Factors That Affect The Effective Performance Of Secretaries In Imo State Civil Service (A Case Study Of Ministries Of Commerce And Industry And, Education)
This research work was carried out to find out factors that affects the effective performance of secretaries in Imo State.
The population of this study was 50 secretaries employed in the Imo State Civil service. 30 secretaries were sampled from the different categories. Questionnaires was administered to the respondents and returned.
The data collected were analyzed using a 4 points likert scale and mean score. 5 research questions were used to guide the study.
The researcher found out those factors that affects the effective performance of secretaries is the major factors that stabilize organizational goals. Recommendations were made based on the findings, which would help secretaries to perform very well in the organizations.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Approval page
- Table of contents
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Purpose of the study
- 1.4 Significance of the study
- 1.5 Research question
- 1.6 Delimitations
2.0 Review of Related Literature
- 2.1 Factors that affect the performance of secretaries
- 2.2 Adequate incentives available to the secretaries
- 2.3 Modern office equipment available for effective training of the secretaries
- 2.4 The Remuneration for the Secretaries
- 2.5 The organizational Value of the Secretaries
- 2.6 The Physical and Socio-Political Environment of the place
- 2.7 Summary of Related Literature Review
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Design of the study
- 3.2 Area of the study
- 3.3 Population of the study
- 3.4 Sample and sampling techniques
- 3.5 Instrument for data collection
- 3.6 Method of data collection
- 3.7 Method of data analysis
4.0 Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Data Analysis
- 4.2 Discussion of Findings
5.0 Summary of findings, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary findings
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
- 5.4 Suggestion for further study
1.1 Background of the Study
Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education is indeed among the best ministries in Imo state Civil Service that propels the development of Imo state.
Vision without action remains merely a dream and it is a vision with action that brings hope and succor to the society, it is the role of management to transform vision into reality. In Imo State Civil service is the management arm of government, and if the civil service performs below the standard expected of them, all the dream and vision will be in vein.
According to Olusanya (1997:3) even the secretary who is looked upon as the pivot of any organization cannot perform effectively in the government ministry.
To achieve growth in the organizational setup, the management required people who are creative, so as to assist the various organizational heads in turning their priorities into concrete realities. This can only be done if people who are involved in the skill of co-ordinating the development of people, information resources and technology.
People who play the role of linking their bosses and the outsiders, by dealing with businesses that are transacted over telephone, manage and co-ordinate the executives appointments and prepare, preserve and transmits all types of communication and are ready to keep accurate and up to date records and information are employed. By virtue of his training, the secretaries are expected to posses mastery of the office skills (Ohakwe 2005).
This according to the National Secretary Association is that what makes an efficient secretary. In our present day office, the secretarial staff performs an important role in the realization of organizational goals and objectives. The occupies a leading role position in the operating and functioning of the organization.
The secretary in any organization is of great importance as they embraces and cut across every sphere in life of the organization. They must ensure efficient use of resources and at the same time, the long time effectiveness in a changing environment, including being able to ensure flexibility and adaptability necessary for changes to be achieved.
In this era of information and communication technology, the secretary should be compliant and keep at pace with all the changes around then, since change is a constant thing. Okoye (2000) stated that secretaries are important members of the management team in business, industries, government, education, communication media and other areas of human endeavours.
This implies that secretaries duties are mult-dimensional and they occupies a strategic and challenging positions in the organization. Their ability to perform creditably or not, depends on a long way to make the business of the organizations.
Despite the roles and importance of the secretarial staff in an organization, there are also some factors which are militating against the performance of secretaries in an organization, particularly of secretaries in an organization, particularly, the Ministries of Commerce and Industry and, Ministries of Education .
These factors make it difficult for the secretary staff to meet up the demands by the organization. Secretarial profession is being erroneously relegated to the background, probably due to varied opinions attached to it by some un-informed people.
There is therefore the need to systematically investigate dominant problems posing threat to effective performance of secretaries in Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education . Against this background, the question is, what factors are responsibly for ineffective performance of secretaries in the Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education
1.2 Statement of the Problem
In every organization, the secretary’s looked upon as the administrative live wire, the hob and the image maker. According to Elendu (1990:2). This because of the important role they played in the realization of the organization goals and objectives. Over the years, however, most secretaries have failed to measure up with the demand by organizations as they are seen to be inefficient and ineffective in the performance of the roles expected of them.
Due to the innovations of computers of various designs with different operating systems. Most secretaries have also failed in their job performance, since they are not acquired knowledge in various fields of study and they still find it difficult to adapt to changes.
The researcher is therefore, spurred into carrying out this study to know what could affect the effective performance of the secretaries in the selected ministries in Owerri, Imo State capital, in order to determine whether this ugly trend contributed to the quality of their training, socio-political and organizational environment.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of the study is to discover those factors associated with the performance of the secretaries in the Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education
Specifically, the study attempted to:
- Identify the factors that affect the performance of secretaries
- Determine the type of equipment and level of their adequacy for the effective performance of secretaries.
- Determine the difficulties encountered by secretaries in the operation of the equipments.
- Determine the place of secretaries in terms of their physical and social-political environment.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The main objectives of this study is to determine the factors that affect the performance of secretaries in the Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education especially in Nigeria and also make suggestions to solutions that will ensure that these factors doesn’t affect the performance of secretaries negatively, but improve the positive performance of the secretaries.
This research will be beneficial to the students of school of business and management technology in Federal Polytechnic, Nekede towards improving their performance, such that, they will not be affected in the practice of their professions. The study will also enable institutions of higher learning to engage in the training of future secretaries and administrators to enrich their course in the training of effective performance.
This study will help in identifying the factors that affect the performance of secretaries both positively and negatively in the organization, especially secretaries in Imo State Civil Service. It will also be a source of information that researcher will rely on in future. However, this research will provide additional information that researchers need, that will extends the frontier of knowledge in secretaries profession as well as education. It is expected tat if the findings from the research is applied, it will go a long way to affect the performance of secretaries positively.
Therefore, it is importance to give attention to this problem. The following are expected from the research.
- It will provide institution, professional bodies and the civil service information on the positive and negative effect of the subject matter.
- It will widen the researcher, knowledge on how to handle some of the factors affecting the performance of secretaries.
- It will exposes the leaner’s and management in terms of identifying the training needs of secretaries in the area of effective performance.
- It will also exposes the secretaries to the need for self improvement, so that they can fit in this era of information and communication technology.
1.5 Research Question
This study seeks to answerer the following questions.
- What factors affects performance of secretaries in Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education?
- How does it expose the secretaries to need for self improvement in Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education ?
- What training needs of secretaries in the area of effective performance?
- What problems do secretaries encounter in handling the machines or equipments in Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education ?
- What physical and social environments affect the positions of secretaries in Ministries of Commerce and Industry and , Ministries of Education
The research work will lay emphasis on factors that affects the effective performance of secretaries, in Imo State Civil Service. It will also identify the areas of this effective and determine the extent to which these factors are effective.
Summary Of Findings, Conclusions And Recommendations
This chapter presents the summary, conclusion and recommendation of the finding. It also contained the recommendation for further research.
5.1 Summary of Findings
Based on the research questions the following findings emerged from the study.
- It was found on the research question 1, that proper incentives boost workers moral, especially the secretaries. It makes for work efficiency.
- It was found on research question 2 that the introduction of modern equipment for training of the value to the secretaries.
- It was also found that good remuneration for the secretaries serves as a motivational tool and spans them to better performance in their offices.
- It was also found that, the acceptability of the secretaries as a valued member of the organization affects her work.
- The secretaries was accepted as a valuable members of the organization and was consulted when making decisions that affect their work, therefore, low productivity could not be attributed to lack of consultation.
Based on the finding of the study, the following conclusions are draw.
- Whatever secretaries are provided with incentive they put in more effort into the work and productivity becomes high.
- Where the secretaries are provided with adequate modern office equipment and also trained, there is always a smooth flow of the work and productivity is enhanced.
- A good remuneration motivates the secretaries to put more efforts, while they put less effort where remuneration is poor.
- In every situation where the secretaries are acknowledged as a valuable member of the production team, ranking equally with the other professions, secretarial productivities are bound to be high
- A good and conclusive physical and socio-political environment of the work place helps the secretaries to function effectively.
- Appropriate safety and cautions devices should always be provided to the secretaries and which will always help them not to find it difficult in handling the office equipments and machines.
Based on the findings of the study, the following recommendations are proffered.
- Managers administrators and leaders of the organization, especially in Imo State Civil Service should continue to ensure that secretaries are provided with adequate incentives, so as to energies them into increased productivity.
- Management and employers of secretaries should provide adequate modern facilities and properly train the secretaries to handle the facilities, which will enhance the secretaries productivity.
- Employers and managers should ensure also that remuneration for the secretaries should be enough to motivate and spur the secretaries into performing better than they ordinarily would have done.
- Employers of secretaries should continue to accord them high esteem and consult them when making decisions that affect their work in order to maintain high standard of productivity.
- Employers and managers should also ensure that the physical and socio-political environment of the, enable secretaries to carry out their duties effectively.
- Appropriate safety and caution devices should be provided to the secretaries to enable them handle the modern office equipments and machine without any or much difficult.
5.4 Suggestion for further Study
This study could be replicated in other ministries. It could also be conducted in the private establishments or business organization in the state. This study could be extended to other forms and cities.
How To Get The Complete Material For Factors That Affect The Effective Performance Of Secretaries In Imo State Civil Service (A Case Study Of Ministries Of Commerce And Industry And, Education)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Factors That Affect The Effective Performance Of Secretaries In Imo State Civil Service (A Case Study Of Ministries Of Commerce And Industry And, Education)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply