The Effects Of Power Outages On The Performance Of Media Houses (A Case Study Of Heartland Fm Owerri)
👁🗨Download up-to-date Post UTME past questions here
📩Get complete project / seminar material for any topic
This project, the effect of power outages on the performance of the media houses. The need for the study has arisen from the recognition of the effect of power off which really affect the activities of the media house. The research study is divided into five (5) sections. Chapter one has the introduction, which introduces the subject matter. It also contains the background of the study where the researcher unveiled those effects of power outages on the day-to-day business of the media house.
This is followed by the statement of the problems were the research enumerated the problem there media house observes that impale her to embark on the research work. It is also has the objectives of the study, research questions, significance and scope of the study. Chapter two contains all related literatures of different authors who have written on the subject matter. Chapter three emphases on the research methodology. In chapter four, the presentation, analysis and interpretation of data was formulated. Chapter five has the summary of findings, recommendations and conclusion.
Table Of Contents
Table of contents
1.1 Background of the study
1.2 Statement of the problem
1.3 Objectives of the study
1.4 Research questions/ hypotheses
1.5 Significance of the study
1.6 Limitations of the study
1.7 Scope of the study
1.8 Operational definition of terms
Chapter Two:Literature Review
2.1 The concepts of power outage
2.2 Causes of power outages
2.3 Effect of power outages on the media equipment
2.4 How to prevent broadcasting equipment from power Outages
2.5 Protecting, the power system from outages
2.6 Power outage inevitability and electric sustainability
2.7 Restoring power after a wide area outage
2.8 Theoretical framework
Chapter Three:Research Methodology
3.1 Research design
3.2 Population of study
3.3 Sample size
3.4 Sampling procedures
3.5 Sources of data
3.6 Instrument for data collection
3.7 Validity and instrument
3.8 Administrative of the instrument
3.9 Method of data analysis
Chapter Four:Data Presentation And Analysis
4.1 presentation and analysis of data
4.2 Data analysis
4.3 Discussion of findings
Chapter Five:Summary Of Findings, Conclusion And Recommendations
5.1 Summary of findings
1.1 Background Of The Study
Electric power is the rate at which electric energy is transferred by an electric circuit. The SI unit of power is the watt, one joule per second. Power is usually produced by electric generators, but can also be supplied by sources such as electric batteries. It is generally supplied to businesses and homes by the electric power industry through an electric power grid. Electric power is usually sold by the kilowatt hour (3.6mt) which is the product of power in kilowatts multiplied by running time in hours. Electric utilities measures power using an electricity meter, which keeps a running total of the electric energy delivered to a customer.
Power has been described as the life wire of a robust electronic broadcasting production in a part of the world. Therefore, constant electric power supply with high speed frequency access would likely facilitate the effective provision of media content.
In Nigeria, however, power outages affect the provision of broadcasting production/ services (AKINWALE, 2010). The power holding company of Nigeria. PLC (PHCN) is vested with the responsibility of electricity supply in Nigeria however; the failure of PHCN to provide adequate and reliable electricity to consumers including Heartland FM Owerri, the federal broadcasting station still generates a confidence crisis in the country. Ifedi (2005) observed that public confidence in PHCN’S ability to supply uninterrupted and stable electric power is so low that consumers coined a term for the organization’s former acronym, NEPA (Never Expect power always) for national Electric power Authority.
Problem confronting PHCN has been linked to low investment in power generation over the years. All the plants are very old. Thirty six percent of them are over twenty years old, and no new plant has been installed in the advent of civilian administration in 1999 (Agbo2007; Idris 2013). With this, is pertinent to note that the power supply situation in the country has not improved in the last ten years despite huge investments government claimed to have invested on it. This has necessitated the move to restructure and privatize PHCN declared Agbo (2007). Besides ICT infrastructure which facilitates the running of broadcasting industry are oftentimes damaged by power surges that usually accompany epileptic power supply (kadiri & Adetoro, 2012). Most broadcasting stations in Nigeria have now resulted to using power generating sets to provide basic services. It is ironical that, in spite of the enormous power generation potential that Nigeria has, about 60 percent of the country still has no access to electric power supply (UNDP 2001; Ajanaku 2007 and Adegbamigbe 2007).
Regular “electric” power supply is the primary infrastructure for provision of broadcasting services (Uwaifo, 2013). Nigeria is richly endowed with various energy sources, crude oil, natural gas, coal, hydropower, solar energy, fissionable materials for nuclear energy. Yet the country consistently suffers from energy shortage, a major impediment to industrial, technological and broadcasting services growth.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
In Nigeria, poor electricity supply is perhaps the greatest infrastructural problem confronting broadcasting services. Broadcasting stations and other sectors of the economy experiences power outage or voltage fluctuations about seven times per week, each lasting for about two hours, without the benefit of prior warning (Adenikinju, 2005). This imposes a huge lost on the Heartland FM Owerri, giving rise to idleness of presenters, how output, damaged equipment and restart costs. The overall impact increase uncertainty in provision of broadcasting services and frustrations among it audience. This project therefore seeks to examine the effects of power outages on the performance of media houses, a case study of Heartland FM Owerri).
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The major purpose of this study is to examine the effect of power outages on the performance of media house.
Other specific objectives are as follows:
- To evaluate the impact of power outages that led to disruption in broadcasting equipment.
- To evaluate the impact of power outages on the business of the media houses.
- To evaluate the impact of power outages on the reaction of the broadcasting audiences.
- To examine the rate in which power outages affect broadcasting services.
1.4 Research Questions
- Does electricity supply have any effect on performance of media house?
- To what extent does power outage. Affect the provision of broadcasting services?
- What causes power outages on the performance of broadcasting services?
- In what ways does electricity affect the cost of broadcasting services?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
The study will provide insight into solving the perennial problem posed by frequent power outages in provision of broadcasting services in Heartland FM Owerri. It will also be relevant in various ways.
- The project work will serve as reference material to other researchers wishing to examine the findings of this research work critically.
- The students of mass communication will also find this research very useful.
- The research work will also help other firms in the communication sub sector to know the effect of power outages in the global world.
1.6 Limitation Of The Study
The general applicability of the study findings are as follows:
1. Time is a major factor in data collection and other relevant information for use, also physical energy was applied because research work is a tedious work and most a times you get worked up in the process.
2. The materials that will done must be readily available use, it becomes difficult to carry an effective study, hence the materials needed to carry out an effective research posed another barrier, thus making the research to embark on a thorough research to comes up with a substantial material this is another limitations of the study.
3. Lastly, financial is another problem. You have to subscribe so the internal, surf the web, buy books and journals and put the data together. Because of these limitations, the researcher had to concentrate in a particular group to narrow down this work.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
The study was carried out to find the effect of power outages on the performance of media houses. The study is focused in Owerri, Imo state. Since it is the coverage of the study. The work covered different reaction of media audiences.
1.8 Operational Definition Of Terms
A charge that somebody causes in somebody or something else.
A period of time when the supply of electricity is not working.
The main ways that large numbers of people receive information and entertainment i.e. Television, Radio and newspaper.
The act of performing a play concert or some other form of entertainment.
A machine for producing electricity.
This is a short or long term loss of the electric power to an area.
I bet you, the complete material is fully loaded. This is just an excerpt. The Material is in MS-Word Format which you can easily edit and is comprehensive for a complete research work for this topic
📩How to get the complete material
The complete material is
N3,000. You are to make payment to :
Account No: 0811003731,
Bank Name: Access Bank,
Acct Name: Samphina Academy.
The mode of payment is through bank transfer or bank deposit
After Payment, send us the following information:
- 📍Payment Details (For Transfer:Send the account name you transferred money from | For Deposit:Snap and send the deposit receipt)
- 📍Project / Seminar Material you need (Topic)
- 📍An Active Email Address
The three(3) ways in which you can send us these information are:
- Through our email address “email@example.com”
- Through Text Message to “08143831497”
- Through WhatsApp “click to start chat“
After Sending your information and making payment, the material will be forwarded to you in less than 10mins via your email address