Enhancing The Performance Of Co-Operative Societies Through The Application Of Co-Operative Principe And Legislation
The researcher topic captioned “enhancing the performance of co – operative societies through the application of co – operative principle and legislation (A case study of co – operative societies in orhonmwm local government area of Edo – state) was studied by the researcher.
In pursuance of this project, the researcher divided the study into five chapters.
Cheaper one deals with the introduction, background of the study, objective of this study, research question, significance of the study, statement of the problem scope and limitation of the study, hypotheses and definition the study, hypothesis and definition of terms.
Some of the objective includes:
- To determine the extent co operative principle and legislature have been applied in the cooperative societies in the L.G.A
- To identify the existing co operative principle and legislations applicable to the societies in the orhionmwm local government area e.t.c
Chapter two deals with the review of past related literature
Chapter three shows the research design and methodology sources of data which include primary and secondary sources.
Primary source are oral interview, observation and questionnaire while secondary source involves the use of past research, text book and co operative record etc. population / area of the study, sample size, sampling method and method of data analysis etc. were also discussed in chapter three.
Chapter four deals with data presentation, analysis and interpretation, data collected were presented in tabular form while percentage was used for the analysis
Chapter five deal with finding, recommendation and conclusion of the research. The major finds of this research work are as follows:
- Majority of the societies are not actually applying, co operative principle and legislation but only have some of them written in their bye – laws etc.
- The researcher fund that the co operative officers are not applying cooperative principle and legislation well
- The researcher finds that the cooperative officers, secretaries are to apply cooperative principle and legislation due to lack of education based on the finding the researcher made the following recommendation.
- Government should ensure that there is adequate cooperative education to the existing member of co operative whereby the cooperative principle and legislation will be properly explained to them.
- The cooperative leaders should also be serious with their duties, the researcher recommended that cooperative member should try and have cooperative spirit within than.
The researcher concluded that the cooperative cannot stand nor function with applying cooperative principles and legislation in the practice of cooperative societies.
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Approval page
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objective for the study
- 1.4 Hypotheses for the study
- 1.5 Significance of the study
- 1.6 Scope and limitation of the study
- 1.7 Definition of terms and concepts
- Review of related literature
- 2.1 Elements of co operative enterprises
- 2.2 Cooperative as an enterprise
- 2.3 The nature of cooperative society
- 2.4 Definition of cooperative
- 2.5 Classification of cooperative
- 2.6 Cooperative principles
- 2.7 Cooperative legislation
- Research design and methodology
- 3.1 Sources of data collected
- 3.2 Population / area of the study
- 3.3 Sample size
- 3.4 Sampling method
- 3.5 Method of data analysis
- 3.6 Treatment of data
- Data presentation and analysis
- 4.1 Description of co operative in orhionmwon local government area
- Summary, recommendation and conclusion
- 5.1 Research findings
- 5.2 Recommendation
- 5.3 Conclusion
1.1 Background Of The Study
Co – operation means coming together of two or more persons under mutual arrangement to solve a particular problem as related to their interest, be it economical, cultural or political.
However, cooperative derive its concept from cooperative thereby making wave for the creation of co operative societies in 1844.
A cooperative societies is a voluntary association of person united together, under mutual understanding to prefect their economical, cultural and political interest and aspiration through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise.
A cooperative society according to Amahalu (2004:22) is an autonomous association of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs and aspiration through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise.
A co – operative fundamentally is managed and controlled by co operative principles as prescribed by the international co operative alliance (ICA).
The origin of the present co operative principles of the ICA is from the famous cooperative principle of the equitable pioneers, cooperative in 1921 when the federal cooperative development stated unofficially in 1921 when the federal cooperative department in Lagos organized small scale organization cooperative of cocoa farmers in Western Nigeria for the purpose of improving cocoa marketing.
In 1975, cooperative n Nigeria was regionalized and each of the three regions became responsiblites in their regions.
Today each of the thirty six state shas their own separate cooperative department. Irrespective of the interest of the various state government in cooperative they have not recorded significance progress in cooperative development.
This could be as a result of lack of performance on the application of cooperative principle and legislations.
As soon a cooperative principles and legislation get maximum admission into the existing cooperative in Nigeria them people will have interest in joining cooperative a good example of enhancing the performance of co operative societies through the application of cooperative principles and legislation can go in the development of cooperative is looking at the famous history of the ridicule equitable pioneers of cooperative that launched the first successful cooperative in 1844.
It is these same principles which were reformed by the international cooperative alliance (ICA) that this study is emphasizing on.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
The major problem facing co operative societies in Nigeria especially in Edo – state is dire to poor application of co operative principles and legislation in the management of cooperative societies.
A lot of cooperative member do not even have the knowledge od what cooperative principle and legislation are all about. Hence the statement of problem in this research topic is “mismanagement” which comes out of the negligence of the impact of the enhancing the performance of co operative societies through the application of co operative principles and legislation in the cooperative sociality.
This has led to a lot of some serious problem like:
- Low performance in the productive of most co operative
- Liquidation of many co operative
- Conflicts among co operative members and even between the co operative members and their supervisors.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The main objective of this research is to investigate and know whether co operative societies in Edo state especially in or hinomwon local government area are enhancing their performance through the application of co operative principle and legislation in the management of their cooperative societies.
The specific objective includes
- Examine the effect of applying cooperative principle and legislation in the cooperative society
- To examine the extent co operative principle and legislation have been applied in the co operative societies in the or hionmwon L.G.A
- To determine the relationship between co operative principles and legislation and the performance of co operative societies
- To identify the existing co operative principle and legislation applicable to the societies in the or Hionmwon local government area.
- Create knowledge about co operative development in the country
- Make suggestion on how to improve co operative development strategies.
1.4 Hypothesis For This Study
For the purpose of this research, the following hypothesis were formlated.
Non application of co operative principles and legislation brings conflict between the co operative members, government and co operative supervisors
Non application of co operative principles and legislation brings organizational conflict among the members.
1.5 Significance Of The Study
The study is considered very importance because it is very current and relevant for co operative development in Nigeria.
It will go a long, way to help those newly created association (co operative) since they would be equipped with guide to run the affairs of their societies. It is from the perspective that one can understand the importance of this study cannot be over stressed.
This study is very useful for the government and the co operative members in handling co operative problems.
It will also serve as a reliable source of references to other researchers within related field of study
- Does non application of co operative principles and legislation brings conflict between the co operative members, government and co operative supervisors?
- Does non application of co operative principle and legislation brings organizational conflict among the members?
- Does application of co operative principles and legislation enhance the performances of co operative societies in orhionmwon local government area of Edo – state?
1.6 Scope And Limitation Of The Study
The scope of this study is limited to co operative societies in Edo state, although that the researcher covered only the registered co operative societies in orhionmwon within Edo – state.
Time and money constraints were the major factors that contributed negatively to the scope and limitation of this study
1.7 Definition Of Term And Concepts
For more understanding of every part of this project, some of the words used are defined as bellow.
Settlement of dispute by the decision of the co operative chose person as the judge
Every member of a co operative having equal right vote with one another
This is the aim at which a person si motivated to do or participate in something i.e. the reason for joining a co operative
This is a mutual understanding that exist between two or more people towards a particular interest
Co operative society
This is a voluntary association of person united together under mutual understanding to solve their economic social political and cultural needs through a jointly owned and democratic control venture.
Enhancing The Performance Of Co-Operative Societies Through The Application Of Co-Operative Principe And Legislation
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Enhancing The Performance Of Co-Operative Societies Through The Application Of Co-Operative Principe And Legislation
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Enhancing The Performance Of Co-Operative Societies Through The Application Of Co-Operative Principe And Legislation” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Enhancing The Performance Of Co-Operative Societies Through The Application Of Co-Operative Principe And Legislation” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.
How to defend your research work
This is a general guide on how to defend your research work:
1. Prepare For Questions:
If you are preparing for questions that may be asked during your defense, then your answers will flow smoothly and effectively. This will prove your knowledge on the subject e.g “Enhancing The Performance Of Co-Operative Societies Through The Application Of Co-Operative Principe And Legislation“, and strengthening your argument. Ask friends and family, read your work for them to listen to your presentation, and write down questions. You may be lucky the panel will ask you those you have already prepared on.
2. Strong Summary:
Summarizing your chapters will help keep your audience focused because it is easy for a mind to drift, so providing summaries will ensure your panel will follow along, even if they lose focus for a brief moment. Visual aides, such as graphs and power-point presentations can be very helpful. If you are going to use these, make sure you will practice your presentation with them.
3. Be Confident in Your Research Work:
Not knowing your topic “Enhancing The Performance Of Co-Operative Societies Through The Application Of Co-Operative Principe And Legislation” inside out will cause you to struggle and ultimately fail with your defense. You need to know the subject from every angle to ensure you are fully prepared for any question that may come your way.
Reinforce your findings to conclude your defense. The finale of your presentation should focus on proving the work that has been done. You may need to recap on what has changed and remained unchanged, if is necessary.
5 . Listen:
Before you get defensive or recite a particular answer, make sure you truly understand the question being asked. Being a good listener is an important quality, because providing an inaccurate or off-topic answer will also weaken the validity of your paper.