The Effect Of Custom And Excise Service On Importation To Nigeria Economic Development
This study is on effect of custom and excise service on importation to Nigeria economic development. The total population for the study is 200 staff of Nigeria custom service, Ibadan, Oyo state. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made human resource managers, tariff and trade officers, senior officers and junior officers were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
1.1 Background of the Study
The country’s level of development is highly measured by the level of economic buoyancy which can be predetermining by the importation and exportation sector in the economy. Emphasis are laid on the fact that the existence of the international trade encourage the law of comparative advantage which aid specialization of one country over other at word market. Consequence upon this, the existence of custom and excise service emerged, in Nigeria its impart cannot be over emphasized in the whole country. The effect of custom and excise service on importation to Nigeria economic development, is an important issue, every state or nation aspire to improve the standard of living of the masses a lot of money has been spent on custom service on administration and recruiting purpose for developing the economy in the different nations and world over for thorough scrutinizing and efficient checks on the goods imported. Before the discovery of oil in Nigeria about 75% of total revenue, generation in Nigeria came from custom duties, the remaining 25% of the total revenue were from stamp duties, court fines liquor license, direct taxation, export of cash crop, e.t.c. as a result of the department, smuggling was highly suppressed due to the collection of custom and excise duties as well as taxes to meet up with the day to day running of the government administration and providing social amenities for the people many people tend to over overestimate the importance of custom service because of its greater visibility over the Nigeria economy. The Nigeria custom service has it effect on the imported. Stamping out of contraband or smuggled goods is another prominent role of custom because the Nigeria service also protects the manufacturers and their goods in Nigeria market.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Research study is concerned with finding solution to problem, a problem generally is seen as a c condition affecting the majority of people or organization adversely about which something must be done through corrective action or remidia action. A research problem is an interrogative statement that ask what relationship exist between two or more variables, therefore a good research problem must be easily convertible into an hypothesis if a research problem is to be scientifically reliable e.g. what is the effect of excise charges on the performance of custom officers.
The problem in this study shall critically examine the effect of customs and excise service on the importation of goods to Nigeria economic, major attempts would be made on who are the customs official reason for their existence meaning of international trade, meaning of imports.
Furthermore, the under listed points one to be consider.
- Personal interest and exposure
- Financial constraints, this often put limit on our enquiring imitative
- Time: this is always a scarce resource and when doing a serious work it flies
- Non-availability of social amenities to the custom officers
- Government attitudes to the customs sectors
- Equipment availability to customs officers
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main objective of this project is to make us know or understand their aims and imparts of customs and excise service on the Nigeria economy.
This study shall critically examine the following
- Consider the need for the existence of the customs and excise service
- Major contribution of the custom and excise service to the economy of Nigeria.
- Examine their impacts, and on the social economic development of the country.
- Also, to know the effect of customs and excise service on importation of goods in the country.
- Project into the futures, the perceive prospect of customs and excise service in relation to economic development in the country.
1.4 Research Questions
- What are the government policies that are not effectively implemented in relation on to customs and excise service on the importation of goods into the country?
- What is concealment? It is impact on the importation of goods
- What is the different between importations of goods to the country?
- What is corruption in customs? All these problems would be took into and proper solution would be provided to perform their duty very well so as to help customs service and to assist Nigeria as a whole in order to develop the importation sector
1.5 Research Hypotheses
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
- H0: The customs and excise service does not have impact on Nigeria economic development
H1: The customs and excise service does have impact on Nigeria economic development
- H02: Customs and excise service does not have effect on importation of goods to Nigeria economic development
H2: Customs and excise service does have effect on importation of goods to Nigeria economic development
1.5 Significance of the Study
This study will be relevant to the organization in question in any economy the custom officials would be critically have to be aware of and effectively utilize a variety of techniques and still, relevance will be made to the related government agencies, industries, manufacturers, e.t.c. that deals mainly with the importation of goods and society. The research on this study will lay emphasis on the importance of customs and excise services to the economy in which its impact is generally felt by the masses, government industries and manufacturers. Also, it will enable the reader to know how effective and efficient the way customs perform their duties in checking the rate of dumping and smuggling of the contraband goods into and outside the country and what factor can facilitates positive effect of inspection to enhance positive result in the country. In conclusion, the finding in this project will assist in increasing the knowledge of both the researcher and the readers and will enable us to assert confidently the important role of customs and excise service in the economy and especially in the Nigeria importation sector
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Study
Basically, the area to be covered in this project work is mainly centred on the Nigeria custom services (NCS) but considering the broad network of the case study Nigeria custom services Ibadan, Oyo state. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) Availability of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
c) Organizational Privacy:
Limited Access to the selected auditing firm makes it difficult to get all the necessary and required information concerning the activities
1.6 Definitions of Terms
Some of the terms used in the study are generally understood (i.e. specialised) meaning. However, certain other term have contextual meaning this are:
This is also called foreign or external trade that exist between one country and another or between the people of our country and the people of another country.
Law of Comparative Advantages:
This is the principle that state that a country should specialise in a production of goods and services that has a greater advantages over other.
This is an act of bringing goods and services into the country. We have both the visible and invisible imports.
This is an act of selling goods and services outside the country to other country of the world like import; we have visible and invisible goods and services.
These are either valuable asset which can be tangible or intangible.
Oxford advanced dictionary defined economy as the community’s system of wealth creation.
Table of fixed charges or duty on a particular class of goods, which are collected by customs officials.
Is an or and give details of goods required by the intending purchaser.
Is a request to the shipping company to transport the goods specified at a stated time and to a named destination.
Calling forward note:
This is the note that states that goods require at a dock to be loaded on the vessel named in the document.
This is the document that lists the charges for carrying goods and the shipping companies will issues a bill of ladding on receiving the amount stated on the freight note.
1.8 Organization of the Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain the effect of custom and excise service on importation to Nigeria economic development. In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations made which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefits in addressing the challenges of the effect of custom and excise service on importation to Nigeria economic development
This study was on the effect of custom and excise service on importation to Nigeria economic development. Four objectives were raised which included: Major contribution of the custom and excise service to the economy of Nigeria, examine their impacts, and on the social economic development of the country, also, to know the effect of customs and excise service on importation of goods in the country, project into the futures, the perceive prospect of customs and excise service in relation to economic development in the country. In line with these objectives, two research hypotheses were formulated and two null hypotheses were posited. The total population for the study is 200 staff of Nigeria custom service, Ibadan, Oyo state. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made human resource managers, tariff and trade officers, senior officers and junior officers were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
There is no doubt of the fact that Nigeria‘s current reform drive is underpinned by a strong desire to make the country a major player in the global market, and move away from oil dependent to non-oil sectors as major source of revenue. The reform and policy framework form part of the objective to encourage the production and distribution of goods and services in order to satisfy the domestic and international markets for the purpose of accelerating economic growth. The focus is on exports oriented measure to integrate Nigeria into the global market. If the reform in Nigeria Customs Services is fully implemented and the operational procedures are complied with by the operators, all revenue due to the government will be accounted for and enhance non-oil revenue. To be in the league of developed and industrialized nations that achieve sustainable growth, Nigeria needs to diversify from mono product economy of oil to non-oil based economy
- The government needs to re-orientate the Nigeria Customs Service to improve their skills and knowledge in the working of the revenue authority beyond the specific skills and knowledge required to work in customs. This will bring more creativity on the need for effectiveness and efficiency in the collection and remittance of revenue to the federation account.
- The Nigeria Customs Services reforms need to be fully implemented so that various loopholes that have served as conduit pipe for free outflow of revenue to individuals can be blocked. The reforms will help to eradicate tax evasion and tax avoidance by importers and entrepreneurs. Nigeria is losing a large amount of money through tax evasion and avoidance which have been made possible by the conspiracy of the staff of the services with the importers and smugglers
Complete Material For The Effect Of Custom And Excise Service On Importation To Nigeria Economic Development
The Complete Material will be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make a Mobile Transfer or POS Payment of ₦3,000 to any of the Account Below
|Account No.: 0811003731|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
|Account No.: 1225513212|
|Name: Samphina Academy|
|Account Type: Current|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card ($15)|
|GHANA – Make Payment of 60 GHS to MTN MoMo, 0553978005, Douglas Osabutey|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- The Effect Of Custom And Excise Service On Importation To Nigeria Economic Development
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
This research material “The Effect Of Custom And Excise Service On Importation To Nigeria Economic Development” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “The Effect Of Custom And Excise Service On Importation To Nigeria Economic Development” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.