Effects Of Strategic Planning On Organizational Goal Attainment (A Study Of Zenith Bank Plc)
The study examined the effects of strategic planning on organizational goals attainment. The effectiveness of strategic planning can be measured in terms of the extent of which is influences organizational goal, which affects its performance and long run survival rate.
The main objective of this study is to examine the effect of strategic planning in achieving organizational goals and to study the relationship between organization performance and goal of Zenith Bank Plc used as a study.
Based on the above objectives, relevant literatures were thoroughly reviewed and two hypotheses were formulated and tested in this study. A survey technique was used with the administration of questionnaire to 100 respondents (of which 89 was retrieved) comprising Zenith Bank departments in Head office, regression analysis method was used to analyses the data.
The finding revealed that strategic planning helps organization members to understand what is unique about the organization, increased profit and turnover, customers patronage, market leadership and strong brand identity. Strategic planning set good corporate mission and objective.
The study recommended that strategic planning should be well planned, implemented, and communicated to all staff. Strategic planning should ensure corporate governance and quality personnel to ensure the attainment of the organization mission and objective.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title Page i
Table of Contents vi
CHAPTER ONE: INTRODUCTION
1.0 Background of the Study 1
1.1 Statement of Problem 3
1.2 Objective of the Study 4
1.3 Significance of the Study 4
1.4. Research Questions 5
1.5 Research Hypotheses 5
1.6 Scope of the Study 5
1.7 Definitions f Terms 5
CHAPTER TWO: LITERATURE REVIEW
2.0 Introduction 7
2.1 Historical Background of Zenith International Bank Limited. 8
2.2 The Overview of Strategic Planning 10
2.3 Purpose of Strategic Planning 16
2.4 The Reasons Why Strategic Plan Fails 17
2.5 Theoretical Framework 18
2.6 Strategic Planning Process 21
2.7 Concepts in Strategic Planning and Organizational
Goals Attainment 31
2.7.1 Organizational Performance. 31
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3.0 Introduction 34
3.1 Restatement of Research Question 34
3.2 Restatement of Research Hypothesis 34
3.3. Research Design 35
3.4 Population of Study 35
3.5. Sampling Design and Procedure 35
3.6 Data Collection Instrument 36
3.7 Validity and Reliability 36
3.8 Procedure for Data Analysis 37
CHAPTER FOUR: DATA ANALYSIS, PRESENTATION AND INTERPRETATION
4.0 Introduction 38
4.1 Respondents’ Characteristics and Classification 38
4.2 Test of Research Hypotheses 49
4.3 Discussion of Findings 53
CHAPTER FIVE: SUMMARY, CONCLUSION, AND RECOMMENDATIONS
5.0 Introduction 54
5.1 Summary of Findings 54
5.2 Conclusion 55
5.3 Recommendations 56
1.1 Background Of The Study
Companies now operate in vastly competitive and non linear environment, the value of business lies increasingly in its ability to capture information and generate new idea. According to (Kotler 2009), “an idea that is no dangerous is hardly worth calling an idea”. The same can be said of strategic plan. A great plan provokes. It takes chances. This eventually attracts customers and the market to ones brand. Therefore there is a need for effective strategy planning in an organization. In today’s competitive environment, every company has a plan, but firstly, we need to understand the concept of strategic planning.
Strategy is an overall approach and plan so strategy planning is an overall planning that facilitates the good management of a process. Strategy planning takes you outsides the day-to-day activities of your organization or project. It provides you with the big picture of what you are doing and where you are going.
Strategy gives you clarity about what you actually want to achieve and how to go achieving it, rather than a plan of action for day-to day operations.
Strategic planning consists of a set of underlying processes that are intended to create or manipulate a situation to create a more favorable outcome for a company. In business, strategic planning provides overall direction for specific unit such as financial focuses, projects, human resources and marketing.
Strategic planning can be defined as a broad managerial process of developing a vision, mission statement, goals and objectives with which to serve an influential guide to employees using the top bottom management approach (Warmer 2000).
Berry (2001) strategic planning is a tool for finding the best future for your organization and the best path to reach that destination.
Strategic planning can be defined as a process of using systematic criteria and rigorous investigation to formulate, implement and control strategy and formally document organizational expectations.
Strategic planning is an off-short of strategic management and is nowadays referred to as corporate planning.
Strategy management refers to the formulation and implementation of plans and the carrying out of activities. In short, it implies a set of activities relation to the formulation and implementation of strategies to achieve organizational objective.
According to Owolabi (2001), “Strategic management is the management process by which policies are formulated and strategies are selected to achieve the goals and objective of an organization”.
Strategy management is a disciplined approach utilizing the principal and process of management to identify the objective or mission of any business.
Strategic management process as the way in which strategists determine objective and make strategic decision. Strategic management’s main focus is the achievement of organizational goals taking into consideration the internal and external environment factors.
Planning is the process of establishing goals and objective and courses of action to attain them. Thy effective successful strategy is departed in structure, thus to effective economic performance the organization needs to alter it structure.
1.2 Statement Of Problem
Many organizations spend many of their time realizing and reacting to unexpected changes and problem instead of anticipating and preparing for them.
Research have made it clear that there is an increased internal and external uncertainty due to emerging opportunities and threats, lack of awareness of needs and of it facilities related issues and environment and lack of direction. This research study is to assess the effect of strategic planning or organizational performance, which at long run enhances organizational goal attainment.
Strategic planning is not only to bank but all other organizations for performance and goal from this scenario several issues rises in respect of strategic planning among which are stated below:
- How do we identify factors which are core guide to strategic planning?
- What is the effect of strategic planning in achieving organization goal?
- What are the factors that led to insufficient attention given to strategic planning in an organization?
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The objective of the study is to examine the effect of strategic planning in achieving organization goal attainment.
The objective is as follow:
- To examine the effect of strategic planning in achieving organizational goals.
- To examine the relationship between organization performance and goals.
- To see how strategic planning influence performance of the business organization.
- To examine the potency of strategic planning in the achievement corporate goals and objective.
1.3 Significance Of The Study
The importance of strategic planning towards achieving organization goal cannot be over emphasized and it reflects the justification of this study.
The finding and conclusion of the research will serve as basis for organization decision on strategic planning. This may also be significant for further research work in strategic planning in achieving organization goals.
1.4. Research Questions
- Does strategic planning enhanced the organization performance?
- Are the management or workers ready to achieve the organization goal?
- Is strategic planning a tool for organization efficiency and effectiveness?
1.5 Research Hypotheses
- Ho: Strategic planning does not enhance better organizational performance and goal.
H1: Strategic planning enhances better organizational performance and goal.
- Ho: Strategic planning is not a tool that enhance efficiency and effectiveness in an organization
H1: Strategic planning is a tool that enhance efficiency and effectiveness in an organization
1.6 Scope Of The Study
The scope of the study is to fill the gap by developing and demonstrating the use of an evaluation instrument measuring the effect of strategic planning on organizational effectiveness and culture.
1.7 Definitions Of Terms
Management in all business and human organization activity is the act of getting people together to accomplish desired goals and objectives. Management comprises of planning, staffing, leading or directing and controlling an organization for the purpose of accomplishing a goal.
An organization is a social arrangement which pursues collective goals, controls its own performance. Organization is understood as planned, coordinated and purposeful action of human beings to construct or compile tangible or intangible product.
Planning in organization and public policy is both organization process of creating and maintaining a plan and the psychological process of thinking about the activities required to create a desired goal on some scale. It combines forecasting of developments with the preparation of scenarios of how to react to them.
Performance management includes activities to ensure that goals are consistently being met in an effective and efficient manner. Performance management can focus on performance of organization, a department process to build a product or service, employees etc.
Strategy is a plan of action designed to achieve a particular goal. The word ‘Strategy’ has military connotation because it derive from the Greek word for general. Strategy is district from tactics. In military terms, tactics is concerned with the conduct of an engagement are linked.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
This chapter provides the summary of the entire research work of the effect of strategic planning on organizational goal attainment, logical conclusion of findings and lasting recommendations.
5.1 Summary of Findings
The summary of this study as revealed are as follow:
- Strategic planning is constantly being engaged at Zenith Bank International Plc.and is being carried out majorly by the senior management periodically.
- The setting of good corporate mission and objective are important in the strategic planning process.
- The overall benefit of strategic planning on zenith bank internationally is increased profit and turnover, customer patronage, market leadership and strong brand identity.
- The performance of zenith bank international plc.is usually determined by the impact of the company’s strategic planning system.
- Strategic planning contributes to the organization ability to think about its future and to plan for it.
- Strategic planning also help organizational member to understand what is unique about the organization compared to other justice related organizations.
- Strategic planning has a strong indication on the profitability of the organization.
Strategic is a useful concept even in all its variation. Strategic planning is a useful tool of help in managing the enterprise, especially if the strategy and strategic plans can be successfully deployed throughout the organization. Senior management should focus on the strategic issues, on the important issues facing the business as a whole, including where it is headed and what it will or should become.
Organization would be more successful in attaining their goals, if they winnowed their list of goals. Managers could then focus their efforts on achieving their short list of goals.
Organization must interact with their environment in their pursuit of goals, and forces in their environment.
Formulating strategic plan is a means by which an organization actually thinks about its future, design and also formulates plan to ensure its survival and growth. Strategic plan has enabled the stakeholders within the organization to understand the organizational plan and remain focused to the achievement of those plans.
Conclusively, strategic planning has been found to be a very good tool of gaining competitive advantages, achieving long term goals and objective of the organization and to improve performance of organization at all spheres of the organizations.
Based on the backdrop from the study that no matter how good a strategic plan can be, there are various challenges that could hinder the implementation of such plan.
Therefore, the following recommendations are made:
- Stronger and more competent corporate governance should be established in banks as well as employment of quality personnel to ensure the attainment of the organization corporate mission and objectives.
- There is a need for financial institution to introduce more comprehensive strategic planning procedure to improve effectiveness.
- In a dynamic and competitive operating environment, there is the need for zenith bank international plc.Toembrace and inculcate longer term approaches to their activities in order to ensure effectiveness and efficiency in the use of resource.
- The senior management responsible for strategic planning should ensure that these plans are implemented and well communicated to all staff.
- Zenith bank international plc. Should make the company’s planning system more responsive by developing what can be referred to as a “corporate antennae”. This will be a kind of strategic planning intelligence system network SPISN which would furnish the planning system with ‘’hard fact ’’ for planning.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Effects Of Strategic Planning On Organizational Goal Attainment (A Study Of Zenith Bank Plc)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply