Effective Communication And Organization Efficiency In Civil Service (A Study Of Imo State Ministry Of Health Owerri)
This study examines effective communication and organizational efficiency in civil service (A study of Imo state ministry of health Owerri). Communication can be viewed generally as interaction between persons or groups of person.
Such interaction usually must originate from a source with message passed through a channel to the person to whom it is intended to (receiver) and must be capable of eliciting the response (feedback).this is enhanced through the use of appropriate way to communication in our day to day endeavour or in organizations so as to make our communication effective.
The instruction used in this work was data collection questionnaire from workers who constituted the study. In the bias of above finding recommendations were made that communication must be goal-oriented and management should use formal report and management information system.
Table Of Content
- Title page
- Certification page
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 objective of the study
- 1.4 Research questions
- 1.5 Statement of hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Scope of the study
- 1.8 Limitation of the study
- 1.9 Definitions of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Aim of communication
- 2.3 Essential of communication
- 2.4 Communication breakdown
- 2.5 Effective Communication
- 2.6 Channels of Communication
- 2.7 The problems of communication in the civil service
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources/methods of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sample size
- 3.5 Sampling technique
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7 Methods of data analysis
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data
- 4.3 Analysis of data
- 4.4 Interpretation of result
5.0 Summary, Recommendation and Conclusion
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of findings
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendations
The essence of this topic effective communication and organizational efficiency in civil service is to review the ways in which one person to another/receiver communicate effectively in our day to day activities. It is also for those who engaged themselves in office/parastatals. It also review the ways in which compensation can be broken down or barriers to effective communication, this is because communication is as important that without it, an organization cannot functions.
1.1 Background Of The Study
Communication is basic to an organization existence. It is one of the most common idea must be communicated before meaningful decisions activities people engaged in, infact, feeling an can be made and it must continue if the objective of the organization is to be achieved.
Managers spend more of their time communicating to coordinate human and physical element of the organization into an efficient and effective working unit.
Communication is so important that without it an organization cannot function. Since an organization is a group of people associated for business, political, religious, social or other purposes. It’s activities require human being to interact and react to exchange information, ideas, plans and proposal, to coordinate and to make decision, both within and outside the organization.
Communication is the life wire of every organizations and its effectiveness determines the extent of success in the organization, business come as well in the managers personal life. When communication falls, organized and coordinated or motivating people. In the view of random and Hatherman (1968) by communication, it means the flow of materials, information machinery may cripple the activities of an organization. The study is therefore aimed of finding out how effective communication contributes to organization performance.
The Imo state is located in the south Eastern Region of Nigeria, it was created on February 3rd 1976, when the former east central lies between Latitude 4o45, and 6o15, North, longitude 6o30, and 8o09 east. It is bordered on the North by Anambra state, on the south and west by rivers states and on the east by cross rivers state.
The head of government ministry is the civil commissioner; he is also the political head of his ministry. The permanent secretary is the administrative head (a civil servant) he is also the accounting officer for the ministry.
The ministry of health is responsible for the two entry-one government hospitals including a civil service and three dental centers.
Health services in Imo state are controlled by the state ministry of health, it is the statutory function of that ministry to inspect, approve and register hospitals and other health institutions in the state. The ministry also disburses government’s grant in aid to joint and voluntary agency hospitals.
The Imo state ministry of health is responsible for implementation the state policy on health which is to provide a comprehensive, assessable, affordable health care delivery system that is efficient and effective for a held and productive for Imo population, the ministry of health achieves this purpose through eight (8) main departments.
- Administration department
- Accounts and supply department
- Planning, research and statistics
- Primary and public health department
- Vector control and laboratory service department
- Nursing service department
- Medical services department.
- Drug administration department
Besides the (8) eight department of the ministry also helps to implement the state policies, through the hospital management, but which provide secondary care services through the nineteen (19) state general hospitals in the state. The ministry of health also implement government policy through health institutions were Amigho school of health technology, school of midwifery Awomamma and school of nursing Owerri and school of public health Owerri.
The midwifery school: six hospitals in the state run midwifery school. They are General Hospital, Aba, they Holy Rosary Hospital Emekuku etc.
There are four hospitals in the state approved for the training of nurses according to the stipulations of the nursing council of Nigeria. The hospitals are; the General Hospital Aba, Afikpo, Umuahia, and Mater Miseri Cordac Hospital etc.
The ministry of health has the helm of the permanent secretary, director and of professional and non professional who sited to run day to day activities.
1.2 Statement Of The Problems
Basically, there are problems that occur when communication is not effective in the running of an organization some of this are.
Poor communication may affect harmonious industrial relationship between employee and management.
The cost of poor communication are various and include misunderstanding, west inefficiency poor moral, feeling confusion and many other negative consequences.
Poor communication may lead to filtering of someone’s message. Filtering is elective listening in reverse. Infact, we might call it selective sending” when senders convey only part of the relevant information in receivers, they are said to be filtering their message. Subordinates suppress negative information and relay only data that will be perceive by superiors as being positive, filtering by superiors are being positive, filtering is very common when people are being evaluated for promotions salary increases of performance appraisals. Poor communication may lead to break down in labour relation, which might cause industrial actions and disruption of production runs.
The problem posed by poor communication shall be studied with a view to improving communication in organization, hereby reducing the degrees associated with gaps in information flows.
Distrust can also be guide to poor communication, a lack of trust on the part of either communicator is likely to evoke one or more of the barriers we have just examined. Sender may filter out important information if thy distinct receiver and receiver mat from value judgment, make references and listen only selectively to distrust senders.
Distrust is sometimes caused by status differences lower status employees can be intimidated by upper status job titles, plus offices, sophisticated model of address and perhaps even a particular manager’s reputation.
When there is information gap, due to poor communication system.
The gap is often closed with rumor speculations and half truth. The adverse consequences of those are better imagined the experienced.
Time is often wasted when information which ordinary would have been communicated by the use of telephone or electronic means is sent through a slow and delay medium.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
- To establish the importance of communication in an industry.
- To examine the dangers posed by poor communication in organization.
- To identify various ways to improve organization performances.
- To examine the nature of pattern of managing communication and its effect in industry.
- To identify ways of checking poor communication in an organization.
- To investigate how organizational policies and communication establishment by Imo state ministry of health Owerri. This is very important to examine the organization structure in relation to channels of communication.
- To examine the cordial relationship between the employee and management of the Imo state ministry of health Owerri.
- To identify the nature of their service delivery in the ministry of health Owerri.
1.4 Research Questions
- To what extent has communication gone towards bringing sanity and effective relationship in the Nigerian civil service structure¬¬¬?
- In the area of good medical or health delivery, communication is vital, what has the government done to ensure effective and up to date communication in the ministry of health?
- Communication as a backbone of effective relationship. Relationship between the executive and of government of civil servants?
- To what extent has drug administration department in the ministry of health Owerri gone towards bringing trust in their service delivery?
- How can poor communication affect the relationship between employees and management?
- How far has the management of ministry of health Owerri gone towards performance appraised and critical incident behavior of employees in the state?
- To what extent has the government gone to ensure the effectiveness of the job training in the service?
1.5 Statement Of Hypothesis
- Ho: There is no significant relationship between effective communication and organizational objective.
Hi: There is a significant relationship between effective communication and organizational objective.
- Ho: Poor or distorted communication does not hinder organizational efficiency.
Hi: Poor or distorted communication hinders organizational efficiency.
1.6 Significance Of The Study
The project work shall be relevant in various ways:
- The outcome of this project shall be useful to the management of ministry of health Imo state.
- The project work shall also serve as reference material to other researchers wishing to examine the finding of this research work more critically.
- The student of public administration will also find this research very useful.
- The research work would also help other firms in the communication sub-sector to know the importance of communication in the modern world.
- The project will be relevant or useful in the civil service structure.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
The study is designed to carryout the role of effective communication in improving organizational efficiency. The study focused on imo state ministry of health, Owerri. Since its case study that council different section of the ministry and overview of the role of effective communication in improving organizational efficiency.
1.8 Limitation Of The Study
While researching this project, there are certain difficulties which I encountered. They are as follows:
- Lack of necessary equipment facilities and materials: there is equipment, facilities and materials needed for this research work like current journals, periodicals and textbooks are extremely difficult to get and also outdated.
- Financial constraints: there is a problem of money to transport and get the information that is needed for the project.
- Finally, poor communication network; there is also a barrier in network communication. This make it difficult to make calls or receive calls to inquire some things needed. The problem also made it worse by frequent traffic jam on the road.
1.9 Definition Of Terms
It is a process by which information is passed between an individual and a group or interaction between person or group of persons.
This consist two or more people coming together for a purpose. It is also refers to anybody that is set up by more than two persons to achieve stated goals and objectives. It can also be seen as a group of people who form business e.g. companies, hospitals, churches, government agencies, ministry organization and institution.
This message conveyed which serves as a source of decision making in an organization.
This is a system in which communication flows from the upper level of an organization to the lower level. It can also be said to be communication from superior to the subordinate. It can also be seen as inform of orders, queries and information relating to work.
This is communication originating from the lower levels to higher level of organization. When a subordinate writes to his boss to clarify some issues. It is upward communications.
5.0 Summary, Recommendation And Conclusion
In this project the researcher sought to investigate the effective communication and organization efficiency in civil service through the Imo state ministry of health, Owerri. The researcher also has explained the different types of communication and barriers which can affect the effective communication in our day to day activities and has bring measures to solve them.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
From the research work, it is clear that communication is a vital instrument for the existence of an organization because people in the organization rely heavily on how communication works with the individuals and groups.
Consequently, communication is said to be effective when the sender and receiver of message are in complete accord over the meaning of the particular message. Hence communication is the life wire of an organization. In the course of this study, it was discovered that effective communication takes place in an organization when it is well packed, written, conveyed, or sent and well received. Communication enthrones industrial harmony in an organization based on the above analysis. It is interpreted that effective combination has a positive impact on organization performances. Hence the Imo state ministry of health Owerri needs adequacy and effective communication strategies for efficient and effective performance and to attain organization goals. For this to be achieved effectively in an organization. Its goals must used effectively.
This project intends to take a cursory look at the nature of the effective communication and organizational efficiency in civil service. In Imo State Ministry of Health, Owerri as it concerns how effective communication can contribute to organizational performance.
Based on the premise from different authors about communication in literature review of the chapter two of this work, the researcher sets out in this chapter to verify the responses of the various staff of Imo State Ministry of Health Owerri. Oral questions and structured questionnaire administered in this so as to make the work vivid and understanding based on their responses in this work. Majority of the staff all cadres owned in the affirmative manner.
Since communication is the process of establishing oneness of through between a sender and a receiver when it is not effectively carried out the objectives may be defeated.
Effectiveness in communication required the consideration of the primary communication factors such as parties, network and channel for communication to be effective.
Based on our findings and discussions the researcher makes the following recommendations:
- Management has to improve communication skills
- Management should properly identify and choose the channel suitable for use.
- They have to clarify ideas before communication.
- Management should obtain feed back
- Management should use formal reports and management information system.
- Management should develop non threatening work environment.
How To Get The Complete Material For Effective Communication And Organization Efficiency In Civil Service (A Study Of Imo State Ministry Of Health Owerri)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Effective Communication And Organization Efficiency In Civil Service (A Study Of Imo State Ministry Of Health Owerri)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply