Effects Of The Neglect Of Guidance And Counselling On Academic Performance Of Some Selected Secondary School Students
The research was undertaken to justify the effectiveness or otherwise of counseling services in Taraba state, the research method used in this research is descriptive survey research method. The population of this research consists of students of secondary schools in Taraba state these schools consist of boarding, day and private schools. Population of the study was 1,800 SS III students in Wukari and Donga education zones of Taraba state. The sample size was 364 students drawn through simple random sampling technique. The study adopted an ex-post-facto research design. The instrument for data collection were students WAEC result to answer research questions 2–4 and a structured questionnaire developed by the researcher which was validated by three experts from the faculty of education, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, to answer research question one. Main findings of the study revealed, among others, that guidance and counselling services influence Taraba state students’ academic performance and transition rate into tertiary institutions.
1.1 Background to the Study
In Nigeria society like all other fast developing countries, one discovers that guidance and counselling services are indispensable in all areas of our national life. The absence of guidance and counselling services in any nation may lead into various problems which might affect the life of the majorities. One of such problem that may arise is the serious uncertainty in assessing students’ innate abilities when it comes to educational consideration.
In school today one cannot boast of a good number of students who have discovered their talents or academic potentialities in secondary schools. The schools have not done much to help or assist students discover their innate abilities through the help of guidance and counselling. Therefore, students just choose to study all subjects in school curriculum without any special note of strength and weaknesses of each student.
The result of this ignorance of guidance and counselling is that many students are not sure of the subject to study for their school certificate examination. Hence, they fail to have a good combination of result.
Many students have results that seem to be very good but without good or required combination for courses in any of the tertiary institution. There is the cross-road of uncertainty creeps in decision about what courses to pursue or what profession to prepare for or what higher educational institution to go before it difficult to make.
Moreover, it is in the view of this situation that the students who fail to perform well in examination are not necessarily because of poor intellectual ability but because they fail to adopt effective study skills due to ignorance or neglected of guidance and counselling.
It is in the view of this situation that the researcher advocates guidance and counselling as one of such educational services that are aimed to develop assess improve educational programmes and making learning experiences more meaningful especially for the secondary school students.
Apparently, guidance and counselling also assist the secondary school students adjust properly to family school, peer association and society in general. Carefully study of the students interest (extrinsic and intrinsic) abilities, strength, future aspiration capabilities and weaknesses it is also meant to:
- Guide students to discover the subject curriculum which aggress with their innate abilities.
- To direct the students to choose a suitable subject combination for their future careers.
- Provide students with enough information about the viable occupations in the areas of their interest and lead them to choose one of two such areas.
Finally, it is very important that guidance and counselling can not be overlooked or neglected in the academic performance of secondary school students.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The neglect of guidance and counselling in schools have been one of the contributing factors to the poor performance of students in the secondary schools. The guidance and counselling personnel found themselves in school are engaged with some other academic responsibilities which have been preventing them from giving their very best and time for guidance and counselling services.
The guidance and the counsellor have not gotten the time and administrative support to perform that one-to-one inter-personal relationship by which problems of the deeply affected client could be solved.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
This study was carried out
- To find out if there is need for guidance and counselling services in school.
- To find out the consequences of the neglect and counselling in the performance of students.
- To find out the possible reasons for the neglect of guidance and counselling in schools.
- To find out the qualification of teacher that can affect the services of guidance and counselling.
1.4 Research Questions
- Is there any need for guidance and counselling in our secondary school?
- What are the possible reasons for neglecting the guidance and counselling services in secondary schools?
- What are the consequences of the neglect of guidance and counselling in student academic performance in secondary school subject?
1.5 Significance of the Study
The result of the findings of this study will provide basis for affective services of guidance and counselling in secondary schools to enhance excellent performance of students in the secondary schools. It is also hoped that it will help the government to make initiative of providing guidance and counselling in secondary schools.
1.6 Scope of the Study
Thus study will focus on the academic performance of students in junior secondary schools three and senior secondary schools one including the effect of the neglect of guidance and counselling services.
1.7 Definition of Terms
This means that when someone fail to do something or failed to yield to any advice been given to him by any personnel.
It means the process of keeping someone to understand himself. It is also the process of controlling or advising somebody by somebody with more experience.
It is the process of assisting people or giving professional advice about a problem.
(4) Guidance and Counselling:
This is a continuous interaction process which is directed towards discovering and individual better, understanding himself recognize and utilize his talent and beware of this strengths and weaknesses and solve his problems in the most condiment atmosphere.
Conclusion and Recommendation
In this study, our focus was to carryout a critical analysis on Effects Of The Neglect Of Guidance And Counselling On Academic Performance Of Some Selected Secondary School Students. The study specifically was aimed at ascertaining if there is need for guidance and counselling services in school. This study reviewed and anchored its framework on Person-Centered Theory.
The study adopted the survey research design and randomly enrolled participants in the study. A total of 230 responses were validated from the enrolled participants where all respondent are students in Taraba State.
The findings revealed that the basis of the findings of this study, the following conclusions have been drawn.
- The findings revealed that respondents agreed that all the items as presented in Table are the guidance and counselling services provided in Taraba state secondary schools.
- Guidance and counselling services influence students’ academic achievement in Taraba State.
- Guidance and counselling services also influence the transition rate of secondary school students into tertiary institutions.
- Transition rate of female students in Taraba State is higher than the transition rate of their male counterpart.
- There is a significant difference in the academic achievement of Taraba State secondary school students exposed to guidance and counselling services and those not exposed.
- There is a significance difference in the transition rate of Taraba State secondary school students exposed to guidance and counselling services and those not exposed.
- There is no significant difference between the transition rate of male and female students in Taraba State secondary schools.
The following recommendations are made based on the findings of this study:
- Government should as a matter of urgency, provide guidance and counselling services to all public secondary schools in Taraba State.
- Guidance counsellors in public secondary schools in Taraba State should be encouraged to go for in service training, workshops, seminars and conferences to update their knowledge on current trends and innovations in their area of service. This will equip them with essential skills in achieving the programme stated objectives.
- There should be general sensitization of students, parents and the general public on the importance of guidance and counselling especially as it concerns students academic achievement.
- School counsellors should pay more attention to the male students during counselling session. This will help increase their academic performance and transition rate into tertiary institutions.
- Governments should give incentives to individuals or schools that perform well in external examination which encourage higher academic performance of students.
- Parents should ensure that their wards are exposed to guidance and counselling services for greater academic achievement.
- School administrators should appreciate the importance of school counsellors in their schools and give them the necessary support they need to discharge their duties effectively.
Complete Material For Effects Of The Neglect Of Guidance And Counselling On Academic Performance Of Some Selected Secondary School Students
The Complete Material will be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make a Mobile Transfer or POS Payment of ₦3,000 to any of the Account Below
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
|Account No.: 1225513212|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Effects Of The Neglect Of Guidance And Counselling On Academic Performance Of Some Selected Secondary School Students
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
This research material “Effects Of The Neglect Of Guidance And Counselling On Academic Performance Of Some Selected Secondary School Students” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Effects Of The Neglect Of Guidance And Counselling On Academic Performance Of Some Selected Secondary School Students” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the role of guidance and counseling in secondary schools?
The roles of guidance and counseling have increased overtime in most secondary schools in Nigeria; its effect is mostly noticed in the academic performance of secondary schools students. Guidance and counselling are two closely interrelated concepts and each determines the availability and efficient of the other.
Why are guidance and counseling services adopted in secondary schools in Nigeria?
The adoption of guidance and counseling services in most secondary schools in Nigeria was as a result of behavioural pattern of students in most schools. The schools environment, peer group and their relationship with teachers has a role to play in the academic performance of students.
Do guidance and counseling programs help in improving academic performance of students?
Despite the fact that, guidance and counseling programs are made available in both homes and in schools, there is still great height of indiscipline among student which contributed has influence on their academic performance.
What is guidance in education?
According to Makinde (1984) and Patterson (1977), “guidance” refers to a broad area of all educational activities and services aimed at assisting individual students to understand themselves and adjust to school life.