Automated Information System For Agricultural Development
This study was carried out on developing an automated information system for farming management. Better developments in farming have been achieved when the information required by farmers on agricultural technologies are made available as accessing latest information of agricultural activities will produce a sustainable farming improvement. The study examined the basic 3D form of visualization technology of major plants found in the farms of Jigawa State farming environment. The methods used in the research provided a reviewed of the related work in order to make a clear understanding of two-dimensional works. Next, it made designed of the farm information model using Sketchup with Ruby for three dimensional farms. It started with observing some works previously done on disseminating information to farmers including organization and surveyed project based on how to improve the flow of agricultural information through modern channels for sustainable farming development where the works are not 3D enabled form of disseminating information The research continues with design of Automated farm information technology which is a 3D form of information dissemination. To address none 3D limitation identified, we designed, implemented and evaluated a 3D farm information system. Results obtained showed that our 3D information system provided enhanced information dissemination to farmers in Jigawa State. Our 3D farm information system can be adapted and used in other environments to achieve better information dissemination.
Today a new paradigm of agricultural development is fast emerging: in both developing and developed countries the overall development of rural areas is expanding in new directions; old ways of delivering important services to citizens are being challenged; and traditional societies are being transformed into knowledge societies all over the world. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is seen as an important means of achieving such a transformation. When used as a broad tool for providing local farming communities with scientific knowledge, ICT heralds the formation of knowledge societies in the rural areas of the developing world. However, this can only be realized when knowledge and information are effectively harvested for overall agricultural and rural development. The development of precision farming in countries of the North emphasizes knowledge-intensity; hence the agricultural paradigm in the developing world will have to be recast to take advantage of knowledge availability to achieve multiple goals: of income, food, jobs, etc. . ICT helps the agricultural sector in re-orienting itself towards the overall agricultural development of small production systems. With the appropriate knowledge, small-scale producers can even have a competitive edge over larger operations. When knowledge is harnessed by strong organizations of small producers, strategic planning can be used to provide members with least-cost inputs, better storage facilities, improved transportation links and collective negotiations with buyers.
1.1 Theoretical Background
The technology used to implement the system is database technology. Microsoft Access 2003 database was used as the database while Visual BASIC 6.0 was used to create an interface that will be linked to the database using Adodc1 control. Below is a Visual Basic code to manage plant registration.
Private Sub Command1_Click()
Private Sub Command2_Click()
Private Sub Command3_Click()
Fig 1.1: Plant Registration form
1.2 Statement of the Problem
The following problems were identified:
Many farmers lack modern knowledge of how to manage their agricultural activities to maximize yield or production.
The ignorance of the existence of information systems that can enable those in the agricultural industry to be more productive exists because only few research studies has been conducted and mainly also the limited level of sensitization about agro ICT concept.
Seminars and workshops on how ICT can contribute to agricultural development are hardly organized regularly.
Farmers do not have an information software system that can be used to gain knowledge about how to carry out their agricultural work to maximize production.
Consequently, the financial capacity of farmers is low while it has the potential to blossom. This situation necessitated this study.
1.3 Aim and Objectives of the Study
The aim of the research work is to develop an automated information system for agricultural development with the following objectives:
- To develop a system that will provide relevant information about different plants and their planting season, soil requirements and suitable weather conditions.
- To develop a database application that can be used to capture and save agricultural information pertaining to useful plants
- To develop a system that can be queried to retrieve agricultural information pertaining registered plants.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The significance of the research work are:
- It will provide the ministry of agriculture with a useful system that can be used to manage agricultural information.
- It will also aid the users to carry out their agricultural practices effectively trough the information provided by the system.
- The study will also serve as a useful reference material for other researchers seeking for information on the subject.
1.5 Scope of the Study
The research work covers automated information system for agricultural development using ministry of agriculture as a case study. It is limited to plants farming.
Comparing real world in which peopleare living and the imaginary worlds designed by computer designers or game designers is usually consideredas three-dimensional. As such, the need for 3D in disseminating information is rapidly increasing.
- The area of study (Jigawa State) will be drawn using GIS. The State map consist of four zones drawn with GIS were local governments of the each zone will be viewed on the Google map through satellite imagery. The portion of the information displayed shows the major plant of that area in 3D format, and the information associated with the plant. With that the farmers will be inform and to decide on the suitability of farm management.
- Spatial referencing to extract points for the area captured in the satellite imagery that is Jigawa State will also be used as mentionedin (a) to display the farm information of the area in 3D form to allow farmers making plant use decisions.
ArcGIS software was used for this study in digitization and modification of Jigawa State map.
Google Earth is Earth browser software, which can be used to view satellite imagery of the area. Keyhole Markup Language (KML) file format that can be used to store and display geographic data. Number of plants models and farm can be created in Sketchupwith help of Ruby. Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) and File Geodatabase can be used in developing a web site as well as database of the map system.
1.7 Definition of Terms
The occupation, business, or science of cultivating the land, producing crops, and raising livestock
The use of Information and communication technology to carry out agricultural activities.
1.8 Organization of the Research
This research work is organized into five chapters.
- Chapter one is concerned with the introduction of the research study and it presents the preliminaries, theoretical background, statement of the problem, aim and objectives of the study, significance of the study, scope of the study, organization of the research and definition of terms.
- Chapter two focuses on the literature review, the contributions of other scholars on the subject matter is discussed.
- Chapter three is concerned with the system analysis and design. It presents the research methodology used in the development of the system, it analyzes the present system to identify the problems and provides information on the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed system. The system design is also presented in this chapter.
- Chapter four presents the system implementation and documentation, the choice of programming language, analysis of modules, choice of programming language and system requirements for implementation.
- Chapter five focuses on the summary, constraints of the study, conclusion and recommendations are provided in this chapter based on the study carried out.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendation
The study is entitled“automated farm information system”. It examined how to disseminate information to farmers through 3D visualization technology. The study was based on the motivation that, the computer is changing every day and the people living in local areas received some changing over a year or some years after. Considering the current changes in game application which is still running on the world of computer as three dimension work, so the study focuses on three-dimension to display the plant of local areas in 3D model. The study aims at developing a plant and farm model of the Jigawa state major crops produced in the state communities through GIS and Google Earth 3D technologies in order to allow farmers and other rural families view the virtual world of the farm for better decision in choosing the appropriate crop toward valuable farming activities.
Traditionally, two dimensional design is less viewable, since it is much of x and y dimension, and it is a picture like view object. But, 3D designs is always shown and reach in x, y and z dimension which can rotate and move in such a way people will feel like a real life world. The plants are in 3D design, so it can be viewed as real life plants. 3D plant model was preferred because of its interactive ability to disseminate information to farmers and other people. Its interactive ability will help in developing and enriching agricultural product as well as wellbeing of the farmers. It will also help in reducing the global hunger in rural community.
In its richest form in computer, GIS as collective component of computer and other described earth‟s surface data, helps in better performance of disseminating information to farmers. This is because the study considers it as the most developing desktop software for mapping 3D model of the research area, while physical farmers through it can import to Google earth. With Google earth, the users can view any part of the world including Jigawa state. Google earth as a three dimensional representation of the earth over the internet to access the satellite and aerial imagery can quickly allow locating the local government areas in the research for viewing the 3D model farms when combined with KML.
This study presents the conceptual architecture of the farmers using three dimensional visualization application which consists of three layers via: interface, GIS map and data layer. The layers combined together to form a clear and interactive vision of 3D model for reliable accessing of information by farmers to generate high Agricultural productivity.
The contribution of digital globe towards dissemination of information on Agriculture is very essential compare to other way of sending information. This work discovered that the role of Google earth as digital globe in farming makes enhanced and qualitative information dissemination on internet. Then there is need to develop more information dissemination on Agricultural activities to internet at appropriate time in a place its needed where farmer can get well farm product.
The research purposes was to deliver enhanced management of farm information to farmers through the application of 3D visualization technology, with the help of geographic information system (GIS) and digital globes technology. It is also aimed to provide automated Agricultural information dissemination to farmers and to effectively use Google earth in accessing Agricultural information.
There are several phases in Agricultural practices where the advanced technologies are inevitable for providing highly productive Agriculture. Digital globe technology is a key factor in this age of computer technology for disseminating Agricultural information in order to provide best farming product. The work looks at the previous work done related to the study, but none is digital globe enabled toward effective information dissemination.
The constraints issue to use of Automated 3D for disseminating Agricultural information, based on the research views that, poor Communication of information are the technical constraints influencing dissemination of Agricultural information. The work also indicated that if hardware and software are user-friendly, it might be work for successful decision in plants needs to grow for good farming yield.
Information dissemination through GIS and Google earth technology to farmers for better productive Agriculture in the area of the study recommends the following:
- Government and private providers of information need to work together with farmers to find precise needs of information that would assist them to develop a better farming product and to find more operative communication channels in which to access better information.
- There is the need to look at phases like education, farming experience and women farmers when disseminating information. This will consider illiterate farmers, local farmers and women farmers when spreading information.
- The farmers should participate in other information and communication technology, so that they will improve in day to day activities of internet toward retrieval of modern way of information concerning farming.
- Digital information technology is key factor in this time of computer technology, where many Agricultural activities are expected to yield valuable agricultural product. This form of digitizing should be well understood by farmers.
- Indication of uses of internet in the world Agriculture is huge. However, Jigawa state should be able to expose Information dissemination technology in its Agricultural activities which is already on process. With this, the technology should be implemented.
- Internet is difficult to get to most of the farmers. Then establishment of internet centers in most rural areas is the easiest way to eliminate the digital divide between rural farmers and urban farmers along with this, there is need for government to establish centers for alighting farmers and training them on new farming technology and the accessing of information through internet.
- There is no good environmental condition in most of the rural areas of the state, in which material needed for internet accessibility such as internet services of mobile phones, electricity poles, cables. Considering this condition, the collaboration with authorities like GSM service providers and electricity suppliers is needed in order to make concrete arrangement so that information dissemination could made easy to access.
5.4. Future Work.
The study uses 3D visualization to directly disseminate Agricultural information to farmers.
However, the section will outline the number of further improvement for delivery of better Agricultural information.
- In the study, scripting language known as Ruby was used to extend the capability of the sketchup, therefore optional software that allows users to automate tasks and add capabilities to Sketch Up, can either be written using language like C++ or Java.
- In future, the design of 3D can also be done using Extensible three dimensional (X3D) graphics standard.
- The research covers Jigawa state area and then in future it can cover the North-East geo political zone.
- Virtual Animal farming and environmental information can be considered in the future work for Agricultural information dissemination.
- Building a more sophisticated Internet GIS application using Google Earth, in future it will considerWeb GIS in disseminating information to farmers.
How To Get The Complete Material For Automated Information System For Agricultural Development
The complete material will be sent to your email address after payment
( Quick & Simple)
|FOR CLIENTS IN NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase (₦3,000)|
|FOR CLIENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA:|
|CLICK HERE to make purchase ($15)|
This research material “Automated Information System For Agricultural Development” is for research purposes and should be used as a guide in developing your research project / seminar work. For no reason should you copy word for word (verbatim) as samphina.com.ng will not be liable for any who copied the material.
The aim of providing this material is to reduce the stress of moving from one school library to another all in the name of searching for research materials. This service is legal because, all institutions permit their students to read previous projects, books, articles or papers while developing their own works. According to Austin Kleon “All creative work builds on what came before”.
samphina.com.ng is only providing this material “Automated Information System For Agricultural Development” as a reference for your research. The paper should be used as a guide or framework for your own paper. The contents of this paper should be able to help you in generating new ideas and thoughts for your own research. Use it as a guidance purpose only.