achieved in Nigeria. It is therefore necessary to ascertain those factors that affect the performances of computer science students in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State.
Purpose of the Study:
The purpose of the study are:
- To find out if there are shortage of qualified teachers in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area.
- To find out if there are adequate provision of instructional materials and computer laboratories facilities.
- To ascertain the teaching methods used in teaching the students.
- To know if refresher courses are organized for teachers.
Significance of the Study:
The importance of the study, this if effectively carried out will be beneficial to the students, the teachers, the school authorities, and the government. The result of the study would help the students to discover how they contributed towards the factors that affect their performances and it would help them to change from the obnoxious ways of behaviour that affect computer science education adversely.
The result of the study would help the teachers to know the areas they need extra effort for maintaining effective teaching and learning of computer science and improve such situations.
The school authorities from the result of the study will know those areas that contribute to ineffective teaching and learning of computer science education and would work towards improving the situation.
The result of the study will help the government to know the factors affecting the students’ performances in secondary schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State. Such knowledge would help the government in the provision of infrastructures and instructional materials to improve the teaching and learning of computer science.
Scope of the Study:
The study is limited to identifying the problems or factors affecting the performances of Computer Science Student in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State.
- Are there shortage of qualified teachers for the teaching of Computer Science in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State?
- Does inadequate provision of instructional materials and computer laboratories facilities affect the learning of Computer Science in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State?
- What methods affect the teaching and learning of Computer Science in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State?
- Does government organize refresher courses for teachers of computer science?
Discussion, Conclusion, Recommendation and Summary
This chapter deals with the restatement of the problem, summary of procedures used, principal finding, conclusion, recommendations and suggestion for further study.
Discussion of Findings
The Data were gathered through structured questionnaire administered to respondents that consists of teachers in the Junior Secondary School in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State. The questionnaires were consisting of four sections; each section was used to answer one research question. Each of these questions was expanded to accommodate various opinions of respondents towards the idea being portrayed degrees of opinion and thus.
- Strongly Agreed – SA
- Agreed – A
- Strongly Disagreed – SD
- Disagreed – D
The mean was used in calculating the result of the responses; analysis and interpretation of data were made.
From table 1, the mean score of individual items ranged from 1 to 5, this means that qualified teachers are not enough for the teaching and learning of computer science in these schools in Enugu North Local Government Area.
From table 2 the mean scores was calculated to fall within the agreed level which means there is inadequate provision of instructional material and computer laboratories in the secondary schools in Enugu North Local Government Area in Enugu State.
From table 3, the mean scores ranges from 1 to 9 respectively, falling within the region of agreed region which means that a greater mean of respondent agreed that there are factors that affect the teaching and learning of the subject.
From table 4 the mean scores ranges from 1 to 3 and this falls within the region of agreed range, which means that another factors that affect the students’ performance is the organization of refresher courses for teachers.
Restatement of the Problem:
To ensure that the performances of computer science students in Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area is well improved teachers should play their role, the governments should provide good teachers that can teach the students very well. This will promote the growth of computer science students in the Junior Secondary Schools in Enugu North Local Government Area. This study was undertaken to establish the problems encountered for the poor performances of the students in Enugu North Local Government Area.
Based on the principal finding, the following conclusions were laid down.
- According to the data gathered and analyzed in chapter I. The findings include that shortage of qualified teachers affect the learning and teaching of the subject.
- Another problem that affects their poor performances is inadequate provision of instructional materials and computer laboratories facilities.
- On the other hand another factor that affects the students’ poor performances is the poor teaching and learning of the subject.
- Another factor or problem that affects the students’ performances is that there is no organization of refresher courses for teachers
The following recommendations were made based on the findings from this research.
- The government should employ qualified computer teachers to teach in the secondary schools mentioned in Enugu North Local Government Area.
- The bodies in-charge of secondary schools in Enugu State should organize workshops and seminars for in-service teachers so that secondary school teachers on the other hand will learn the practical use of computer since the study showed that they lack knowledge of the practical aspect of computer.
- The government should see that the teachers are paid when due.
- Dedicated computer teachers should get their promotions when due.
- The school authority should allow computer science teachers in secondary schools to use the school vehicles for excursions with the students.
- The government should provide the necessary facilities and equipment for computer science education in these secondary schools.
- Computer science laboratories should be built in each of these schools.
- The government and the Parents/Teachers Association should help in providing computer/printers in the secondary schools in Enugu North Local Government Area.
- The government should supply enough standard textbooks to the school libraries in these secondary in these secondary schools.
- Computer Science teachers should utilize the necessary technique for motivation to get the students interest in the subject.
- Computer science teachers who have distinguished themselves in their job should be given scholarship by the government to further their education.
Suggestion for Further Studies:
Similar study should be concluded in secondary schools in other education zones of Enugu State and also in other States.
The study investigated the factors affecting the performance of computer students in junior secondary schools in Enugu North Local Government Area of Enugu State.
The following are the findings from the study as the factors affecting their performances in the local government area:
- Teachers of computer science are not qualified.
- They are not experienced in the practical aspect of computer science.
- The computer science teachers are not interested in their teaching job.
- The teachers are not dedicated to their duty because they are not given any incentive.
- The teachers do not go to excursions with their students.
- The teachers do not mark all exercises and assignments they give to the students.
- Facilities and equipment needed for effective teaching and learning of computer science are not provided.
- Student teachers ratio for the teaching of computer science in the school is not appropriate.
- Computers/printers are not provided in the secondary schools.
- Good textbooks in computer science are not provided in the secondary schools.
- Teachers are not encouraged to attend workshops and seminar by their principals because of financial involvements.
- Teachers are not promoted at when due.
- In-service training for computer science teachers are not provided.
- Scholarships are not awarded to distinguished teachers to further their studies.
- The governments do not fund the teaching of computer science in the schools.
- Computer laboratories are not built by the government in these schools.
- Teachers of computer science have other private business apart from teaching job.
Factors Affecting The Performance Of Computer Science Students In Junior Secondary School (A Case Study Of Enugu North LGA)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Factors Affecting The Performance Of Computer Science Students In Junior Secondary School (A Case Study Of Enugu North LGA)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Factors Affecting The Performance Of Computer Science Students In Junior Secondary School (A Case Study Of Enugu North LGA)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Factors Affecting The Performance Of Computer Science Students In Junior Secondary School (A Case Study Of Enugu North LGA)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.