Advertising Jingles And Sloganeering Campaign On Consumer Buying Behaviour
Advertising jingles and slogans are two aspects of advertising that go to some extent in influencing consumer buying habit. This research work tad to evaluates advertising Jingle and sloganeering campaign on consumer buying behaviour using Guinness malt which is produced and marketed by Guisiness Nigeria Plc, Enugu Metropolis. A sample size of 400 was drawn out of the total population of 722,664. The researcher used questionnaire and oral interview as to the measuring instrument. The research work was carried out using a sample of 400 people. The study was conducted using GraphPad and SPSS software. It was found that Advertising Jingles, slogans, and music tunes play a role in affecting consumer buying behavior of Ginners Malt while the music tune and message incorporated in the advertising jugular and syllables are adequate. The music tune is very effective in creating awareness for cuisines malt.
1.1 Background of the Study
Advertising business is a form of marking communication used to encourage, persuade, or manipulate an audience (viewers, readers, or history’s, sometime a specific group to take or centime to take some action, (Allens, 2009p12).
Most commonly, the desired results is to drive consumer behaviour with respect to a commercial offering.
Advertising jingles and slogans are at the front of delivering the proper message to customers and prospective customers. The purpose of advertising jingles and slogans according to Bell and Cassidy(2012p76) is to convince customers that a company’s services are the best, enhance the image of the company, point out and create a need or products or service demonstrated new uses for established products and programmes, reinforce the sales people’s individual messages, draw customers to the business and to hold existing customer. The essence is to effect consumer buying behaviour.
An advertising slogan is a catchy phrase or series of words used to help consumers remember a company, brand or product (calvert, 2009 p12) for instance, the advertising slogan used by Guisiness malt is” love at first sip” while on the other hand, advertising jingle is a short tune used in advertising and for other commercial uses. The jingles contains one or more hooks and meaning that explicity promote the product being advertised, usually through the use of one or more advertising slogans. Advertising, buyers use jingles in radio and television commercial; they can also be used in non- advertising contexts to establish or maintain a brand image. Jingles are form of sound branding. Companies create advertising slogans and jingles to use in various marking efforts in the hope that phrases and music will stick in people’s mind.
That way, when a consumer needs a product or service offered by a variety of companies, that consumer will choose the product or service that is top- of – mind from slogans recognition .
Jingles are similar to slogans in that they are catchy and used to associate a specific company, product or brand. Jingles tend to be musical, though, where as slogans do not need to be accompanies by music (cook, 20011: 72). However, slogans can become jingles; slogans that is sung, is a jingle. Guinness malt’s “ love at first sip slogan often is sung in the company’s commercials, marking it a jingle as well.
Most commonly, the desire to use advertising slogans and jingles are is to drive consumer behaviors with respect to a commercial offering, although political and ideological advertising is also common. The purpose may also be to reassume employees or shareholders that a company is viable or successful.
Gills (2007) noted that commercial advertisers who used advertising slogans and jingles often seek to generate an increased consumption of their products or service though “ branding “ which involves the repetition of an image or product name in an effort to associate certain qualities with the brand in the minds of consumers. Therefore, the essence of advertising slogans and jingles is to influence consumer beheviour. It is based on this premise that this research work tad to evaluates advertising jingles and sloganeering campaign on consumers buying habit.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Advertising jingles and slogan are two aspects of advertising that go to some extent in influencing consumer buying habit. However, the inadequacy in the construction of the appropriate message or music tune in advertising slogan and jingles may end up influencing consumer buying habit negatively. This is due to the fact that slogans for instance are often retained in memories but once they are not appealing to the mined as they relate to the products being promoted, it may not have the influence on consumer buying habit.
That is the reason why much emphasis is always laid on the caliber of message or music being incorporate in a slogan or jingle.
Yet another problem discovered by the researcher is the fact that most firms including Guinness Nigeria Plc that use advertising slogan and jingles, fail to leave up to expectation of what is promised in the advertisement. for instance, in the case of Guinness malt whose slogan is “ love at first sip, most times the first sip of such drinks is disgusting due to certain factors which the company failed to take into consideration before selling its products to the public.
The in appropriate selection of the media in reaching the target customers can affect the role of advertising jingles and slogans in achieving its purpose for the company or organization.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The broad objective of this project work is to evaluate advertising jingles and sloganeering campaign on consumer buying behaviour.
The specific objectives include the following:
- To determine the role of advertising jingles and slogans in influencing consumer buying behavior of Guinness malt.
- To determine the adequacy of the music tune and message incorporated in the advertising jingles and slogans of Guinness malt.
- To investigate whether cuisines Nigeria Plc live up to expectations of what is promised in its advertising jingles and slogans for cuisines malt
- To determine the relationship existing between the media types and effectiveness
1.4 Significance of the Study
This project work will be of immense significance to the management and staff of Guisiness Nigeria Plc in that it will go to great extent to enlighten them on the concepts of advertising jingle and slogans as well as their role in promoting products and influencing consumers’ behaviour.
Students and other researcher will widen their scope in the information contained in this project work.
1.5 Researcher Questions
The following research questions are formulated for the purpose of this project work.
- Do advertising jingles and slogans play any role in influencing consumer buying behavior of Guinness malt?
- How adequate are the music and message incorporated in the advertising jingle and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc in promoting cuisine malt.
- Does Guinness Nigeria live up to expectations of what is promised in its advertising jingles and slogans for cuisines malt.
- Is there any significant relationship existing between media and effectiveness of advertising jingles and slogans
1.6 Research Hypotheses
The researcher formulates the following hypothesis;
- Ho: Advertising Jingle and Slogans do not play any role in influencing consumer buying behavior of Guinness malt.
- H1: Advertising Jingle and Slogans play role in influencing consumer buying behavior of Guinness malt.
- Ho: The music tune and message incorporated in the advertising Jingles and Slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc in promoting Guinness malt is not adequate.
- H1: The music tune and message incorporate in the advertising Jingles and Slogan of Guinness Nigeria Plc promoting Guinness malt is adequate.
- Ho: Guinness Nigeria Plc does not leave up to expectations of what is promised in its advertising Jingle and slogans for Guinness malt
- H1: Guinness Nigeria Plc leaves up to expectation of what is promised in its advertising Jingles and slogans for Guinness malt
- HO: Significant relationship does not exist between the media type and effectiveness of advertising Jingles and Slogans.
- H1: A Significant relationship exists between the media type and effectiveness of advertising Jingles and Solgans
1.7 Theoretical Framework
The theoretical framework of this study is based on the hierarchy of effects model.
Among other advertising theories, the hierarchy of effects model is predominant. It shows clear steps of how advertising works. The hierarchy of effects model was formulated by St. Elmos Lewis in 1898. The theory is a stair- step hierarchical framework that proposes that sales people and create desire in order to be successful.
Hierarchy of effects model can be explained with the help of a pyramid. First the lower level of objectives such as awareness, knowledge or comprehension are accomplished. Subsequent objectives may focus on moving prospects to higher levels in the pyramid to provoke desired behavioral Reponses such as associating feeling with the brand, trial, or regular use, etc. it is easier to accomplish adverting objectives located at the base of the pyramid than the ones towards the top. The percentage of prospective customers will decline as they move up the pyramid towards more action oriented objectives, such as regular brand use.
It clarifies the objectives of an advertising campaign and for each individual advertisement. The model suggests that there are six steps a consumer or a business buyer moves through when making a purchase. The steps are:
If most of the audience is unaware of the object, the communicator’s task is build awareness, perhaps just name recognition, with simple messages repeating the product name, consumers must became aware of the brand. This is not as straightforward as it seems. Capturing someone’s attention does not mean they will notice the brand name. thus, the brand name needs to be made focal to get consumers to become aware. magazines are full of advertising that will capture your attention, but you will have trouble easily seeing the brand name.
The target audience might have product awareness but not know much more; hence this stage involves creating brand knowledge. This is where comprehension of the brand and what it stands for become important.
If target members know the product, how do they feel about it?
If the audience looks unfavorably towards the product, the communicator has to find out why. If the unfavorable view is based on real problems, a communication campaign alone cannot do the job. For product problem, it is necessary to first fix the problem and only then can you communicate its renewed quality.
The target audience might like the product but not prefer it to others. In this case, the communicator must try to build consumer preference by promoting quality, value, performance and other features. The communicator can check the campaigns success measuring audience preference before and after the campaign
A target audience might prefer a particular product but not develop conviction among the target audiences
Finally, some members of the target audience might have conviction but not get around to making the purchase. The may wait for more information or plan to ac t later. The communicator must need these consumers to take the final step, perhaps by offering the product at a low price, offering a premium, or letting consumers tried out. This is where consumers make a move to actually search out information or purchase. Thus advertising is thought to work and follow a certain sequence whereby the prospect is moved through a series of stage in succession from unawareness to the purchase of the product.
1.8 Scope and of the Study
This study cover advertising jingle and sloganeering campaign on consumer buying behavior using Guinness malt which is produced and marketed by Guinness Nigeria Plc.
These limitations were encountered by the researchers in this research project.
1.9 Limitation of the Study
The following are the problems encountered by the researcher the course of this study
The researcher lacked enough funds to carry out this research project, thereby leading to a sight delay in the successful completion of this research work.
There was not enough time on the part of the researcher regarding the time needed to attend lectures, do various assignment s, prepare for degree examinations and also carry out this research project
Attitude of the Respondents:
The respondents not really cooperative to the researcher due to fear of leaking their secret to competitors.
1.0 Definition of Terms:
Conceptual Definition of Term
Advertising is the no-personal communication of information, usually paid for and usually persuasive in nature about products, service or ideal by identified sponsors through the various media.
An advertising jingle is an advertising tool in which memorable lyrics are combined with a catchy tune to create an emotional connection between your product and potential customers.
An advertising Slogan is a catchy phrase or series of words used to help consumers remember a company, brand or product.
Consumer behavior is the study of individuals, groups, or organization and the process they use to select; secure, and dispose of products, services, experiences, or ideas to satisfy needs and the impacts that these processes have on the consumer and society.
Operational Definition of Term
Advertising is operationally defined as the use of divers Slogan and Jingles to influence consumer behavior.
Advertising Jingle is a short tune used in advertising and for other commercial use to influence consumers’ behavour
Advertising slogans are short memorable group of words used in adverting campaigns to influence consumer behaviors.
Consumer behavior is operationally defined as the divers’ attitude exhibited by consumers in the purchase of goods and services.
Summary, Conclusion and Recommdations
The summary of findings made for the purpose of this project study includes the following:
The researcher discovered that 64% of the respondents that the advertising jingles and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc are comprehensible by the public while 36% of them said no to this Therefore, advertising jingles and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc are comprehensible by the public
The researcher found out that 61% of the respondents stated that advertising jingles and slogans play a role in influencing consumer buying behavior of Guinness malt while 16% of them said no to this. Therefore, advertising jingles and slogans contribute to the growth of and profitability of Guinness Nigeria Plc Enugu.
The researcher discovered that 13% of the respondents are of the opinion that the music tune and message incorporated in the advertising jingles and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc in promoting Guinness malt are very adequate 25% of them said inadequate, while 23% of them said inadequate, while 19% of them said very inadequate.
Therefore, the music tune and message incorporated in the advertising jingles and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc in promoting Guinness malt are very adequate
The researcher discovered that 67% of the respondents are of the opinion that Guinness Nigeria Plc leave up to expectation of what is promised in its advertising jingle and slogans for Guinness malt, while 33% of them said No to this. Therefore, Guinness Nigeria Plc leave up to expectation of what is promised in its advertising jingles and Slogans for Guinness malt.
Since a greater percentage of the respondent are the opinion that a significant relationship exist between the media type and effectiveness of advertising jingle and slogans
The researcher discovered that 50% of the respondents are of the opinion that the advertising jingle and slogan of the company impact on its corporate image to a very great extent, 33% of them said to a great extent, while 17% of them said to an extent.
The following conclusion are drawn based on the findings
- Advertising Jingles and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc are comprehensible by the public
- Advertising Jingles and slogans play a role in influencing consumer buying behavior of Guinness malt
- The advertising Jingles and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc contribute to the patronage of Guinness malt top a very great extent
- The advertising Jingles are very effective in creating awareness for Guinness malt
- The use of advertising jingles and slogans contribute to the growth and profitability of Guinness Nigeria Plc, Enugu
- The music and message incorporated in the advertising jingles and slogans of Guinness Nigeria Plc in promoting Guinness malt are very adequate.
- Guinness Nigeria Plc live up to expectation of what is promised in its advertising jingles and slogans of Guinness malt
- A significant relationship exits between the media type and slogans
- The advertising jingles and slogans of the company impact on its corporate image t a very great extent.
The following recommendations are made by the researcher:
- Guinness Nigeria Plc should design its advertising Jingles and slogans to the extent that they are easily comprehensible by public as a greater percentage of the respondents noted that advertising jingles and slogans play a role in influencing consumer buying behaviors
- The company should use its advertising jingles and slogans to promote its customers patronage. This is based on the premise that advertising jingle and slogans contribute to improve customers’ patronage to a very great extent.
- The company should design captivating music tune and message for its advertising jingles and slogans as they go a long way in contributing to increased growth and profitability of organization.
- The company should liver up to the expectation of what is promised in its advertising jingle and slogans for Guinness malt and should also select effective media type for its advertising jingle and slogans as a significant relationship exists between the media type and effectiveness of advertising jingles and slogans.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Advertising Jingles And Sloganeering Campaign On Consumer Buying Behaviour
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply