Effect Of Filing System On Organizational Productivity (Case Study Of Nestle Plc Agbara)
This study intends to look at “the effect of filing system on organizational productivity using a case study of Nestle PLC Agbara, Lagos state”. Specifically, the study investigated the concepts, process, types, theories, and factors affecting office manager’s productivity. A population of 120 employees comprising of executives and office professionals drawn from the organizations under study formed the respondents of the study. Questionnaires being a more reliable instrument for data collection were used to collect data from the respondents. Some recommendations were made from the findings from the research revealed that organizations should train their staffs on the nitty-gritty of record management the findings also recommended that organizations should try and equip and update their record management department. Summary and conclusion were made based on the findings.
Table Of Contents
- Title Page
- Table of Content
- 1.1 Background Of Study
- 1.2 Statement Of The Problem
- 1.3 Objective Of The Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Significance Of The Study
- 1.6 Scope Of The Study
- 1.7 Limitation Of The Study
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Concept Of Record Management
- 2.2 Method Of Record Management: Filing System
- 2.3 Record Management And Organizational Productivity
- 2.4 Impact Of Record Management On Office Manager’s Efficiency
- 2.5 Strategies For Enhancing Efficient Record Management
3.0 Research Methodology
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Area Of The Study
- 3.3 Population Of The Study
- 3.4 Sample Size And Sampling Technique
- 3.5 Instruments For Data Collection
- 3.6 Methods For Data Collection
- 3.7 Validation Of The Instrument
- 3.8 Administration Of The Instrument
- 3.9 Data Analysis Technique
4.0 Results And Discussion
- 4.1 Results
- 4.2 Discussion
5.0 Conclusion And Recommendations
- 5.1 Conclusion
- 5.2 Recommendations
1.1 Background Of Study
The ability of any office manager to keep and preserve its organizational records properly determines the success of that organization. According to Harding (1990) record keeping entails the processing, arranging and storing of records so that they can be located when required.
Records are very important to the organization; there-by the adherence to the strict rules governing the keeping of it by the officer or staff in charge in an organization is important. According to Reinhold and Carl (1963) the secret behind a successful organization is record keeping.
Record keeping refers to the keeping in safe custody all document in the office. Azuka (1990) defines Record keeping as a systematic arrangement and keeping of business correspondence and Record so that they may be found and delivered when needed for future reference. Any organization where records of transactions are not kept stand a great chance of collapsing.
Organization be it traditional or modern do have a role to play before their goals could be achieved. The realization of these goals depend heavily on the ability of the office manager to discharge his roles decisively and extensively. It is not out of place to conclude that record management constitute a fundamental part of the activities of all office managers; which must be pursued rigorously to provide promising solution to storage and retrieval problems.
Record Keeping originates from early men who wrote on stones and waves in causes for the future. These records were in form of drawing and writing of languages on the walls.
Civilization brought about the inventions of writing on paper as a better means of living and keeping of information. The urge to keep these records safe from destruction brought about the need to create storage equipment, which will safeguard these documents from being destroyed. So different form of record management were developed from the simple method of storage to the sophisticated method, from simple auxiliary filing of record to the more advanced micro filing of record.
Record management is very essential, most organizational managers depend on records, whether in Private or Government offices where invoice, teller, memorandum, report, cheques, vouchers, and so many other things are found for decision making and other managerial responsibilities. These records are stored under different heading and kept for further usage. The act of record keeping is usually referred to as filing and is mainly used to educate and pass on this information to those who need it.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
Despite the overwhelming benefit from record keeping in the organization, managers are still finding it difficult to record properly. Many managers are yet to keep pace with the challenges posed by improper record management in the organization. This consequently has resulted to loss in terms of money, time and energy. The time taken when searching for a file or document can result into loss of hours and cause set back to the organization. Therefore, the need to keep proper record by managers will not only save time but also save cost to the organization. It is based on this premise that the researchers seek to carry out this study.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The general objective of the study is to find out the effect of filing system on organizational productivity using a case study of Nestle PLC Agbara, Lagos state.
Specifically, the study intends to find out the following:
- To determine how filing system of record management affect the organizational productivity.
- To find out how filing system of records management affect office managers efficiency.
- To find out whether the filing system of records management contributes to saving of labour, cost and time of the office manager.
- To ascertain the strategies for proper filing system of that brings about efficiency.
1.4 Research Questions
The following research questions were formulated to guide the study:
- How does filing system of record management affect organizational productivity?
- How does filing system of record management affect office manager efficiency?
- How does filing system of records management contributes to saving of labour, cost and time of the office manager?
- What are the strategies of filing system of that brings about efficiency in the system?
1.5 Significance Of The Study
This study would be of immense benefit to office managers, student and future research alike.
The office managers will benefit much from this study as the findings in this study would provide them with information on how to put records into files and store properly for easy retrieval.
The findings in the study would provide information to clerical staffs on how to store information into files, folders and then cabinets for easy retrieval and movement of correspondence and easy identification.
Students would benefit from the findings of this research work as they would be used for reference proposes.
1.6 Scope Of The Study
This research work covers the various records keeping method and filing equipment used for proper record management other areas. It was carried out to find out the effect of filing system on organizational productivity using a case study of Nestle PLC Agbara, Lagos state.
1.7 Limitation Of The Study
First, time was not in favour of the study as the entire work was undertaken alongside other academic activities. Secondly, the researchers suffered during the collection of data as many call-backs where made before a sizeable number of questionnaires were collected back for analysis.
Furthermore, finance was another obstacle during the course of this research work because there was insufficient money available for typing of questionnaires; photocopying, sourcing for materials through the internet and transporting to enable the researchers move around during the course of this study. Lastly, the researchers could not get hold of sufficient research materials in relation to the topic in order to cover a wider area of the study.
5.0 Conclusion And Recommendations
This project investigated the effect of filing system on organizational productivity using a case study of Nestle PLC Agbara, Lagos state. Related literatures were review to form the theoretical bases for the study. A sample of 120 was used for the study. Four research questions were drawn to guide the investigation while the data collected were drawn, tabulated, analyzed and interpreted with the aid of frequency and simple mean score. The study revealed that records provide evidence in the court of law as well as aiding executives in making good decisions.
The study also revealed that record management enable easy location of document and prevent losing of essential documents. Furthermore, the study revealed that, with record management, it is easy to know the organizational problems even without too much research or setting of committees. It also makes information available within a very short time which saves cost. Finally, the study revealed that office managers should be equipped with modern technology facilities and as well increase storage facilities to enhance the efficiency of filing system and record management.
Based on the data analyzed from the findings of the study the following conclusions where arrived at;
- There is a link between organizational productivity and proper record management as proper record provides evidence in the court of law and also leads to proper appropriation of funds the researchers also concluded that proper record management aids executives in making decisions.
- The findings also conclude that proper record management affects office manager’s efficiency by enabling the office manager’s ability to keep confidential documents and also prevents misappropriation of funds.
- The findings conclude that as a result of proper record management, organizations time cost and labour is saved because proper record management leads to the achievement of setting goals as well as make information available within a very short time.
- Finally, the researchers however concluded that record management brings about efficiency in the system and advised organizations lay more emphasis on proper record management and always update their record management department
The following recommendations have been put forward to enhance record management in the organization.
- Since the world has entered the computer age it is necessary that record management in the organization should be computerized therefore computers should be acquired for use in every office so that records can easily be retrieved when the need arises.
- Organizations should train their staffs on the nitty gritty of record management.
- Organizations should give more emphasis on proper record to achieve its plan and increase productivity.
- Organizations should try and equip and update their record departments to enhance smooth operations.
- All staffs involved in record management the executives and their office professionals should be properly trained on a modern (contemporary) record management and keeping. Workshops seminars and short courses can be used to do the training.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Effect Of Filing System On Organizational Productivity (Case Study Of Nestle Plc Agbara)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply