Effect Of Marketing Concepts On The Growth Of Banking Industry (A Case Study Of Zenith Bank Plc)
Marketing activities play a vital role in the survival and growth of any organization. In recent time, marketing activities in the service industry have been posing serious problems to the service operators. This is because of the competitive nature and the increase in the number of services industries. The objective of this paper is to examine the effect of marketing concepts on the growth of the banking industry using a case study of Zenith Bank Plc, the study is based on information gathered and collected from both primary and secondary sources. Finding of the study revealed that applying a dominant role in the banking industry. This study also revealed the important and the benefit of applying the application of marketing concept in the Nigeria banking industries. Therefore, the continued existence of any service industry will depend on its ability to design and map out appropriate marketing strategy. Date analysis for the study was done simply and chi-square (X2) statistic was employed to test further the result of the analysis to confirm that the impact of application of marketing concept in the Nigeria banking industry.
Table of Content
- Title Page
- Table of Content
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of Problem
- 1.3 Research Objectives
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Research Hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the Study
- 1.7 Definition of Terms
- 1.8 Organization of Study
2,0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Analytical Frame Work of Marketing Concept
- 2.2 Production Orientation
- 2.3 Basic Element of Marketing Concept
- 2.4 Nature of Banking Services
- 2.5 The Impact and Limitation of the Modern Marketing Concept
- 2.6 Implementation of Marketing Concept
- 2.7 Marketing as a Business Function and Philosophy
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Area / Location of Study
- 3.3 Population of the Study
- 3.4 Sample / Sample Techniques
- 3.5 Instrument for Data Collection
- 3.6 Reliability and Validation of the Instrument
- 3.7 Method of Data Collection
- 3.8 Method of Data Analysis
4.0 Results and Discussion
- 4.1 Results
- 4.2 Discussion
5.0 Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Conclusion
- 5.2 Recommendations
1.1 Background of the Study
Marketing concept, the satisfying need and want of the target is better than the competitors at a profit, need not to be over emphasized. Marketing can also be in action or business of promoting and selling product or services.
Though it was rarely practice in the past by services industry. The laggard posture of services marketers in applying this marketing philosophy could also be trace to inseparability nature of services.
Apparently, owing to the very nature of banking service, it ought not to be treated in exactly the same way as other manufacturing firs,
Banking marketing must essentially perform two different functions.
- It must attract deposit on one hand
- It must attract borrowers and users of services on the other hand.
The dualistic of banking business entails marking problem that is more complicated than those confronting after business concern.
However, in recent times, there have been driven from the market due to their inability to meet up with the N25 billion capital base.
The banking industry now being the survival of the fittest has posed a lot of competitive problems on the survivors bank, both the old and new generation bank which have forced the marketing concept and its application in order to fight competition favourably and make more profit.
Zenith International Bank Limited was established on 30 May 1990 and headquarters in Lagos Nigeria as a private Limited Liability Company, the Bank was Licensed to carry on the business of banking in June 1990. the bank name was changed to Zenith bank Plc on 20 May 2004 to reflect its status as a public Limited Liability Company the bank’s shares was listed on the Nigeria stock exchange (NSE) on 21 October 2004 following a highly successful initial public offering (IPO) Nigeria institution and individuals numbering over a million currently own the shares of the bank.
The bank’s main services delivery channels in Nigeria are its business offices which as at 2011 had risen to about 330 branches and over 218 cash offices. These are located in prime business and commercial centre in all states of the federation and the federal capital territory (FTC) Abuja. Within the first decade of operations, the bank made its mark in profitability and all other performance indices, and has maintained this prime position till date.
1.2 Statement of Problem
Since marketing concept and its application is still new in our business organization, researchers has noticed that some organizations are behind, because of the following problems.
- Not accepting the consumer as the king.
- Producing the product or service they could for customers to choose.
- Not adopting to the changing marketing environments
- Wrong application of marketing concept
- Not considering the positive impact created by the application of marketing concept.
1.3 Research Objectives
The purpose of this study is to appraise the effect of marketing concepts on the growth of the banking industry using a case study of Zenith Bank Plc.
Specifically, the objectives include:
- To examine the impact created by marketing concept and its application in the banking industry.
- To find out whether lack of application of marketing concept can really contribute to business failure.
- To examine that the application is being carried out by zenith bank Plc.
- To identify the problem hampering effective application of marketing concept by Zenith Bank of Nigeria.
- To recommend to the growth of bank services.
1.4 Research Questions
This project is designed to tackle the following reach questions as it relates to the Zenith Bank of Nigeria Plc.
- To what extent had marketing concept created impact on banking industry?
- Would bank exist without applying marketing concept
- Could anything be done to improve customer’s services
1.5 Research Hypothesis
The following hypotheses were formulated to guide the study the hypothesis is to be tested at 0.5 alpha levels.
- Ho: Marketing concept does not serve as a tool for position impact in the banking industry.
- Hi: Marketing concept serve as a tool for position impact in banking industry.
- Ho: The existence of Zenith Bank is not dependent on the application of marketing concept.
- Hi: existence of Zenith Bank is highly dependent on the application of marketing concept.
1.6 Significance of the Study
This study is about application of marketing in Nigeria banking industry. It also helps the public, especially the depositors to know the banks that are “sound” so as to avoid risking their earned money to bank that are under distress, and the investors in the industry will also know where to direct their investment. It is also a study to find out whether lack of application of marketing concept can really contribute to business failure.
1.7 Definition of Terms
According to Hart (1931:1) bank or banker is defined as a person or corporation carrying on the business of receiving money and collecting of draft for customers subject to the obligation of honoring cheques drawn upon them from time to time by the customers to the extent of the amount available on their current accounts.
This can be defined as a process of accepting money or deposits from the public and grating of loans.
According to Kotler(1983) it is the management concept that holds the key task of an organization, is to determine the need, want and adopt the organization to delivering the desired satisfaction more effectively and efficiently than its competitors need a human need is a state of fact depreciation in a person. They include basic physical need for knowledge and self-expression (Kotler 1980) maintains that went are desired for specific satisfaction of the needs as those separately identifiable, essentially intangible actives that produce want satisfaction and that are not necessary tied to the sale of produce or another services.
Can be defines as anything that can be offered to a market or for attention, acquisition, user or consumption, and which might satisfy a want or need according to Kotler Philip 91999: 238).
Can be defined as any arrangement where buyers and sellers meet together to exchange goods and services.
Can be defined as a marketing strategy that involves dividing abroad target market into subsets of consumers who have needs and application for the relevant goods and services.
Refer to intangible offers in the market place.
Refers to a term used to describe the combination of tactics use by a business to achieve its objectives of marketing its products or services effectively to a particular target customer group.
Can be defined as any organized effort together information about market or customers.
Can be defined as a person or group of people that are the final users of products and services generated within a social system.
Can be defined as any paid form of non-personal presentation and promotion of ideas, goods or services by an identifiable sponsor to create awareness, inform, educate and persuade their target audience to make a purchase.
Can be defined according to Kotler Philip 92002: 4-04) as a name, sign, symbol or design, or a combination of them, intended to identify the goods or services of one sellers or group of seller and to different late them from those of competitors.
Can be defined as a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization or other legal entity to identify for consumers that the product or services on or with which the trademark appears originate from unique sources designated for a specific market and to distinguish its product or services from those of others entities.
Can be defined as an extension of your bank which includes everything with your logo or contact information.
1.8 Organization of Study
The study comprises of 5 chapters. In chapter one, the concepts are introduced and the problem of the study is established with the research objectives and questions. Chapter two presents the literature review while chapter three presents the research methodology. The fourth chapter presents the results and discussion, and the last chapter presents the conclusion and recommendation.
5.0 Conclusion and Recommendation
From the foregoing summary of findings and based on the operation of zenith bank plc Owerri the researcher found out that there is proper application of marketing concept in zenith bank plc. More so, based on the effective application of marketing concept, zenith bank cannot operate profitably and that zenith bank is in existence to date because of proper application of market concept, meaning that they try all their possible best to ensure their customers satisfaction.
Based on the findings made through the questionnaire and personal interviews the following recommendations are made for both zenith bank and other banks at large.
- Business environment is not static but dynamic it is changing from time to time so zenith bank and other banks should monitor the environment from time to time to know the changes. This could be achieved through the used of research and development and management information system effectively. The tools they would use, adapt to this change is the marketing mix, which includes their product, price, promotion and place (distribution).
- Bank that are still lacking behind in the area of marketing should embrace it by establishing the department separately and equipped with the human and martial resources for effective and efficient execution of marketing activities
- We all know that service oriented and customers are the determinants of their existence, so bank should improve in their services to satisfy their customers to encourage repeat of patronage. Customers should be involved in their product development.
- From the analysis, the research found out that customers do not always apply for loans, may be as a result of collateral, so bank should reduce the condition for loan to enable the customers benefit from credit facilities.
- Despite the fact that Zenith Bank are now into e-marketing they should try to make sure that they introduce within time.
- Branches should be established in the rural areas as in the case of Imo State to enable potential and actual customers who are living there to enjoy their services.
- They should do well to provide on the job training to their workers (staff) so that they will meet the current customers services trend.
- Zenith bank should apply all the promotional tools, so as to keep the actual and potential customers aware of their existence and their new products.
- Finally all banks should ensure that all personals (staff) are marketing oriented to be able to attain to customers at their different point of need.
Effect Of Marketing Concepts On The Growth Of Banking Industry (A Case Study Of Zenith Bank Plc)
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | +234-8143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Effect Of Marketing Concepts On The Growth Of Banking Industry (A Case Study Of Zenith Bank Plc)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | T & C Apply
You may also like:
This research material “Effect Of Marketing Concepts On The Growth Of Banking Industry (A Case Study Of Zenith Bank Plc)” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Effect Of Marketing Concepts On The Growth Of Banking Industry (A Case Study Of Zenith Bank Plc)” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.