Effect Of Secondary School Students Disciplinary Problem On Academic Performance
Disciplinary problem has become the order of the day in our society today hence the presence of disciplinary problem in Eghosa Christian Academy, Ekiadolor Edo State at the secondary level would not be void of certain effect. This research work is therefore focused on the effect of student’s disciplinary problem on academic performance at the secondary school level. The role of the schools, the mass media and the religious association will be examined using Eghosa Christian Academy Ekiadolor, Edo State. It also sought to see the extent to which disciplinary problem has affected academic performance and standard of education in the secondary school level. My research work is divided into five chapters. Chapter one identifies the problem, chapter two of the study discusses at length, the rich literature that deals with disciplinary problem on academic performance and factors responsible for students disciplinary problem. Chapter three deals with the research methodology while chapter four deals on data presentation, analysis and interpretation of the various hypotheses. The project also deals extensively with the various contribution of the community and the relation of the curriculum to students needs. It also covers such areas of the role of the student and the role of the parents. In addition, this paper tries to identify the participation of the religious organization in shaping the life of students and also the activities of the mass media towards the eradication of disciplinary problem from secondary schools. It is hoped that the outcome of this study will provide the approaches to the eradication of disciplinary problem as a lasting solution to this problem in not only in Eghosa Christian Academy at the secondary school; level but also elsewhere. Finally, chapter five looks into summary recommendation and conclusion.
Background to the Study
Student’s disciplinary problem has become part of the average students in this country for quite a decade source. It has become a canker worm that has eaten deep into the fabric of the educational system and the authorities can no longer fold its hands watching this problem grow.
Reports of student’s disciplinary problem have become weekly if not daily affairs on the pages of the Nigerian Dailies source. It is not only the press media, the electronic media is not left out in the crusade against students disciplinary problems. Acts of utter vandalism destruction of school property drug addiction truancy and delinquent behaviour and the like have been recorded out our secondary level.
The student’s disciplinary problems at the secondary school level in Eghosa Christian academy have reached such a high degree that it has become a perennial problem, which constitutes discussion. A lot has been said of student’s disciplinary problem at the secondary school level at various schools and colleges at seminars conference and symposia.
In spite of the condemnation of problem there still exist in a regrettable and alarming proportion of rioting drug abuse truancy and other maladaptive behaviour among school level in Eghosa Christian academy.
This decaying morality has been attributed to teachers, students, parent, and educational authorities, government e. t. c.
Although it is very difficult to blame a particular arm of the society, the obvious facts remain that the standard of behaviour among secondary school student in Eghosa Christian academy has reached a stage whereby the problem has now become a societal one.
This researcher is therefore intended to examine the academic the effect of student’s disciplinary problem on academic performance at the secondary school level in Eghosa Christian academy Ekiadolor Edo state with the intention of finding possible ways of eliminating them.
Statement of Problem
No nation, society, institution of learning be it primary, post primary or higher institution, a family or even an individual can survive and succeed without strict adherence to the basic principles of disciplinary measures there must be evidence of courtesy, fair play justice, obedience, politeness, respect for elders and constituted authorities and finally, respect for for law and order for human dignity. What we see now is the opposite of all the above.
Purpose of Study
Disciplinary problem among secondary school students is now a subject of concern to almost every member of the Nigerian society.
It is therefore considered necessary to examine the effect of this problem on academic performance at this level in Eghosa Christian academy Ekiadolor Edo state. This study is considered significant because disciplinary problem in secondary school level could under mind the present effort by the government in bringing sanity in schools.
If we must have a healthy society in future children who are regarded as the leaders of such a society must be guarded in their transition from adolescent to adulthood to ensure a better society in future.
The purpose of this study therefore is:
- To examine the effect of disciplinary problem on academic performance at the secondary school level in Eghosa Christian academy Ekiadolor Edo state.
- To examine what could be responsible for this problem.
- To make suggestion and recommendation from findings.
- Are parents responsible for student’s disciplinary problem among secondary school level in Eghosa Christian academy?
- Does the corrupt attitude of the society affect student’s displinary problem?
- What is the effect of student’s disciplinary problem on academic performance?
Significance of the Study
The importance of this study is to examine the effect of student’s disciplinary problem on the academic performance at the secondary school level in Eghosa Christian academy Ekiadolor Edo state and this is sought out to see the extent to which disciplinary problem has affected academic performance and standard of education in secondary of education in secondary school. It is hoped that the outcome of this study will provide the approach to the eradication of disciplinary problem as a lasting solution to this problem is not only in Eghosa Christian academy but also elsewhere.
The study is restricted to the secondary school level. The sample will also include male and female of the secondary school and it is restricted to Eghosa Christian academy Ekiadolor Edo State.
Definition of Terms
The following definition is important for the successful completion of this project.
Act or habit of staying away from school without permission.
Is the adherence to rules and regulations governing the school which is the ruined and character to produce self-control, habit of obedience etc.
The absence of discipline in the form of disobedience, absenteeism, non-challant attitude, lateness to school, negligence of duty etc.
Is a formularized system which plans and coordinate organs of school (stating reporting and evaluating of all matters of the entire school affairs).
Behaviour that is intended to hurt or kills somebody.
A young person who is not yet an adult.
Conclusions and Recommendations
It can be concluded that the causes of disciplinary problem among students as viewed by primary school teachers in Nigeria were societal factor, Government factor, parental factor, school factor and students’ factor respectively. Similarly, there were no significant differences in the causes of indiscipline among students as viewed by primary school teachers in Nigeria based on gender, school locale, years of teaching experience and educational attainment.
Based on the above mentioned findings, the proposed recommendations are:
- The society has a strong hold on its members; members portray the image of the society and the society breeds its members. Therefore, to curb indiscipline among students since they are the future leaders of the country, members of the society must be informed of the causes of indiscipline among these students and redress. This can be done to continuous orientation by teachers and counsellors.
- As introduced by Skinner, punishment is a way by which unwanted behaviour can be reduced and extinguished hence, the government should reverse the abolition of corporal punishment in schools so that students could be well disciplined. Efforts should also be made to curb indiscipline in society through other means if corporal punishment cannot be re-included.
- Students tend to observe, internalize and act out what they see among peers and authority figures Therefore, the school must at all time portray discipline to students. Similarly, Administrators, teachers and other staff members must be enjoined to be of good behaviour for the students who are the hope of the country.
- Parents should monitor their wards well as charity begins at home. Children should be well guided and monitored so that they can be of good behaviour. More so, parents must lead by examples; their utterances must not negate their actions as this could send wrong signals to children for emulation. Parents should try as much as possible to create time for their children to create a feeling of bonding and acceptance in them, this would allow parents to observe, foresee, notice and caution unacceptable behaviours on time.
- As a matter of necessity, counsellors must educate the entire populace on the causes of indiscipline among students. Efforts should also be made to curb indiscipline in schools and society at large. This can be done by organizing talks and discussions on indiscipline for students in schools. Counsellors can also collaborate with teachers to organize talk shows and seminars for the entire public to get acquainted with indiscipline and its causes.
How To Get The Complete Material For Effect Of Secondary School Students Disciplinary Problem On Academic Performance
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Effect Of Secondary School Students Disciplinary Problem On Academic Performance
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply