Effectiveness Of Cash Management On Growth And Survival Of Manufacturing Company
The study was designed to determine the effectiveness of cash management on growth and survival of a manufacturing company using Nigeria Bottling Company Plc as a case study.
A descriptive survey sample design was adopted. Data was collected for funding a self developed questionnaire which was validated and tested for reliability. A total of seventeen people took part in the survey.
The random sampling technique was used to select the subjects – to answer the research questions and hypothesis raised in the investigation, percentage and chi-square were used.
The result showed that effective cash management is necessary to ensure the smooth running and survival of the company. The data collected indicated that all variable investigated do not significantly influence effective cash management on growth and survival of a manufacturing company in Nigeria Bottling Company Plc.
Recommendations were therefore made based on the findings for improvement in the communication net work. And more so it is important to consider other valuable like stock management, debtors management among others affecting management company’s growth and survival.
Cash is the most important asset for business operation. It is the basic input required to start the business and essential tool needed to keep the business running on a continuous basis. Cash is also the ultimate output expected to be realized by selling the products or service on an organization. Infact, it is the lifeblood of business. Effectual management of cash is essential in maintaining the cash control of business cash flow.
While management is the process of organizing controlling, coordinating the resources of an organization in an efficient and effective manner iii order to achieve direct result.
Cash management can be defined as the art of managing (i.e. planning, controlling, organizing and co-ordinating) cash and cash equivalent in an organization to ensure the objective of the organization which might include profitability, growth and survival (Pandey I. (2004).
Every organization estimate its future cash need with some relevant technique or tools for making financial decision for the organization as a whole, but face a fundamental problem of managing cash with a liquidity buffer to meet unexpected contingency. Liquidity itself is a measure of financial viability. It refers to a firms ability to pay its obligation when they become due. Management of cash involves trade off between:
- Liquidity: Having enough cash available to meet everyday demand;
- Profitability/Cost: Holding high balance of cash is costly in terms of cost investment interest. while unexpected deficit can be expensive if emergency funding is required.
Cash management in any organization involve the operating cash cycle which is component of the working capital. Therefore cash cannot be studied in isolation. In a manufacturing company, cash management covers the following:
- The provision of cash as Capital for the Company initial out lay which generated from friends family or loan at bank.
- The procurement of raw materials
- The distribution of finished goods to obtain immediate cash or create debtor when goods are sold on credit term.
In practice, a carefully monitored budget will generally provide the basis for cash management.
1.2 Historical Background Of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc
The Nigerian Bottling Company Plc was incorporated on 22nd November, 1951 as private limited liability company with authorised share capital of N200.000 divided into 400,000 ordinary shares of 50 kobo each and issued per capital of N130,900 divided into 261,800 ordinary shares of 50 kobo each. The entire shareholding was then owned by foreign shareholders notably late Anacliasions George Leveiltis.
It got converted to public company in 1972, and it is the most profitable and promising member of Leventies Group of Companies but the manufacturing units within the Leventies group known as Beta Industries Limited which was to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc.
In the light of emerging developments, however, it became necessary for the new company to run independently as a commercially viable unit.
The main business of the company is the bottling of soft drink. It is sole bottler in Nigeria of the coca-cola and scheweppes range of soft drinks.
As at the date of this study, NBC’s authorized share capital is N275,000,000 divided into 550,000,000 ordinary shares of 50 kobo each. Out of which 483,740,4400 share are issued and fully paid.
The paid up capital of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc is beneficially held as follows:
No. of Shareholders
Molino Soft Drinks S.A.
Its subsidiaries associated companies and investment are as follows-,
A. Subsidiaries: 100%
Sum it Agro Industrial Company Ltd 100%
Nigeria Bottling Company Plc Benin) Ltd. 100%
Apapa Chemical Industrial Limited 100%
Grown Products Limited 60%
Delta Glass Plc 57%
B. Associated Companies:
Valley Foods Limited 48.13%
Blaize Industrial Company Limited 40.00%
Kupa Firms Limited 40%
Continental Can (Nigeria) Ltd. 22.05%
Beta Industries Limited 3.67%
The manufacturing process of Nigeria Bottling Products is based on carefully measured combination of sugar, water, carbon dioxide and concentration which are 400, usually imported from the United States to ensure that some standard is maintained 261,8( throughout the world.
NBC Ikeja plant, has a very broad organizational structure with the plant managers at its apex, directly under him are those occupying the functional management position. These are the assistant plant manager, plant accountant, sales manager and bottling manager.
1.3 Statement Of The Problem
During the proceed of achieving efficient cash management, financial manager encounters source problems, which have not made the management of cash resources an easy task.
The type of problem associated with cash management which the management which the study will be trying to provide answer to in relation to manufacturing company includes the following:
- Problem of generating fund either to be used as start-up capital or daily operations.
- Determination of right investment opportunities to invest idle cash.
- Determination liquidity policy to embark upon to maintain a balance between liquidity and profitability.
- Identification of methods of ensuring cash adequacy.
- Problem of funding mis-match in project or investment financing in which short term fund is used to finance long term project.
- Problem of deciding on the amount of cash to be hold by the organization in order to meet up with their demand.
- Determination of uses to which surplus funds can be put to generate income.
- Adequate management of receivable or debtors to ensure debt recovery.
- Problem of planning for the adequate supply of stock that will provide constant inflow of cash to be the organization.
1.4 Statement Of Research Question
This study will seek to answer the following question:
- Does any significance relationship between cash management and profitability and growth of manufacturing companies?
- What impact does effective cash management has on the profitability and growth management has on the profitability and growth of manufacturing company?
- How does an effective cash management ensure the growth and survival of a manufacturing company?
- Will the manufacturing company grow and be more effective in its business operation if cash is properly managed?
1.5 Aim And Objectives
The aim of the research is to examine the impact of cash management on the growth and survival of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc. They are:
- To examine the sources of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc
- To identify the constraints and likely problem that Nigeria Bottling Company Plc. face in raising funds.
- To review the existing cash management of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc for efficiency and effectiveness.
- To examine the effect of inadequate on the profitability and growth of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc
- To make policy recommendations on efficient and effective cash management in the manufacturing industry.
1.6 Statement Of Research Hypothesis
The following hypotheses will be tested in the project:
- H0: Effective cash management has no significance impact on profitability an growth of manufacturing company.
- Hi: Effective cash management has a significant impact on the growth and survival of manufacturing company.
- H0: There is no significant relationship between cash management and growth and survival of a company.
- Hi. There is a significant relationship between cash management and growth and survival of a company.
1.7 Significance Of The Study
The significance of this study is established on the assumption that for any manufacturing company to survive and maximize profit, there is need for such company to manage it can effectively.
The research will also enable the management to compare and contrast the various methods of raising fund to finance the productive activities of the company and it will allow them to choose the best alternative. More so, it will be of great value to the management of the company because it will afford the management of to examine the current system of cash management in the organization.
It will afford the company the opportunity to maintain an optimum cash position and take corrective measure in situation of shortage or surplus liquidity. The findings of this study is expected to educate the general and potential manufacturer who might be opportune to lay hand on this project in their respective line of business.
Above all, the study will enable the company to amend some system of operation which the research world reveal as inappropriate for effective cash management.
1.8 Scope And Limitation Of Study
This study, will concentrate on the cash management problem of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc and its cash management policies as regards control to monitor the inflow and outflow cash.
It shall only cover the finance department of the company where cash is raised, managed and accounted for. This will enable the researcher to gain in the company.
The concentration of the study would be to find out in Nigeria Bottling Company Plc. operate and effective. Cash management determine the ways by which cash management affect the growth and survival of Nigeria Bottling Company Plc. The chief among many, limitation of the study is the difficult in obtaining relevant information Nigeria Bottling Company Plc.
Another major problem militating against the smooth conduct of this research is the lack of adequate finance.
Notwithstanding the highest limitation is hope that this research will be useful to many organization that may want to embark on an effective and efficient cash management.
1.9 Definitions Of Terms
Money or any negotiable money under a cheque, including the collected balances or deposit with a bank that is assumed to be available for use by the enterprise.
a cash budget is a summary statement of the firms expected cash inflow and outflow over a projected time current asset..
This is the excess of cash generated over a cash applied resulting in an inverse in working capital.
Effectiveness Of Cash Management On Growth And Survival Of Manufacturing Company
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Effectiveness Of Cash Management On Growth And Survival Of Manufacturing Company
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Effectiveness Of Cash Management On Growth And Survival Of Manufacturing Company” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Effectiveness Of Cash Management On Growth And Survival Of Manufacturing Company” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.