Design And Implementation Of A Computerized Personnel Database For A Tertiary Institution
This study was carried at to verify all the manual processes involved in personnel database management for a tertiary institution and to seek for away of automating the system for effective operations.
Since there is continuous advancement, high productivity of labour and operations is best using machines in this revolution. An indispensable tools; computer and its application; resolving the area where the attraction is needed.
In this project, the software engineering principles were applied in the analysis, design, coding, and testing of the software.
In the development of the software, visual basic programming language was used due to it’s enhanced graphic features and a manual is also provided. At the and what was tended to resolve was achieved and at the same time it is user friend (i.e. object oriented).
Table of Content
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
- 1.1 Background of Study / Short History
- 1.2 Objectives / Aims of Study
- 1.3 Statement of Problem
- 1.4 Purpose of Study
- 1.5 Justification of Study
- 1.6 Scope of the Problem / Limitation
- 1.7 Methodology
- 1.8 Thesis / Project Organization / Definition Of Terms
2.0 Literature Review
3.0 Analysis of the Existing System
- 3.1 Fact Finding Methods
- 3.2 Objectives of Existing System
- 3.3 Input Process and Output Analysis
- 3.3.1 Input Analysis
- 3.3.2 Process
- 3.3.3 Output
- 3.4 Problem of the Existing System
- 3.5 Organizational Structure
- 3.6 Information Flow Diagram
- 3.7 Justification for New System
4.0 Design of a New System
- 4.1 Input Specification And Design
- 4.2 Output Specification
- 4.3 File Design
- 4.4 Procedure Chart
- 4.5 System Flow Chart
- 4.6 System Requirement
- 4.6.1 Software Requirement
- 4.6.2 Hardware Requirement
- 5.1 Program Design
- 5.2 Pseudocode
- 5.3 Source Listing
- 5.4 Test Run
Recommendation and Conclusion
- 7.1 Recommendation
- 7.2 Conclusion
1.1 Background of Study
Database is a standard term covering computer based services, which provide information in response in specific requests from users. The data may stored in documents, microforms or computer code text and graphics (user interface) for references.
Database management as regards to personnel information system evaluate the process of managing and monitoring employee or members of an organization as a means of gaining maximum efficiency. As the organization benefit or offer to the public on subscription basis; the output services is either a physical document or computer data presented, say on a video display unit.
Further more, the information is data/stored to a disk; perhaps is when the user supplies then is to locate a copy of the document and deliver it to the user. More after than not, however information need are expressed or outputted in terms of request for data, such as how many employee are being eroded in the organization? Or what is the salary level of an employee? – To answer such question reference must be made to records such questions, reference must be made to records stored as the computer coded data. This involve searching and retrieval of records stored on disk.
The institute of management and technology has her inception on October 1971 and later after promulgated on July 1, 1973; nevertheless, the institute had being in existence as a two separate collages that is the collage of technology and institute of administration but joined together are now the institute of management and technology; also their separate two workers are joined together and managed in consonance with their assets.
1.2 Objectives / Aims of Study
Due to the inefficiency surrounding the manual database management in the personnel department, it was felt that a study of this nature will clarify the causes of the problems being faced by the concerned departments and to map out the necessary solutions/or measures and techniques to the problem.
As to regarding this solution, the manual processing of personnel information was found to be cumbersome, tedious and ineffective which lead to inaccurate and unreliable results. It is the ail of this work therefore, to remedy this ugly situation by making the task involved to be easy and effective thereby making provision for accuracy and reliability of this result.
More also, this work has the objective of correcting all the mistakes being while operating a manual made; that storage and retrieval encounter delay of storing and retrieving information to work with.
Lastly, loss of file are encounter and this work is has the objective of retrieving or stopping invasion by intruders to the database system.
1.3 Statement of the Problem
There has been this problem of too much work for the personnel officers in the institute. Owing to the growing population of staff in the institution, the personnel department is faced with hips of file. At times, sorting out a particular staff file takes almost a month.
Also there has been cases of missing files due to lack of security in the office and the poor filling system in use, the personnel files at times get lost and it then becomes difficult to access the concerned staff information.
More also, the two much files could tend to unreliable results as to sorting a particular level of record as to its range or conforming to a particular request of arrangement.
1.4 Purpose of Study
The purpose of the study is to design and implementation of a computerized personnel database management.
1.5 Justification of Study
The importance of this study to the organization are as follows:
- It will help to give employees the elementary knowledge as how computer can be used to store and retrieve information.
- The software developed will help to create and store information about the IMT staff. This information can be retrieved at any time by the users for decision making.
- Adequate security is offered to the information stored to avoid alteration by wrong users. This is done through the use of pass word to protect the information.
- It is easy to obtain information or locate a particular employee in that organization by retrieving information concerning him from the system.
1.6 Scope of the Study / Limitation
Owing to the study of this nature, I would like to accumulate data from many areas (that is, territory institutions). But, in-view of the length of time allowed for this is a research, such as a wide range of sample study will be external difficult, so I therefore concentrated this field work with in Enugu; precisely, limitating it to IMT Enugu as a case study.
Besides, there were many other problems that hindered when executing this research work.
As a student, there was not enough capital to spend in transport and fact finding and borrowing of necessary literature that would have helped in the working of this research work.
The respondent, especially the branch officers, did not co-operate as was expected. Also, the worker in the different departments visited were as well relevant in answering some of the questions asked.
All this problems not withstanding did not prevent the continuation of the research work.
This is the method or design, I employed in caring out this research work. It includes:
The population for the study
The population of the entire employee of IMT Enugu is about seven hundred (700) employees – who works randomly in other various departments.
Sample For The Study
Since the entire number of employees is about seven hundred employees, but instead of studying the entire population, there is about 50 departments of employee having in each about 7 – 15 minimum workers; so I, the researcher decide to take 2 employee at random for each department.
The instrument I, employed for the research fact finding or collection is oral interview.
Instrument for data analysis
The instrument / used for data analysis include
Method of Data Analysis
There is a 70% response rate because both of the head staff of the department of personnel responded to the interview with about eight out-of twelve workers in the department. The technique employed were the percentage for interview responds and hypothesis.
1.8 Thesis / Project Organization
This study has been organized in seven chapters:
- Chapter one trashed out the background of study, statements of the problem, purpose of study, scope of study, methodology, justification for the new system.
- Chapter two reviewed the related literature while chapter three dealt with description analysis of the existing system, reference of writing text, input analysis, problem of the existing system.
- Chapter four presented the design of new system as output specification and design, procedure chart, system flowchart and system requirement.
- Chapter five dealt with the implementation of the problem design, program flow chart, pseudocodes, sources listing and test run.
- Chapter six was documentation while
- Chapter seven being the last chapter and conclusion of the work, after which followed by the reference.
Recommendation and Conclusion
To enhance effective implementation of the system developed, I here by recommend that:
- The management should purchase the required hardware are that will enable the software developed to be implemented effectively.
- The software developed should be installed in the personnel management offices.
- For proper maintenance efficient working of the system, management should always endeavor to work with experts in the field. This will help the management to achieve the aim and objective for automating system.
- Unauthorized user should not be allowed ton use the system to avoid altering the data in the system.
- If there is any operational problem that arises, management should contact the system analyst to carryout investigation on the cause of the problem
- Management should endeavor to make a back up copy of the software to avoid total lost of information due to system break down.
Having come to the end of the study, we can see that information storage and retrieve constitute a special area under computer data handling (Database).
As we are right now into the age information. The emergence of electron technology that is computers have enable offices tasks to be automated, increasing the level of productivity and accuracy of result compared with those obtained using the manual method. In many cases, computers have drastically reduced management difficulties.
With the aid of the software developed in this project, personnel information in the institute of management and technology (IMT) , Enugu can easily be stored, retrieved edit and printed e.t.c.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦5,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731
|Acc No: 1225513212
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS
|Make Payment of 120 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Cloud Osabutey | MTN MoMo
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Design And Implementation Of A Computerized Personnel Database For A Tertiary Institution
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply