E-Marketing And Small Scale Business In Nigeria Threat Or Opportunities
This study is on e-marketing and small scale business in Nigeria: threat or opportunity. The total population for the study is 200 staff of selected SMES in Lagos state. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up managers, secretaries, cashiers and junior staffs were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies.
1.1 Background Of The Study
Small-scale businesses in Nigeria play a very vital role in the development of its economy. Over the years various policies both from the government and some of the private sector actors have been developed to create enabling environments for these small scale businesses to thrive. However the challenges linger. Some of these challenges have been highlighted by many authors to be, poor managerial skill, small capital, wasteful spending by small scale business owners, poor marketing strategies etc. the is not the negligence of the fact that those few SMEs that have thrived over the years have contributed immensely to the growth of Nigeria economy through the following significant ways, utilization of Nigeria’s resources, increase an employment etc. income generation and redistribution etc.
Noteworthy at this point in the fact the small scale business especially in the sub-Saharan region appear to be lagging behind in the global trends with respect to small scale businesses. In Japan for example, small scale businesses now engage an international business due to their ability to create product according the taste of the market and are able use available marketing to ensure they gain and retune a reasonable market share. This has been made possible despite the many obvious and general challenges that is inherent in small scale businesses.
The purpose of this study therefore is to ascertain the current relationship between small-scale businesses in Nigeria and marketing. Also it is to ascertain how e-marketing could be used by small scale businesses in Nigeria to tackle its challenges, survive in the market, and thrive enjoying competitive advantage.
This study also seeks to significantly ascertain how e-marketing is perceived by small scale business and whether how it is perceived and indeed e-marketing is an opportunity or a thereat to the survival and thriving of small scale businesses in Nigeria.
1.2 Statement Of The Research Problem
Having briefly analyzed the state of Nigerian small scale businesses, its challenges and advantages. A question to be asked would be how can small scale businesses apply their resources efficiently and effectively towards business tools that will help produce competitive advantage, improve market share and other benefits. Considering the up growth in the use of technology in the marketing activities of all types of technology in the marketing activities of all types of organization, it is important to ascertain what effect and how e-marketing can be used by small scale business in Nigeria.
E-marketing as a marketing tool could help the small scale business in Nigeria reach a wider local market, make gain through competitive advantage while serving a better part of the market. Also E-marketing gives the small scale business an opportunity to access new export markets.
However, certain questions need to be asked concerning e-marketing with respect to small companies. They are:
- What is the level of awareness of e-marketing to small scale business in Nigeria.
- Also to what extent do these small scale businesses in Nigeria apply e-marketing as a strategic marketing tool.
- How do these small scale business perceive e-marketing and does trend provide an opportunity or a threat.
- Also what are those possible ways through which e-marketing could be used as a modern business tool by small scale businesses in Nigeria.
1.3 Objective Of The Study
The objectives of this study however, are as follows
- To ascertain the level of awareness of e-marketing to small scale business in Nigeria.
- To find out the extent to which small scale businesses in Nigeria are e-marketing driven
- To find out if e-marketing poses threat or creates opportunities for small scale businesses in Nigeria.
- To ascertain possible way through which e-marketing could be used as a modern business tool by small scale businesses in Nigeria.
This study will attempt to significantly answer these questions.
1.4 Research Hypotheses
For the successful completion of the study, the following research hypotheses were formulated by the researcher;
- H0: there is no level of awareness of e-marketing to small scale business in Nigeria
H1: there is level of awareness of e-marketing to small scale business in Nigeria
- H02: there is no extent to which small scale businesses in Nigeria are e-marketing driven
H2: there is an extent to which small scale businesses in Nigeria are e-marketing driven
1.5 Significance Of The Study
This research study is important or relevant in modern business practice in numerous ways. First if we consider the high level of competition in modern day businesses and threats of global economic crisis which have been noticed recently. It is however very crucial for firms to acquire business tools and apply such tools efficiently and effectively so as to create competitive advantage that will enable it make better profit, reduce cost and service more of the market size.
However, some benefits which the authors believe will be gained from this study are briefly highlighted below.
- It should help academic theoretician and practitioners especially small scale business owners on a better understand of e-marketing.
- This better understanding should also be useful to small scale businesses for the efficient and effective application of e-marketing.
- It is also relevant such that it should assist small scale businesses in creating opportunities that give marketing advantage to them.
1.6 Scope And Limitation Of The Study
This study will concentrate on the use of the e-marketing as a modern marketing tool. It’s level of awareness among small scale business managers. Also, the general perception of small scale business manager of e-marketing; and also how small business owners have reacted to the emerging trend of e-marketing as a strategy business tool. The researcher encounters some constrain which limited the scope of the study;
a) Availability Of Research Material:
The research material available to the researcher is insufficient, thereby limiting the study
The time frame allocated to the study does not enhance wider coverage as the researcher has to combine other academic activities and examinations with the study.
1.7 Definition Of Terms
E-marketing is a process of planning and executing the conception, distribution, promotion, and pricing of products and services in a computerized, networked environment, such as the Internet and the World Wide Web, to facilitate exchanges and satisfy customer demands.
Small and medium-sized enterprises or small and medium-sized businesses are businesses whose personnel numbers fall below certain limits. The abbreviation “SME” is used by international organizations such as the World Bank, the United Nations and the World Trade Organization
A statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
A time or set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something.
1.8 Organization Of The Study
This research work is organized in five chapters, for easy understanding, as follows
- Chapter one is concern with the introduction, which consist of the (overview, of the study), historical background, statement of problem, objectives of the study, research hypotheses, significance of the study, scope and limitation of the study, definition of terms and historical background of the study.
- Chapter two highlights the theoretical framework on which the study is based, thus the review of related literature.
- Chapter three deals on the research design and methodology adopted in the study.
- Chapter four concentrate on the data collection and analysis and presentation of finding.
- Chapter five gives summary, conclusion, and recommendations made of the study
Summary, Conclusion And Recommendation
It is important to ascertain that the objective of this study was to ascertain e-marketing and small scale business in Nigeria: threat or opportunity
In the preceding chapter, the relevant data collected for this study were presented, critically analyzed and appropriate interpretation given. In this chapter, certain recommendations made which in the opinion of the researcher will be of benefits in addressing the challenges of e-marketing and small scale business in Nigeria: threat or opportunity
This study was on e-marketing and small scale business in Nigeria: threat or opportunity. Four objectives were raised which included: To ascertain the level of awareness of e-marketing to small scale business in Nigeria, to find out the extent to which small scale businesses in Nigeria are e-marketing driven, to find out if e-marketing poses threat or creates opportunities for small scale businesses in Nigeria, to ascertain possible way through which e-marketing could be used as a modern business tool by small scale businesses in Nigeria. In line with these objectives, two research hypotheses were formulated and two null hypotheses were posited. The total population for the study is 200 staff of selected SMES in Lagos state. The researcher used questionnaires as the instrument for the data collection. Descriptive Survey research design was adopted for this study. A total of 133 respondents made up managers, secretaries, cashiers and junior staffs were used for the study. The data collected were presented in tables and analyzed using simple percentages and frequencies
In the light of the findings of this study, the following conclusions were drawn: the extent of utilization of e-commerce and e-invoicing applications in South Eastern Nigeria is low. There was a significant difference between the mean ratings of SMEs managers on their utilization of e-commerce and e-invoicing as a result of years of experience. Adoption of e-marketing by small business enterprise can change both the shape and nature of its business all over the world. Because the increase usage of the Internet and other electronic marketing channels in electronic transactions might create not only a lot of opportunists for small business enterprises but also can eliminate a lot of its threats.
Based on the findings of this study, the following recommendations are made:
- SMEs owners/managers should be trained by business schools and business consultancy firms on how to use e-marketing applications. The importance of e-marketing should be clearly spelt out for them so that they can acquire the skills to fully integrate into their business operations.
- Nigeria Association of Small and Medium Enterprises (NASME) and other associations at state level should embark on emarketing capacity building to ensure better understanding of e-marketing and the need for its effective utilization by their members. This could be achieved by collaborative efforts with relevant government agencies, educational institutions and private business consultants through the organization of seminars, workshops, conferences and training programmes for both owners of SMEs and their staff.
How To Get The Complete Material For E-Marketing And Small Scale Business In Nigeria Threat Or Opportunities
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “E-Marketing And Small Scale Business In Nigeria Threat Or Opportunities” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “E-Marketing And Small Scale Business In Nigeria Threat Or Opportunities” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.