Design And Implementation Of An Intelligence Based System For Students Performance Evaluation
This research work focused on Design and Implementation of an intelligence based system for students’ performance evaluation a case study of state college, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom state. Evaluation of students’ performance is one of the major objectives of schools. In the existing system, students’ performances are only evaluated based on their performance in test and exams. This method of evaluating the performance of students is not entirely reliable as they are other parameter that needs to be considered when evaluation the performance of students such as attendance, general proficiency in studies, obedience level, etcetera. An automated system has been developed to aid in the evaluation of students based on different parameters. The total weight of the assigned values of the evaluation parameter is computed and the system gives an assessment of the performance of the student based on the resulting score. The software development methodology used is the waterfall methodology and use case model is used to represent the component of the system. The programming language used is Visual Basic 6.0 and the database used is Microsoft Access 2003.
This chapter presents the introduction to an intelligence based system for students performance evaluation. It presents:
- Statement of the problem
- Objectives of the study
- Scope of the study
- Significance of the study
- Organization of the research
- Definition of terms.
Performance in schools is increasingly judged on the basis of effective learning outcomes. Information is critical to knowing whether the school system is delivering good performance and to providing feedback for improvement in student outcomes. The OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) has launched the Review on Evaluation and Assessment Frameworks for Improving School Outcomes to provide analysis and policy advice to countries. Countries use a range of techniques for the evaluation and assessment of students, teachers, schools and education systems. Many countries test samples and/or all students at key points, and sometimes follow students over time. In all countries, there is widespread recognition that evaluation and assessment frameworks are key to building stronger and fairer school systems. Countries also emphasize the importance of seeing evaluation and assessment not as ends in themselves, but instead as important tools for achieving improved student outcomes .
1.1 Statement of Problem
The following are the problems that necessitated this research to be conducted.
- Absence of an effective computerized performance evaluation system in schools.
- The manual method of conducting performance evaluation of students is time consuming and prone to many errors.
- Difficulty in obtaining instant reports of past performance evaluation records.
1.2 Aim and Objectives of the Study
The aim of the study is to design and Implement an intelligence based system for students’ performance evaluation. The specific objectives are:
- To develop a computerized system to replace the manual method of assessing students.
- To develop a system that will intelligently determine the performance of students based on different variables such as attendance frequency, class work performance, neatness etc.
- To develop a system that will capture performance assessment records to a database.
- To develop a system that will aid in the easy retrieval of performance evaluation records.
1.3 Scope of the Study
This study covers the Design and Implementation of an intelligence based system for students performance evaluation a case study of state college, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom state. It is limited to the assessment of the students performance by different variables such as attendance frequency, class work performance, ability to answer questions, general proficiency in study, English language proficiency, socialization ability, neatness/ dressing, obedience level.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The significance of the study are:
- It will provide valuable information to readers on how performance evaluation in schools is conducted.
- It will provide a system that will aid in the easy computation, storage and reporting of performance evaluation records.
- It will save time in the assessment of student’s performance.
- It will serve as a useful reference material for other researchers seeking related information.
1.5 Organization of the Research
This research work is organized into five chapters.
- Chapter one is concerned with the introduction of the research study and it presents the preliminaries, theoretical background, statement of the problem, aim and objectives of the study, significance of the study, scope of the study, organization of the research and definition of terms.
- Chapter two focuses on the literature review, the contributions of other scholars on the subject matter is discussed.
- Chapter three is concerned with the system analysis and design. It analyzes the present system to identify the problems and provides information on the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed system. The system design is also presented in this chapter.
- Chapter four presents the system implementation and documentation. The choice of programming language, analysis of modules, choice of programming language and system requirements for implementation.
- Chapter five focuses on the summary, conclusion and recommendations are provided in this chapter based on the study carried out.
1.6 Definition of terms
A field of computer science that is concerned with the development of systems that mimic the intelligence of human experts.
The amount of useful work accomplished to the time and resources used.
An appraisal or assessment of an individual or thing to determine their level of performance.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
This chapter presents the, constraints of the study, summary, conclusion and offers useful recommendations.
5.1 Constraints of the Study
In carrying out the research work, some challenges were faced that limited the study such as:
The time given for the completion of the research work was too short hence the researcher had speed up the research work to meet up and this has an impact on the study.
Few materials were found pertaining to the research area and this limited the bulk of the literature review.
The high cost of textbooks, internet browsing and transportation to different libraries to gather materials stood as a constraint to the research work.
The manual system of evaluating students performance can be replaced by a computerized system. A computerized performance evaluation system for students is a very vital system to institutions. Automating the process even makes it better because the evaluation record of the performance of the students can be easily stored to a database and easily retrieved when needed. The system also ensures accurate computation of the evaluation variables inputs to arrive at a final decision. With this system in place, the teacher or management of the school will be well informed about the performance of students for necessary management decisions.
It is important that performance evaluation is effectively carried out to know the academic ability of students of any given class. By bringing teachers’ evaluation scores into better alignment with their behavior and effectiveness, schools will have richer information with which to make a variety of personnel decisions, and teachers will have more-accurate information about how well their students are learning.
The following recommendations are offered based on the objectives of the study;
- More research should be encouraged in the area of developing performance evaluation system for students.
- The manual system of evaluating students’ performance should be replaced with a computerized system.
- Evaluation of student performance should not be done based on exams alone..
- Experts in the subject of performance evaluation for students should be contracted to train teachers on the different ways to evaluate the performance of students.
- Teachers should work hand in hand with software developers to create software solutions that can be used to evaluate the performance of students.
- Teachers should be trained to be computer literate so that they can make use of automated systems for performance evaluation.
How To Get The Complete Material For Design And Implementation Of An Intelligence Based System For Students Performance Evaluation
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “Design And Implementation Of An Intelligence Based System For Students Performance Evaluation” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Design And Implementation Of An Intelligence Based System For Students Performance Evaluation” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.