Effect Of Adequate Use Of Audio And Visual Aids In The Teaching And Learning Of Social Studies In Some Selected Secondary Schools In Oredo Local Government Area, Edo State
This study is on the effect of adequate use of audio and visual aids in the teaching and learning of social studies in some selected secondary schools. The total population for the study is 200 staff of selected secondary schools in Oredo local government of Edo state. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up principals, vice principals adm, senior staff and junior staffs were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
1.1 Background of the Study
Audio and visual materials like radio, projector, chalkboard etc play a very important role in teaching/learning of social studies. These instructional materials came into existence when an exhibition was held in Austria. In the exhibition home schools from USA attended the exhibition where they displayed different forms of audio and visual materials even audio visual materials were also presented. Some of them were Radio, cassette, blackboard (wooden), Graph, Television, Charts and numerous posters to educate people that attended the exhibition. (Akolo, 2000)
As a result of the exhibition held the importance of the use of audio and visual media came into being for effective teaching and learning back in USA people started forming different association such as motion picture and these associations helped in distributing instructional materials all over USA and also propagated education.
The aims of introducing these materials by the school of throughout in Austria and those that attended the conference as to bring about effective teaching and learning process. Under education policy, schools were required to use different forms of instructional materials to facilitate learning, but these schools ended up not using term.
This was in 1995 when the colonial government a commission to consider the possibility of using radio and television in teaching and learning process. In the report of the commission, it was recommended that the materials (audio and visual aids) should be used.
In 1957, the first educational media was introduced and also in 1959 television was used in enhancing effecting teaching/learning.
Based on the above recommended, audio and visual materials or aid can be seen as an observable measure and capable of improving learning outcome. From the write of there, an economic teaching should try to improvise teaching aids in their schools, and also make appropriate use of instructional materials (audio and visual) in teaching-learning of social studies in different schools.
1.2 Statement of the Problems
For successful survey there is need to focus attention on the following problems;
- How does the type of teacher trained or untrained affect the use of audio and visual aid?
- Is the quantity and quality of instructional materials (audio and visual) in the school affecting the effective teaching of the subject?
- Are the teachers using the available instructional aids adequately?
- The community and the government aware of the importance of teaching materials in the teaching of various subjects in Oredo Local Government Area?
- Is there proper maintenance in terms of repairing and servicing fo the audio and visual materials available?
1.3 Objective of the Study
The main objectives of this research is to therefore to highlighting the effect of the use of audio and visual materials in the teaching and learning of economic in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State, to this end the following sub-objectives will be examined;
- The place of audio and visual materials in teaching and learning in schools.
- To take to look at the use of audio and visual materials in schools.
- To proffer solutions to the problem facing the use of audio and visual aid/materials
1.4 Research Hypotheses
- H0: there is unavailability of adequate instructional materials (audio and visual) affecting students’ performance in social studies
- H1: there is availability of adequate instructional materials (audio and visual) affecting students’ performance in social studies
- H0: there is no use of audio and visual aids also affect understanding of social studies
- H1: there is use of audio and visual aids also affect understanding of social studies
1.5 Significance of the Study
The benefit could be derived from the outcome of this investigation are as fellow; it is envisaged that the findings will be of use to social studies teachers, school, supervisors, principals government policy maker and all those who are interested in social studies as a branch of art. It is also hoped that it will contribute towards better academic performance in social studies in secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State.
Finally, it will also help social studies teachers in Oredo Local Government Area to improve on the poor usage of audio and visual aids in the teaching/learning of social studies
1.6 Scope and Limitation of the Study
In a study of this nature in wide geographical coverage will be good enough for the study but due to financial factors, limited time, transportation, the study will be restricted to four selected secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State and these includes; New Era College, Benin City, Edokpolor Grammar School, Benin City, Emotan College, Benin City and Eghosa Grammar School, Benin City. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) Availability of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
1.7 Definition of Terms
Audio equipment refers to devices that reproduce, record, or process sound. This includes microphones, radio receivers, AV receivers, CD players, tape recorders, amplifiers, mixing consoles, effects units, and loudspeakers
An item of illustrative matter, such as a film, slide, or model, designed to supplement written or spoken information so that it can be understood more easily.
Teaching is an instruction or delivering a particular skill or subject or something that someone tells you to do. For Teaching in this case may refer to showing or explaining to a student how to do something. Learn more in: Active Learning with Technology Tools in the Blended/Hybrid Classes
Learning is the process of acquiring new, or modifying existing, knowledge, behaviors, skills, values, or preferences. The ability to learn is possessed by humans, animals, and some machines; there is also evidence for some kind of learning in some plants.
1.8 Organization of the Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain effect of adequate use of audio and visual aids in the teaching and learning of social studies in some selected secondary schools
In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations made which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefits in addressing the challenges of effect of adequate use of audio and visual aids in the teaching and learning of social studies in some selected secondary schools
This study was on effect of adequate use of audio and visual aids in the teaching and learning of social studies in some selected secondary schools. Three objectives were raised which included: The place of audio and visual materials in teaching and learning in schools, to take to look at the use of audio and visual materials in schools, to proffer solutions to the problem facing the use of audio and visual aid/materials. The total population for the study is 200 staff of selected secondary schools in Oredo local government of Edo state. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up principals, vice principals adm, senior staff and junior staffs were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
Based on the findings of this study, the researcher drew the following conclusions;
- It has been shown in this study that instructional materials have significant influence on the performance of the students in their academic work.
- From the findings, it was established that lack of instructional materials and its usage in teaching and learning of social studies made students to perform poorly in their academic work. Since it has been discovered from this findings that lack of instructional materials and its usage in teaching and learning of social studies is the major courses of the students poor performance in their academic work, so the State Ministry of Education, Education Board and the Local Government Education Authorities among other should consider the recommendations below, hence it is agreed that instructional materials plays a significant role in motivating the pupils to learn, interest them in the subject, yield better performance, made practicing teachers to have confidence in whatever concepts they wants to impact to the pupils, so the uses of such materials should be encouraged.
- Teachers/Students should improvise locally made instructional materials using resource from the school environment or raw materials from outside the school environment to be used in teaching of social studies.
- The State Ministry of Education, Education Board and Local Education Authorities should employ competent teachers who can handle the subject very well, because most of the teachers teaching the subject are not qualified.
- Parents should be encouraged to donate money through parent teachers association (PTA) for the provision of instructional materials for teaching and learning in the schools, government alone cannot shoulder all the responsibilities in the schools, there is need for the parents to help in running the schools. The money donated by the parents should be used for the purchasing of teaching aids.
- The production of low cost instructional materials should be intensified by the board. The production of these materials can be of the Resource Centres, local raw materials can be effectively utilized in the production of the needed instructional media. This will reduce the cost of importing materials and equipment which have foreign background and may not serve the need of Nigerians. Any materials and equipment produced locally will be such that have the user’s needs as the focal point. Materials and equipments which could be used in the rural areas where there is no electricity would be produced locally at the resource centres, Thus, the constraints imposed by lack of electricity will be remove.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Effect Of Adequate Use Of Audio And Visual Aids In The Teaching And Learning Of Social Studies In Some Selected Secondary Schools In Oredo Local Government Area, Edo State
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply
List of Related Works
The Statistical Appraisal On The Utilization And Availability Of Instructional Materials For Teaching And Learning Of Mathematics In Secondary Schools (A Case Study Of Oshimili South L.G.A Of Delta State)