Effect Of Corporate Social Responsibility On Organization Survival
The topic of this research work is “the effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on organization survival”, a case study of Prudent Energy Oghareki. Research design was a descriptive survey, 66 respondents was sampled, chi-square was used to analyze the data. The findings is that there is no significant relationship between community satisfaction and the company’s social responsibility programmes. It is recommended that Prudent Energy should engage only in necessary Corporate Social Responsibility such as buildings, provision of water, health care programmes, etc.
1.1 Background of the Study
Corporate Social Responsibility is the responsibility of an organization for the impact of it decisions and activities on society and environment through transparent and ethical behavior. Corporate Social Responsibility focus on what an organization does that affect the society in which it exist. Main Munah (2007) state that Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR): refers to strategies cooperation or firms conduct their business in a way that is ethically, society friendly and beneficial to community in terms of environment. Corporate Social Responsibility of an organization of an organizations survival has been a subject of study and debate both in academics and business sector respectively. As the society have goals so are firms dwelling in it. It is therefore born out of logical assumption because the firm is a creation of society. It has a responsibility in the accomplishment of the society. The better the accomplishment of these goals the longer such firm will survive in the society. The tides of social responsibility presuppose that industries have not only economic and legal obligations but also certain responsibility that extend to society and beyond. Social responsibility simply means the obligation of decision makers in a cooperation to take actions with project and improve the welfare of the society along with their own interest.
The cooperation being talked about here includes public and private owned enterprises. However many firms and cooperation in Nigeria are concern with only making profit and maximizing profit. They forget that firm needs the understanding and support of society which constitute their customers for survival, this therefore presupposes that for an organization to remain in operation it should embark on activities that will improve or bring about development for the society thereby improving its public image. The activities being talked about here include but not limited to provision of jobs, paying taxes, contributing to community cleaning and preserving the ecological purity of the area. The present study uses Prudent Energy Ogharaki, Delta state Nigeria as case study to determine the extent of corporate social responsive image which the company has created in the minds of the people if any and to find out if the responsive image created has in any way contributed to the survival of the firm throughout the years of stay in the locality.
1.2 Statement of Problem
Evidence about relationship between Corporate Social Responsibility and organization survival is normal. In spite of the existing of some literature about the role of Corporate Social Responsibility in the aspect of environment and society, there is a significant gap about how Corporate Social Responsibility contribute to the survival of an organization. Due to lack of documented evidence of the effect, hence, the researchers interest was to find out and document the effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on the survival of Prudent Energy Oghareki, Delta state Nigeria.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The general objective of this study is to identify and examine the effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on the survival of Prudent Energy Oghareki.
The study also have the following specific objectives.
- To state the benefit derived by staffs and host community for social responsibility project.
- To state and analyze if any of the community development projects provided by the organization.
- Identify the reason for prudent energy’s involvement in social responsibility.
- To recommend to the organization management important options required for the satisfactory implementation of social commitment to relationship between the firm and community.
1.4 Research Questions
- Do Prudent Energy Oghareki identify the need of the community before applying for social responsibility?
- Do individuals in the host community benefit positively from prudent energy?
- Does the social responsibility of prudent energy contribute to its survival in the community?
- Has social responsibility of prudent energy to the community increased their productivity and safety?
1.5 Research Hypothesis
Since the study is based on the effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on organization survival, research hypothesis is applied and questionnaires are design to test the test the hypothesis.
- Ho: There is no significant relationship between corporate social relationship and organization survival.
- H1: There is a significant relationship between corporate social relationship and organization survival.
- Ho: There is no significant relationship between community satisfaction and the company’s social responsibility programmes.
- H1: There is a significant relationship between community satisfaction and the company’s social responsibility programmes.
1.6 Significance of Study
The study is significant in a number of ways. It brings to limelight the significance of Corporate Social Responsibility on the survival of an organization. Further, the research is of great value to Prudent Energy Oghareki on the bases upon which the embark on project deployment and how those project contribute to their continual survival. The study also contribute to the growing body of knowledge, in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility and it is our hope that researchers who wish to carry out further investigation in area of scholarship use this as a point of reference.
1.7 Scope of the Study
This study focuses only on Corporate Social Responsibility from a global perspective, looking at its objective and effects on organizational survival. Out of the many firms that exist in the locality, Prudent Energy Oghareki was selected as a case study in this research.
1.8 Definition of Terms
The following terms are defined as used in the study.
1. Corporate Social Responsibility:
This is what an organization does to influence the society in which it exist, such as through voluntary assistance programs.
2. Charity principles:
The doctrines of social responsibility requiring fortunate individuals to assist the less fortunate members of the community.
3. Organizational survival:
Successful organizations are those that are capable of achieving their goals and objectives overtime. Organization survival therefore means the continual improvement on organizational performance and survival.
Summary, Conclusions and Recommendations:
This chapter summarizes the findings on “the effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on organization survival”, a case study of Prudent Energy Oghareki. The chapter consists of summary of the study, conclusions, and recommendations.
5.2 Summary of the Study
In this study, our focus was on “the effect of Corporate Social Responsibility on organization survival”, a case study of Prudent Energy Oghareki. The study is was specifically focused on examining the benefit derived by staffs and host community for social responsibility project; stating and analyzing if any of the community development projects provided by the organization; Identifying the reason for prudent energy’s involvement in social responsibility and recommending to the organization management important options required for the satisfactory implementation of social commitment to relationship between the firm and community
The study adopted the survey research design and randomly enrolled participants in the study. A total of 100 responses were validated from the enrolled participants where all respondent are staff of Prudent Energy Oghareki.
With respect to the analysis and the findings of this study, the following conclusions emerged;
Nigeria Corporate Organisation have to a large extent been involved in execution of social responsibility programme is a bid to be socially responsible.
In this regard, corporate organizations have generally satisfied social expectations. Programmes undertaken consist meanly of providing cheap goods and services and profit meaning. Very few organizations have involved themselves in activities as moral issues anti corruption and anticrime crusades. Instead they concentrated on the provision of cheap quality goods and services and profit making.
This however, is not sufficient corporate organisation should as a matter of importance began to engage more in pollution control emanating from industrial toxic wastes of all kinds. Carrying out research studies especially into economic matters is not left out. This is important because it is a means of exposing business opportunities. It is necessary also because of the increasing awareness and sophistication of the Nigerian population. Business organization must be ready to more than ever to be able to gauge society expectations. Corporate organisation should not, however, get carried away by the virtue of being socially responsible. It is a truism that business can play an important role in the non-economic sphere but, this can be better achieved if business organisation do not forget the primes and original aim of business performance should equally extend it’s tentacles to solving social problems.
Based on the findings the researcher recommends that;
- Nigeria firms especially the smaller one should change their present attitude and become are involved in social issues, because times are changing and opinions are equally changing especially as more people get educated, demand for them to get involve will also increase.
- In getting involved in social issues, the firms should not forget the original and major aim of the business by ensuring its growth and prosperity. In making decision on social responsibility, economic efficiency should be the watch word.
- Business has to develop a code of ethics. This becomes essential when one considers what respondents say in the affirmative about the decision of business pertaining the issues of social responsibility.
- Business organizations are creatures of society; therefore, they should reciprocate by being socially responsible to the society because, it is normal and right thing to do.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Effect Of Corporate Social Responsibility On Organization Survival
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply