Design And Implementation Of A Medical Test Result Information System
Medical information communication strategies must address the needs of a heterogeneous group of users, and overcome challenges in relaying timely medical information to even the most peripheral sites. The aim of the study is to design and implement a medical test result information system for HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. The proposed system is a computerized system that is used to capture and save laboratory test result so that it can be saved to a database for future retrieval. The advantages of the proposed system include; it will provide an easy way of capturing and saving laboratory test results, reports can be presented when needed, and the database of lab results can be queried, office space is not wasted by traditional flat files, and it is susceptible to virus and hacking attacks. The disadvantages of the system are that users must be computer literate before they can make use of it. Adopting the computer system for medical information communication strategy helps address the need of medical officers, and overcame challenges in transmitting timely information.
This chapter focuses on the introduction of the study, it presents the background of the study, statement of the problem, purpose of the study, research questions, aim and objectives of the study, scope of the study, significance of the study, organization of the research and definition of terms.
1.1 Background of the Study
According to Georgiou, Williamson, Westbrook (2006) a medical test result information system is a means for E-health care that facilitates management of the workflow of medical tests. The ultimate objective is to store patients’ results and provide healthcare professionals with a quick and accurate access to them. Only eligible people with access permittance are consent to access the system, thereby maintaining confidentiality of patients’ files. Specific objectives include:
- Establishment of a paperless environment while maintaining a digital Recording
- Optimize utilization of medical resources at the medical center
- Increase efficiency of medical care outcome
- Monitoring and control the medical laboratory workflow process
The strengthening of medical information processing capacity in resource-limited settings is very important. It is believed that the best way to do this is by building sustainable laboratory capabilities that will provide access to high quality, rapid, and affordable diagnostic tests for the care, treatment, prevention and surveillance of three major ailments which are: HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB) and malaria.
Evaluations of medical reporting systems to date have measured their impact on those health establishments that have point-of-care access to the system via internet, local area networks, or other forms. In these settings, they have been shown to decrease result delivery times (RDTs) of laboratory results, reduce redundancy in resource utilization and provide faster and more complete notification for public health purposes. Shorter RDTs have been associated with decreased treatment time, mortality, morbidity, and length of hospital stay.
Effective medical information communication strategies must address the needs of a heterogeneous group of users, and overcome challenges in relaying timely information to even the most peripheral sites.
1.2 Statement of Problem
A baseline assessment found that most hospitals do not have an efficient recording and information sharing system of test results. the traditional flat file organization is still in place and the system makes it difficult to search for patient’s file. The consequence of this delay may bring about high mortality rate and bad reputation for the hospital. Test results are very vital as they enable the doctors to know the kind of treatment to administer, however they take time to arrive, and patients could still experience risky delays unless programmatic aspects are also addressed. Therefore, a medical information system is needed to address the problem of getting information about the medical test result of patients. This system has been shown to decrease the number of reporting errors, most importantly eliminating missing results.
1.3 Aim and Objectives of the Study
The aim of the study is to design and implement a medical test result information system
The following are the objectives of the study:
- To develop a medical test result information system for HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- To present the importance of information systems
- To bring to light the modules involved in a medical test result information system
- To make known the resources needed for a typical medical test result information system
1.4 Scope of the Study
This study covers the design and implementation of a medical test result information system.
1.5 Significance of the Study
The significance of the study is that it will help medical practitioners get timely information about the laboratory test result of patients. The study will also serve as a useful reference material to other researchers seeking for information pertaining the subject.
1.6 Organization of Research
This research work is organized into five chapters.
- Chapter one is concerned with the introduction of the research study and it presents the preliminaries, theoretical background, statement of the problem, aim and objectives of the study, significance of the study, scope of the study, organization of the research and definition of terms.
- Chapter two focuses on the literature review, the contributions of other scholars on the subject matter is discussed.
- Chapter three is concerned with the system analysis and design. It presents the research methodology used in the development of the system, it analyzes the present system to identify the problems and provides information on the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed system. The system design is also presented in this chapter.
- Chapter four presents the system implementation and documentation, the choice of programming language, analysis of modules, choice of programming language and system requirements for implementation.
- Chapter five focuses on the summary, constraints of the study, conclusion and recommendations are provided in this chapter based on the study carried out.
1.7 Definition of Terms
The examination of something in detail in order to understand it better or draw conclusions from it.
A place where research and testing is carried out
An examination of part of the body or of a body fluid or specimen in order to find something out, e.g. whether it is functioning properly or is infected
An assembly of computer hardware, software, and peripherals functioning together to solve a common problem
Somebody who receives medical treatment
The meaningful material derived from computer data by organizing it and interpreting it in a specific way.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
This chapter presents the summary, conclusion, constraints of the study and offers useful recommendations.
5.1 Constraints of the Study
In carrying out the research work, some challenges were faced that limited the study such as:
The time given for the completion of the research work was too short hence the researcher had speed up the research work to meet up and this has an impact on the study.
Few materials were found pertaining to the research area and this limited the bulk of the literature review.
The high cost of textbooks, internet browsing and transportation to different libraries to gather materials stood as a constraint to the research work.
A medical test result information system is a computerized system that is used to capture medical test result so that it can be saved to a database for future retrieval. Medical professionals always need test result information so as to be able to know the drugs or treatment to give patients based on the result of the test or to know which other test needs to be carried out. This information system is important because in a medical setting, there is every need for a system that can aid the retrieval of medical test result of patients for prompt medical decision and future reference.
Every medical institution needs an information system that will aid referencing of medical information of patients. A medical test result information system is one of such system that can aid the storage and retrieval of lab test result information instantly. Adopting the computer system for medical information communication strategies helps address the needs of medical officers, and overcome challenges in relaying timely medical information.
The following recommendations are offered by the researcher based on the study:
- Information technology officers should be recruited in medical institutions
- Medical staff should be trained on how to use the computer system and its related hardware and software.
- Medical information system such as medical test result information system should be developed to resolve the communication challenges.
- The traditional flat file organization should only be used as back up while the data capturing and retrieval process of every medical department should be computerized.
How To Get The Complete Material For Design And Implementation Of A Medical Test Result Information System
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “Design And Implementation Of A Medical Test Result Information System” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Design And Implementation Of A Medical Test Result Information System” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.