Design And Implementation Of Health Clinical Database Information System
This project was centered on health clinical database information system. The current process of keeping records of patients is being operated manually and due to this procedure numerous problem are been encountered. A design was taken to computerized the manual process in order to check this problem. The problems were identified after series of interviews and examination of documents after which analysis was made and a computerized procedure recommended. This project will also suggest how to successfully implement the computerized procedure and to overcome the obstacle that would hinder the successful implementation of the system. The new system was designed using Microsoft visual basic 6.0 programming language. This language was chosen because of its easy syntax and features for developing windows based applications.
Table of Contents
- Cover page
- Title page
- Table content
- 1.1 Background of study
- 1.2 Statement of the problem
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Scope of the study
- 1.5 Limitation of the study
- 1.6 Methodology
- 1.7 Definition of terms
- 1.8 Data dictionary
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Drug dispensing samples words of caution
- 2.2 Database management system
- 2.3 Expert system technology
- 2.4 Clinical computing and the computer based patient record
- 2.5 Advantages of computer-based medical records
- 2.6 Routes of drug administration
- 2.7 Evaluation of clinical method
3.0 System Analysis
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Organogram of FEDPONEK Medical Centre
- 3.3 Detailed analysis of the present system
- 3.3.1 The administrative unit
- 3.3.2 The Pharmaceutical unit
- 3.3.3 Operations and pharmaceutical unit
- 3.3.4 How drugs are received and dispensed
- 3.3.5 Nursing unit
- 3.3.6 The public health unit
- 3.3.7 The medical record unit
- 3.3.8 The laboratory unit
- 3.3.9 Procedure for admission and discharge of patient
- 3.4 Flowchart of medical procedure in Federal Polytechnic Nekede Medical Centre
- 3.5 Problems observed in the present system
- 3.6 Expectation of the new system
- 3.7 Data flow diagram
4.0 System Design
- 4.1 Database structures
- 4.2 Input design
- 4.3 Output design
- 4.4 Program design
- 4.5 Top down design
- 4.6 Program module flowchart (symbols)
- 4.7 Specification of program module
- 4.8 Program coding
5.0 Program Implementation and Documentation
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 File conversion
- 5.3 Site preparation
- 5.4 Training
- 5.5 Hardware and software requirement
- 5.6 Material requirements
- 5.7 System test run
- 5.8 System maintenance
- 5.9 Documentation
- 5.9.1 Operational principles
6.0 Conclusion and Recommendation
- 6.1 Conclusion
- 6.2 Recommendation
1.1 Background Of Study
Integrated of documentation and knowledge based computerized services in information system is a tremendous means to help health professionals in their daily practice and to improve its quality.
Effort is continuously being made in designing and developing economically and reliable database system to satisfy a clinical database information system. This project is about the design and development of a clinical database system for medical management of the federal poly Nekede medical centre and shows how records and data can be handled and stored within the system.
The system will store patients’ records, drug inventory and dispensation as well as other relevant clinical information within the polytechnic community. The system will be used by the staff doctor, nurses, clerks, consultants, and other relevant authorities as the demand may be within the clinic. It will process data speedily and accurately, provide information when and where required.
The clinical database system will be used to store data, produce reports and handle management enquires. In clinics that are made up of doctors, nurses, patient and other personnel staff, an Information system is required to keep track of the day to day transaction of the clinic and to improve the communication skills. Also this system will help in highlighting risk/complex patients for consultant input alert of DNA; easily identify all patient taking certain medications; monitor frequency of major complication example peptic ulcer, check for known drug interaction; improve evidence based practice, record questions in clinic for later response from the team when not sure of correct reply.
Therefore, it is hoped that the design and development of a clinical database system would provide a flexible and reliable management of the polytechnic clinic. This program is carefully design to work in a standalone system or in a multi-user environment.
1.2 Statement Of The Problem
It is observed that federal polytechnic Nekede medical centre most of its record on staff, students, patients, drug and inventory and dispensary are handled manually. The problems associated with the manual method include inaccurate data, poor quality of patient care and administrative inefficiency. The task involved in this design is as follows:
- Careful study of the manual operation of federal polytechnic Nekede medical centre
- Collection of information on general problem confronting the medical centre
- Study the identified problems, design and develop a clinical database system that will help in solving these problems
- Develop computer software that will help in the management if the medical centre.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
The primary aim of this project is to design and develop a clinical database system for federal polytechnic Nekede clinic, which will achieve the following:
- Improve efficiency and the communication skill in the clinic
- Keep proper patients record, drug inventory, dispensing and efficiency of drug dispensed
- To bring about a computer pollution free environment that will ensure a secured public health of the staff, and the polytechnic community
- To acquire practical experience in the design and development of a clinical database system and other related software
1.4 Scope Of The Study
The scope of this project is mainly on patient’s record, the drug prescription, available drugs, the drug dispensed and the efficiency of the drug dispensed. The application of query in getting the desired reports on drug inventory in the pharmaceutical unit.
1.5 Limitation Of The Study
User resistance and misconception: Human fear towards change was a major problem encountered in this course of study; hence vital information was hidden away from me.
Sensitivity of the study:
Due to the sensitive nature of drug management, some secrets were not given out for professional reasons.
The time allocated to carry out this project is quite small for adequate and complete investigation of the study.
The project is carried out, following the appropriate stage involved in design and development of clinical software.
The stage are briefly discussed below
The problems associated with the medical centre are first identified. This is done by critically analysis of the existing system.
The data required for this clinical database is obtained by interviewing staff, students and other medical personnel. Also vital information was also obtained in designing and developing a clinical database.
Using relevant facts obtained from relevant sources, the clinical database system is designed.
System development and implementation:
The conceptual designed are developed and implemented as computer program. After the development and implementation, the system is tested to ensure that is fulfils the objective of the project.
The developed clinical database system software is installed on the computer system and made ready for use.
1.7 Definition Of Terms
This is a master file that contains data antenatal form. E.g. Patients’ names, address, medical histories, diagnosis, sex, age, type of admission, drug treatment, data for admission and discharge.
1.8 Data Dictionary
This contains the list of items used and their different meanings according to how it is applied in the project.
Conclusion And Recommendation
This project is aimed at replacing and improving the manual mode of clinical record keeping with a more sophisticated computerized system of record keeping in the clinic via the case study; Federal Polytechnic Nekede Medical centre.
The program aids in an easier record keeping of patients and drug management for quick access process, update, retrieval and storage of records for use and future reference. The benefits of this develop software includes:
- Speed: the program gives faster access to any data and aids in the improvement of the standard of decision making
- Reliability: This is achieved since data entered interactively to the computer are saved in files and duplicated to other external disk at choice; also records can be adjusted by authorized bodies.
- The new system can also allow to be printed, such as reports, forms if needed which the old system cannot offer.
Since the aim of this project is to produce an enhanced clinical record keeping, which has been tested and approved, I therefore, recommend this package (software) to all clinics (especially computerized clinics) and relevant medical centers that needs efficient patient and drug record keeping management system. It makes it easier for the manipulation of record in the clinic.
How To Get The Complete Material For Design And Implementation Of Health Clinical Database Information System
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “Design And Implementation Of Health Clinical Database Information System” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Design And Implementation Of Health Clinical Database Information System” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.