The Effect Of Socio-Economic Status Of Parents On The Academic Achievement Of Secondary School Students
The objective of this study was to find out the effect of socio-economic status of parent on the achievement of secondary school students in Obubra Local Government Area of Delta state. It is the fact that the home in which the comes from has an effect on his/her academic achievement in school. Questionnaires were given to students to enable the researcher appraise the issue of the effect of socio-economic status of parents on the academic achievement. Simple percentage was used to analyze the data collected. This was done to test effectively the three research questions.
- Is there a relationship between the facilities provided at home and the academic achievement of students?
- Is there a relationship between the occupation of parents and parental encouragement on the academic achievement of students?
- Is there a relationship between the type of family and academic achievement of students.
From the analysis of the data, the following findings emerged. Facilities provided at home have effect on students/ academic achievement. Parent occupations also effect students’ achievement in school. The type of family does not affect student’s achievement.
1.1 Background of the Study
The relevance of education in the upbringing of children can not be overemphasized. Since the children of today constitutes the leaders of tomorrow, there is the need for every society to educate its children as this will contribute to the overall growth and development, thereby reducing the rate of crime and illiteracy in the society. For this is to make manifest, certain things should be inculcated in the individual such as skills, habits, attitude, moral values and prohibits disapproved ones. There should be a combination of formal and informal education given to them in order for them to make a constructive development of the society and themselves.
The interest of educators is well pronounced as to what effect the socio-economic status of parents have on their behaviour and learning ability. It is believed that if such effect exists, it should vary widely according to the sophistication of the learning contingencies provided by such factor.
But what we see around these days, nothing but nonchalant attitudes of the parents towards their children education. This is done in various ways, such as parents no longer stay at home to see after the affairs of their children, simply because of the guests by for the means of survival. Due to the fact that these children are not properly cared for, some of them grow up to create problems for the family and at times to the society entirely. This is simply from their unwillingness towards the educational pursuit. Also academic achievement depending on the availability of learning materials or facilities, funds and otherwise in situation whereby students from school A perform better in terms of academic than school B, students lie on the above mentioned problems. So without parents not being ready to train their children, their achievement in school might be discouraging due to the theory of individual differences. Even when some are being cared for properly, you discover that they still not cope with the system thereby leading to their failure or poor academic achievement.
The home is viewed as one of the factors that cause poor achievement of students in secondary schools. The problems of why children achieve of fail to achieve in school has always been of interest to philosophers. The home background of students, physical condition of home, genetic and endowment, poor methodology of teacher have been put forth and possible answer and has received a great deal of attention. Socio-economic background is one of the greatest factors that effect secondary school students.
With these observations, the poor achievement of secondary school students in school work could be traced to the schools’ parental attitudes, socio-economic status, family size etc. the main aim of this study is to examine the effect of socio-economic background of parent on the academic achievement of secondary school students in Obubra Local Government Area of Delta state. Confidentially, the researcher intends to provide solutions to most of these problems above in the course of study.
1.2 Statement of Problem
The failure of parents to recognize and realize that the ability of their children to perform well is greatly influenced by the home and this is a serious problem because of their belief that the standard of education of nowadays has fallen.
Some scholars have argued that the immediate and remote causes of the problem militating against the effect of socio-economic status of students’ achievement in secondary schools. The governments to some extent also contribute to the poor economy of the country making parents not able to send their children to school, and also socio-economic status, family size, educational background, effect of home, place of residence, family structure, effect of peer group etc.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of carrying out this study is to examine the effect of socio-economic status of parents on the academic achievement of secondary school students and also to know the extent to which educational status of parents affect students’ academic achievement. this is why the study is being carried out to suggest possible solutions that would help to solve the problems in the society.
1.4 Research Questions
Some of the research questions A study on the effect of socio-economic status of parents on the academic achievement of secondary school students in Obubra Local Government Area of Delta state.
- Does socio-economic status affect the academic achievement of students?
- Do you think parents contribute to students’ achievement in school?
- Do parents’ occupations affect students’ achievement in school?
- Do you think family size affects students’ academic achievement?
- Do you think family structure affects academic achievement of students?
1.5 Significance of the Study
This study will be of help to the educational planner in designing school programmes and curriculum to the call of their parents towards their children’s academic achievement. it will also help to awaken the family even the society at large from their slumbering state of the educational career of their youth.
The discovered information of this researcher will help the teachers, educators and curriculum specialists and school administrators to plan ways or means of meeting the needs of children from different home backgrounds.
This will also help the children to see their own ways of contributing to their poor achievement in school. The society through this finding can help to provide educational facilities such as good classrooms, qualified teachers, chairs, desks and apparatus for practical etc. in order to alliance the educational standard of the children.
1.6 Scope of the Study
This study is restricted to Obubra Local Government Area of Delta state. The researcher will focus on secondary schools in the above Mentioned local government.
1.7 Definition of Terms
The legal position of a person, group or country.
Connected with the trade industry and development of the wealth of a country, area or a society.
The effect that something has on the way a person thinks or behaves or on the way that something works or develops.
The act of performing a play, concert, or other forms of entertainment.
Summary, Findings, Conclusion and Recommendations
This chapter deals with the summary of findings, educational implications, conclusion, recommendations and suggestion for further research.
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of socio-economic background of parents on the achievement of their children in Obubra Local Government Area.
To investigate the study, five research questions/hypotheses were raised, they were:
- There is no significant difference between children from wealthy parents and those from poor parents in terms of academic achievement.
- There is no difference in the academic performance of children from polygamous families and the children from monogamous families.
- There is no significant difference in academic performance between children from large family and those from small family.
- There is no significant difference in the academic achievement of children from educated homes and those from uneducated homes.
- There is no major difference in the academic achievements of children from broken homes and children from unbroken homes.
The study adopted the survey design employing the descriptive method. The data collected for this research work were obtained with the aid of questionnaire constructed for the study and administered to the 100 students in the selected schools after special permission sort from each of the school principals.
From the findings of this study, it is clear that the socio-economic status, educational qualification, types of homes whether intact/separate, monogamous/polygamous significantly affect the educational achievements of children in school.
In view of the findings obtained from the research work, the following recommendations are made:
- The Federal Government should make the mass literacy campaign a more effective venture than it is today. Parents should be given proper orientation on the importance of education and as it affects their children’s performance at school.
- In the Ministry of Education, curriculum planners should be informed about the two sets of students in school so that in designing the curriculum provision should be made for the privileged and less privileged ones.
- Teachers should be vigilant to identify those that are affected by parental variables, so as to give them necessary assistance.
- The Government should increase minimum wages of employees so that the wide gap between the high and low class could be bridged. In this case, equal opportunities of the parental background. When this is done, the standard of living of low income earners and low levels of parental education will be raised.
- Government should undertake a wide campaign both at Federal, State and Local Government levels on the adverse effect of broken home and polygamous homes on the education of children at school.
- Government should ensure that school employs the services of guidance counselors who will from time to time check those students and identify their problems. They can do this by extending their services to the parents where the roots of most of the problems students encounter at school originated from.
Complete Material For The Effect Of Socio-Economic Status Of Parents On The Academic Achievement Of Secondary School Students
The Complete Material will be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make a Mobile Transfer or POS Payment of ₦3,000 to any of the Account Below
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
|Account No.: 1225513212|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Effect Of Socio-Economic Status Of Parents On The Academic Achievement Of Secondary School Students
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
This research material “The Effect Of Socio-Economic Status Of Parents On The Academic Achievement Of Secondary School Students” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Effect Of Socio-Economic Status Of Parents On The Academic Achievement Of Secondary School Students” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.