An Evaluation Of Management Performance In Organizations
1.1 General Background Of The Study
In the olden days, people hunted and farmed for food, made cloths and built shelter. Some other do certain things better than others. For instance, some people were better at making cloths while others were better at farming. As a result, most people began to do the type of work they did best. Then they traded food, cloths and other things they produced with their neighbours. This was the era of barter trade. But with time people began to travel far and wide to find what they want and exchange it for what they have. Business exists all over the world but not exactly the same way in every country. In places where people are local farmers, business is a simple process but where others industries exist, business activities are complicated.
Coordination and leadership are intimately bound as each affects the other. One cannot achieve coordination without effective leadership. Together they ensure that all efforts are channeled effectively towards the right goal. Some authorities such as Money and Reilly regard it as the first principle of organization while Koonzt and his Associates prefer to call it the essence of Management and regard each of the Managerial functions as an exercise in coordination. No matter how a firm originated, its functions must be effectively coordinated.
People cannot be compelled to cooperate. As a result, the right environment for the exchange of information is required. There are many conflicts, which can arise between Management and the workers, and they must be smoothed out and if to use Fayol’s phrase, enspirit de corps can be attained, problems can be more easily overcome.
They evaluated the contributional capabilities and shortcomings of subordinates with a view to know their performance. The result received will be the bases of promotion, recommendation for promotions or dismissal as well. There is no other to this if not through hid out, displayed positive and negative attributes. It is no gain saying that the performance appraisal is invaluable planning, coordination, policy formation, decision-making and controls. The employees on the other hand engage in co-workers supervision and managers so they are totally ignorant of the rating of these people.
Since formal performance of the Management is used for most appointments. And employees of human resources being the most important asset of the organization manager and supervisors must exercise utmost care in doing this. This is because when a good staff finds out that he is poorly assessed; it will for sure affect his morals and attitude to work. This will result to lowered productivity.
Robert Stolz, a management consultant believes and rightly say that with a right kind of evaluation a real industrial need is fulfilled and staff are carried out in organization for administrating, informative and motivational purposes. Formalized evaluation permits an orderly and rational way of determining promotion, salary increases, transfers training needs, potentials retrenchment, reassignment, termination of appointment etc. It is against this background that the researcher wants to delve into the evaluation of the effect of Management Performance in an organization; ANAMCO, ENUGU DISTRICT.
1.2 Problems Associated With The Study
For an organization to achieve its goals and objectives, the effect of Management is sine qua non. Favouritism, nepotism and low manpower utilization prevails the rank and file of Government Parastatals thus cultivating inefficiency.
One major factor is under development, Nigeria arises from the culpable distortions in our manpower utilization. In organizations, there are many square pegs in round holes most times; leadership is generally inefficient because our manpower selection is subjective.
Public officers are chosen in political basis, appointment, social connection, sycophancy and even blood relation. Despite the abundance of competent manpower, mediocrity has taken over. More so, we observed escalating frustration, rehabilitating internal policies and low productivity everywhere.
This results to why over 75% of the civil servants idle away time at offices if ever they come. They perceive their place of work as a place to collect monthly salaries and allowances without conscientiously.
This study wants to know whether the management and the supervisory staff are living up to their obligation.
1.3 Objective Of The Study:
The aim of this research is:
- To find out how the effects of Management Performance in an organization could be assessed especially in Enugu district.
- To equally know whether the present system of evaluation has any relationship with over- all performance, practices, viability, decisions, productivity and development as well as achievements of corporate goals.
- Ascertaining the problems militating against management and supervisors in this task.
- To find out whether the management is utilizing (MBO) effectively and efficiently.
- To analyze the effects of ineffective formal appraisal to the activities of ANAMMCO ENUGU DISTRICT.
1.4 The Significance Of The Study:
This study is very significant and relevant in many respects. It would provide answers to management performance in organizations.
Staff and management of performance appraisal are very important to many organizations that want to remain a going concern. It will make mangers and supervisors to be alive and up and doing in their duties of evaluation and supervision. The employees stand to gain through better corporate performance.
Over the years, nations of what should be the focal point of evaluation modalities, for dong so, and how to reasonably ascertain performance or otherwise have been developed by various authors. Those in favour of evaluation performance among with wrath opined that:
- Assessment of potentials never equals that of performance in objectivity and precision.
- Performance evaluation is a legitimate starting point even if it does not take the evaluator the whole distance.
- An individual should expect promotion to a high position only if he performs within the current job.
However, the proponents of potentials assessment are of the opinion that:
- Facts about performance can easily be detached from the pay role and other records.
- Good performance in job is not necessarily a good signal of suitability for high responsibility.
- A person with considerable potentials might put up only an average performance in a job because he is totally bored with it.
In their writing “Improving total productivity” Paul Mail advocated eight-evaluation method, which he broke down into four categories viz:
- Evaluation according to work activity
- Evaluation based on behaviour and personality
- Evaluation that focuses on comparisons
- Evaluation focused on result
1.5 Research Questions
Why is management performance assessed?
- How does management assessment affect organizations?
- Can management performance evaluation be avoided and what will be its resultant effect.
- Can it reduce production efficiency?
- What are its benefits to an organization?
1.6 Limitation Of Study / Scope:
The subject matter of this study is one, which should have made the study a national one. The topic is one, which solves problems of management performance in organization.
However, the study is centered on the evaluation of management performance in an organization(s). ANAMCO ENUGU perspective and the researcher is compelled to limit the study to ANAMCO ENUGU DISTRICT. The limitations of the study are due to problems of transportation, distance, un-cooperative attitudes of workers.
1.7 Definition Of Terms:
The definition of the aforementioned will be done in two categories – conceptual and operational definitions.
- Conceptual: To weight something, to assess.
- Operational: Assess, Appraise, to find or state the number or amount of
- Conceptual: Effect: The impact of something.
- Operational: Result or consequence of an action. Efficacy. Impression produced on a spectator, hearer.
- Conceptual: The act, art or manner of managing controlling, or conducting something, business or individuals.
- Operational: This refers to the method of planning, organizing, co-ordinating, directing human and material resources towards achieving a set objective.
- Conceptual: Performance: The action of someone. How someone acted.
- Operational: Act, process or manner of performing or functioning.
- Conceptual: This is the structure that enables people to work together in order to achieve a common goal.
An Evaluation Of Management Performance In Organizations
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- An Evaluation Of Management Performance In Organizations
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “An Evaluation Of Management Performance In Organizations” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “An Evaluation Of Management Performance In Organizations” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.