The Effect Of Insurance Industry In Promoting Banking Services In Nigeria (A Case Of Skye Bank Enugu)
The aim of this research study is to identify the effect of insurance industry in promoting banking services in Nigeria. (A study of Skye Bank Enugu Metropolis). The objectives of this research work is to examine and analyze the success of banking business in Nigeria and the roles insurance sector play in promoting their services and also to identify the various problems and challenges facing Nigeria banks.
The Related literature review of this work include; The historical background of skye bank Nigeria . For a successful completion of this research work, the researcher made use of both primary and secondary methods of data collection of information gathering. Primary data were collected through questionnaire, administration, oral interview, and personal observations. Secondary data were collected through journals, textbooks, lectures, notebooks and internet. The data collected were presented in table and analyzed with simple percentage while the hypothesis stated were tested with chi-square.
The summary of findings made by the researcher include the following: it was discovered that insurance industry has positively influenced the services of Nigeria banking industry. In conclusion, the future and success of Nigeria banks lies mainly in the hands of insurance industry; therefore, Nigeria banks needs insurance industry to survive. The researcher recommends that Nigeria government should support the activities of insurance industry in order to boost the effectiveness of Nigeria banking services.
Table Of Contents.
- Title page i
- Approval page ii
- Dedication iii
- Acknowledgment iv
- Abstract v
- 1.1 Background Of The study 1
- 1.2 Statement of problem 4
- 1.3 Objectives of the study 5
- 1.4 Research Questions 5
- 1.5 Research hypothesis 6
- 1.6 Significance of the study 7
- 1.7 Scope and limitations of study 8
- 1.8 Definition of operational terms 9
- Reference 16
- Review Of Related Literature.
- 2.1 An overview 17
- 2.2 Historical background of Skye Bank Nigeria. 19
- 2.3 Immediate causes of bank failure in Nigeria 21
- 2.4 Factors affecting Nigeria banking system 24
- 2.5 Fraudulent attitude believe 25
- 2.6 Social influence 26
- 2.7 High rate of illiteracy in the society 26
- 2.8 Nigeria deposit insurance corporation (NDIC) policies towards bank development 27
- 2.9 Roles of insurance industry in promoting services 29
- 2.10 General effect on insurance activities in Nigeria banking services 33
- Research Methodology And Design.
- 3.1 An overview 37
- 3.2. Source of data 37
- 3.2.1 Primary data 38
- 3.2.2 Secondary data 38
- 3.3 Population of the study 39
- 3.4 Sample size 39
- 3.3 Instrument used in determining the sample size 40
- 3.6 Validity of the instrument used 41
- 3.7 Method of data presentation and analysis 42
- Data Representation And Analysis
- 4.1 An overview 44
- 4.2 Data representation and analysis 44
- 4.3 Testing of hypothesis 59
- Summary Of Findings, Conclusions And Recommendations
- 5.1 Summary of findings 65
- 5.2 Conclusions 66
- 5.3 Recommendation 67
- Bibliography 69
- Appendix 70
- Questionnaires 71
1.1 Background Of The Study
Nigeria as a developing country has been grappling with the realities of development process, not only politically and socially but also economically. Since economic development is perceived as a multi-dimensional process, it requires not only capital and technology but also attitude and the creation of the institutional structures. It also includes special protection of the financial institutions.
The banking system has thus been singled out for this special protection because of the vital roles banks play in an economy especially in the process of economic development. According to C. Arthur Williams jr (1992), the establishment of insurance protection and cover through Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) was informed by economic circumstances and by a number of other considerations. The economic circumstances involved the new economic policy of government, the bitter experience of prior bank failures in Nigeria and the lessons from other countries with bank deposit insurance scheme.
The distress in the banking system often precipitate other crises and this has necessitated regulatory and supervisory authorities to take a series of actions and intervention in response to these problems.
The emergency of Nigeria Deposit Insurance corporation into financial sector of the Nigeria economy was borne out of necessity and need to check the incessant rise and fall of indigenous banks, Thus, the objectives of the Nigeria Deposit Insurance corporation are to protect bank depositors, ensure stability in the industry, encourage healthy competition among banks at foster, informed risk taking by insured institution, grant financial assistance to banks experiencing difficulties among others.
Insurance industry also stand as a risk transfer mechanism that can also provide cover and protection to some certain uncertainties that can negatively affect Nigeria banking services. According to J.O Irukwu (1999), Insurance cover risks like:
- Loss of building and contents to fire and special perils
- Loss of cash-in-transit and cash-in-safe
- Loss or break down of computers and other business machines
- Loss due to infidelity of employees
- Loss due to bad debts
- Theft in the business premises
- Loss of key employees
- Loss due to professional negligence
The researcher in this research work was prompted by the curiosity to know the challenges facing Nigeria banking and how much insurance industry has contributed to tackle and solve those challenges.
1.2 Statement Of Problems.
The under listed problems are what led to this research:
- Liquidation of banks
- Weakness of internal control
- Inconsistency in monetary and banking policy
- Fraudulent and unprofessional conduct of bank staff, depositors and customers
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
- To determine the effect of insurance industry on bank liquidation in Nigeria.
- To evaluate the extent of weakness of internal control system in Nigerian banking industry.
- To examine the impact of inconsistency in monetary and banking policy.
The complete material will be sent to you in just 2 steps.
Quick & Simple…
Make payment of ₦3,000: through USSD Transfer, Bank Mobile App, ATM Transfer, or POS Transfer to:
- 0811003731, Access Bank, Samphina Academy
Or Click Here to pay with Debit Card
FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:
Click Here to pay with Debit Card ($15)
Send the following details through Text Message or WhatsApp Messenger | 08143831497
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Effect Of Insurance Industry In Promoting Banking Services In Nigeria (A Case Of Skye Bank Enugu)
The complete material will be sent to your email address after receiving your payment information | Terms and Conditions Apply
You may also like:
All the research materials on this website are ONLY for research purposes and should be used as guidelines in developing your research or project works. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing these materials is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng will only provide papers as a reference for your research. The papers ordered and produced should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of the papers should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own project. It is the aim of samphina.com.ng to only provide guidance by which the paper should be pursued. Use it as a guidance purpose only.