Drug Abuse Among Youths In Nigeria
This study was carried out to examine drug abuse among youths in Nigeria using Owerri metropolis, Imo State as a case study. The study was carried out to find out the prevalence of drug abuse among youths, ascertain the forms of drugs commonly abused by the youths and investigate the various factors which influences youths indulgence into drug abuse. The survey design was adopted and the simple random sampling techniques were employed in this study. The population size comprised of youth in Owerri metropolis, Imo State. In determining the sample size, the researcher purposefully selected 147 respondents and 141 were validated. Self-constructed and validated questionnaire was used for data collection. The collected and validated questionnaires were analyzed using frequency tables, and mean scores. While the hypotheses was tested chi-square statistical tool. The result of the findings reveals that the prevalence of drug abuse among youths is high. Furthermore, the study revealed that the various factors which influences youths indulgence into drug abuse includes: poor parentage, peer pressure, ease accessibility of the drug, need to experiment (Curiosity), dysfunctional families and high rate of crime. Therefore, it is recommended that there is need for parents to built strong and positive relationship with their children and educate them on the dangers of drugs. To mention but a few.
Table of Content
- Title Page
- Table of Content
- List of Tables
- 1.1 Background of the Study
- 1.2 Statement of the Problem
- 1.3 Objective of the Study
- 1.4 Research Questions
- 1.5 Research Hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the Study
- 1.7 Scope of the Study
- 1.8 Limitation of the Study
- 1.9 Definition of Terms
- 1.10 Organisations of the Study
Review of Literature
- 2.1 Conceptual Framework
- 2.2 Theoretical Framework
- 2.3 Empirical Review
- 3.1 Research Design
- 3.2 Population of the Study
- 3.3 Sample Size Determination
- 3.4 Sample Size Selection Technique and Procedure
- 3.5 Research Instrument and Administration
- 3.6 Method of Data Collection
- 3.7 Method of Data Analysis
- 3.8 Validity of the Study
- 3.9 Reliability of the Study
- 3.10 Ethical Consideration
Data Presentation and Analysis
- 4.1 Data Presentation
- 4.2 Analysis of Data
- 4.3 Answering Research Questions
- 4.4 Test of Hypotheses
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
- 5.1 Summary
- 5.2 Conclusion
- 5.3 Recommendation
1.1 Background of the Study
Various people describe drugs in a variety of ways. By definition, a drug is anything that when consumed by a living organism tends to alter one or a myriad of its functions. Owing to their chemical nature, drugs (legal or illegal) alter body functions, how people think, perceive things or act. These include substances that are useful or harmful to the body. There are numerous ways through which drug administration can be done. There are drugs that are injected, chewed, smoked while others are sniffed. According to Ghodge (2003), drugs are substances that other than those required for the conservation of normal health modify how certain processes within the body of the organism when consumed. On the other hand, in the field of medicine, drugs are considered to be elements that have curative or preventative capabilities against diseases.
It is not uncommon to find people consuming drugs for purposes other than what is recommended or more often than not recommended. Ghodge (2003) contends that drug abuse occurs in instances when drugs are used for non-medical purposes. From a general perspective, substance abuse, also referred to as substance abuse, encompasses the consumption of substances such as tobacco, alcohol or other substances that have no medical value and are more often than not detrimental to one’s health. Another definition of substance focuses on the intake of psychoactive substances so as to alter an individual’s psychological state. However, it is worth noting that this only applies in cases where there is no medical supervision. The continued consumption of drugs eventually leads to a condition referred in medical circles as pathological drug dependence. When an individual reaches such a state, they become unable to desist from consuming the drug even when it becomes apparent the drugs might be causing considerable health damage to them individually or to other people around them. The negative consequences arising as a result of drug abuse are well documented, whether it is the effects on the individual or society.
Ndetei (2004) notes that drug and substance abuse among the youth in Nigeria’s urban set up has been on an upward trajectory over the past few years. To overcome challenges and problems plaguing them, the country’s youth population has turned to the consumption of both licit and illicit substances. As a result of the markedly high levels of drug consumption in this age group,crime rates and incidences of domestic violence have also been on the rise.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Cases of drug misuse among the youths are rising steadily and at a worrying trend not only in Nigeria but also in most parts of Africa. If intervention measures are not put in place, the fate for future generation is at stake. Most youths have become addicts, hopelessness and uninterested in getting married. Even those in marriage relationships, many of them have abdicated their conjugal rights threatening procreation process.
Many youths indulge themselves in drugs abuse for all sorts of reasons. They range from dysfunctional families, peer influence, availability of alcohol and drugs, influence of the social media, unemployment and stress to mention a few.
The financial repercussions of alcohol abuse are severe, especially for the poor. If the vice is left unchecked, there will be high crime rate and loss of future generation. Hence, there is need to investigate the factors influencing the vice among the youths with the aim of creating awareness on the effects of using the same.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The major of this study is to critically examine drug abuse among youths in Nigeria. By extension, this study will specifically;
- Find out the prevalence of drug abuse among youths.
- Ascertain the forms of drugs commonly abused by the youths.
- Investigate the various factors which influences youths indulgence into drug abuse.
1.4 Research Question
The study will be guided by the following questions;
- What is the prevalence of drug abuse among youths?
- What are the forms of drugs commonly abused by the youths?
- What are the various factors which influences youths indulgence into drug abuse?
1.5 Research Hypothesis
- Ho: There are no significant factors influences the act of drug abuse among youths.
- Ha: There are significant factors influences the act of drug abuse among youths.
1.6 Significant of the Study
The study will explore the factors influencing drug abuse amongst the youths and its effects in the functioning of the family and society at large. The findings of the study will aid law enforcement agencies, policy makers and other stakeholders in the fight against the vice. The study also intend to be a source of reference to scholars and consultants as well as law enforcement agencies involved in curbing the menace in the community.
1.7 Scope of the Study
This study will critically assess drug abuse among youths in Nigeria. The study specifically seeks to find out the prevalence of drug abuse among youths, ascertain the forms of drugs commonly abused by the youths, and investigate the various factors which influences youths indulgence into drug abuse. The study will be delimited to Owerri Metropolis, Imo State.
1.8. Limitation of the Study
Like in every human endeavour, the researcher encountered slight constraints while carrying out the study. Insufficient funds tend to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature, or information and in the process of data collection, which is why the researcher resorted to a limited choice of sample size. More so, the researcher simultaneously engaged in this study with other academic work. As a result, the amount of time spent on research will be reduced.
1.9 Definition of Terms
Refers to the use of chemicals other than in sickness.
Intake of brews for enjoyment, socialization, relief of stress (anxiety) or for any other reason, or due to an addiction.
Refers to both male and female persons between the ages of 18 to 35 years.
1.10 Organization of the Study
The study is categorized into five chapters. The first chapter presents the background of the study, statement of the problem, objective of the study, research questions and hypothesis, the significance of the study, scope/limitations of the study, and definition of terms. The chapter two covers the review of literature with emphasis on conceptual framework, theoretical framework, and empirical review. Likewise, the chapter three which is the research methodology, specifically covers the research design, population of the study, sample size determination, sample size, and selection technique and procedure, research instrument and administration, method of data collection, method of data analysis, validity and reliability of the study, and ethical consideration. The second to last chapter being the chapter four presents the data presentation and analysis, while the last chapter(chapter five) contains the summary, conclusion and recommendation.
Summary, Conclusions and Recommendations:
This chapter summarizes the findings on drug abuse among youths in Nigeria using Owerri metropolis, Imo State as a case study.The chapter consists of summary of the study, conclusions, and recommendations.
5.2 Summary of the Study
In this study, our focus was to examine drug abuse among youths in Nigeria using Owerri metropolis, Imo State as a case study. The study specifically was aimed to find out the prevalence of drug abuse among youths, ascertain the forms of drugs commonly abused by the youths and investigate the various factors which influences youths indulgence into drug abuse.
The study adopted the survey research design and randomly enrolled participants in the study. A total of 141 responses were validated from the enrolled participants where all respondents areyouth in Owerri metropolis, Imo State.
Based on the findings of this study, the researcher made the following conclusion.
- The prevalence of drug abuse among youths is high.
- The forms of drugs commonly abused by the youths includes: alcohol, shisha, cigarettes, heroin, cocaine and cannabis Sativa (marijuana/bhang)
- The various factors which influences youths indulgence into drug abuse includes: poor parentage, peer pressure, ease accessibility of the drug, need to experiment (Curiosity), dysfunctional families and high rate of crime.
Based on the findings of the study, the following recommendations are proffered.
- There is need for parents to built strong and positive relationship with their children and educate them on the dangers of drugs.
- There is need for creating awareness on the importance of creating stable families for proper upbringing of children.
- The government should impose ban on importation of harmful drugs and substances such as Kuber and shisha into the country
- There is need to promote peer-counseling groups at village level and in various social forums.
- There is need for creating more employment opportunities for youths so that they could be idle and engage in drug and substance abuse.
- There is need for establishment of accessible and affordable rehabilitation and rescue centers, equipped with qualified personnel and facilities at sub-county level to give medical care to those already addicted to drugs.
- There is need to promote recreational activities (games, sports and cultural activities) to keep the youths occupied to avoid taking drugs and substances.
How To Get The Complete Material For Drug Abuse Among Youths In Nigeria
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($20)|
|FOR GHANIAN CLIENTS|
|Make Payment of 100 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- Email Address
- Drug Abuse Among Youths In Nigeria
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To Your Email Address After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply