Administration Of Industrial Conflict In Higher Institutions In Nigeria (A Case Of Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri Imo State)
The purpose of this study is to examine the system of administration of industrial conflict in higher institution in Nigeria with a case study of Federal Polytechnic nekede, Owerri, Imo State. the result of findings shows that individual conflicts in Nigerian higher institutions occurs in the forms of lockout, strike, work –to-rule and lock-in. the factors responsible for these include workers demand for improved welfare scheme, governments refusal to comply and breach of terms of settlements disputes. Such conflicts are resolved through collective bargaining, vnilateral actions of the government and appointments of mediator and conciliation.
The problem in industrial conflicts administration includes the attitude of the institution authorities, government union leaders. The effect of industrial conflict in Nigeria higher institutions involves decline in productivity of all staff loss of much man-hours, laxity among students staff, deterioration of relationship between staff and government.
The work recommends that the government should provide adequate funds for effective administration of Nigeria higher institutions, these will make the authorities able to provide adequate remunerations, compensation and welfare scheme for the staff. This will always ensure industrial peace in the institutions.
Table Of Contents
- Title page
- Certification page
- Table of content
- 1.1 Background of the study
- 1.2 Statement of problem
- 1.3 Objectives of the study
- 1.4 Research Question
- 1.5 Statement of Hypothesis
- 1.6 Significance of the study
- 1.7 Scope of the study
- 1.8 Limitation of the study
- 1.9 Definition of terms
2.0 Literature Review
- 2.1 Introduction
- 2.2 Meaning of industrial conflict
- 2.3 Meaning of conflict
- 2.4 Types of conflict
- 2.5 Effect of industrial conflicts in higher institutions
- 2.6 Procedures for settling trades disputes.
- 2.7 Factors responsible for industrial conflict in higher institutions
3.0 Research Design and Methodology
- 3.1 Introduction
- 3.2 Research design
- 3.3 Sources / Method of data collection
- 3.4 Population and sample size
- 3.5 Sampling techniques
- 3.6 Validity and reliability of measuring instrument
- 3.7 Method of Data analysis
4.0 Presentation and Analysis of Data
- 4.1 Introduction
- 4.2 Presentation of data analysis
- 4.3 Analysis of data
- 4.4 Test of Hypothesis
- 4.5 Interpretation of result(s)
5.0 Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 Summary of findings
- 5.3 Conclusion
- 5.4 Recommendation
1.1 Background Of The Study
Industrial conflict has been defined by many authors in their perspectives. But before going in details. The meaning of conflict has to be known. Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of current English defined conflicts as a situation in which people group or countries are involved in serious disagreement or arugment. The term conflict is seen or experienced in every organization made up of staff and trade unions.
Conflict is based on the incapability of goals that arises from opposing behaviours. Individual differences are bound to produce some conflict, but they will also produce the flexibility, creativity and specialization necessary for modern organization to survive. Having know what conflict is all about, industrial conflict is therefore any dispute or incompatibility of interest between employee and employer or employers and employees connected with employment or non-employment.
In the formation of the nation’s industrial policy the federal government was influenced by the country’s social and economic conditions and the standards set by the international labour organization (ILO) of which Nigeria is a member.
In Nigeria, trade unions services and industrial relation department are under the federal ministry of labour and productivity they are primarily responsible for the promotion and maintenance of industrial peace and harmony in all trade disputes which have failed to settle through internal machinery designed to reach amicable settlement of disputes.
The increase in strict and industrial tension could be blamed on deeprated suspicions between employers and workers as well as intra-union crises. In a bid to maximize their standard of living which often eroded by initation, workers demand higher pay and better condition of service and employer resist such request because they fear that it might reduce their profits.
The causes of inter and intra union disputes may be traced to communication gap between the official’s and member alleged misappropriation or embezzlement of unions found, arbitrary dismissal of national officers by the union, refusal to call national delegated conference as and when due, in recent years, trade dispute especially those of inter and intra union cases have resulted in litigations in the law courts. Some disputes has led to the institution of more than 40 court cases involving different trade unions.
The industrial relations degree of 1996 sets the detail of law disputes between employees and trade union are to be settled. Employers and unions are required to attempt internal settlement through joint constitution and collective bargaining. Where this fails, there is provision for the declaration of formal trade dispute and for the matter to be referred to the ministry of labour and productivity. The ministry can then refer the case to the industrial arbitration panel which renders a binding decision, if any of the parties resorts to the decision. The matter will be lasting referred to the national industrial court.
In the past ten years, the history of industrial relations in our institutions of higher learning is maintain by constant industrial actions. The first was in 1988 when the academic staff union of Nigeria universities (ASSU) embarked on a strike action against their employers. National universities commission and federal ministry of education and their individual universities. Again the academic staff unions of Nigeria polytechnic (ASSP) embarked on a three months nation-wide strike in 2013.
In Nigeria, institutions of higher learning have experience so many period of industrial unrest. Trade disputes are often declared by the trades unions in these institutions. Some of the trade disputes have been resolved through internal conflict resolution while other through mediation and conciliation by a third party. Thus, administrative of industrial conflicts in Nigeria institutions of higher learning have been done through many amicable procedures.
1.2 Statement Of The Problems
In Nigeria, a lot of industrial conflicts, disputes have been experienced in the higher institutions by trade union which results to high increase in strike, back-out, dismissal, law off and retrenchment section zla of trade disputes (Amendment) Decree No. 54 of 1997 provides with respect to payment of wages during strikes and lock out that.
- Workers shall not be entitled to any wages or other remuneration for the period of the strike.
- Any employer that lock out workers will pay the wages and other applicable remuneration for the period of the lock out.
Industrial conflict in the higher institution leads to some trade unions or mature staffer to feel defected and demeaned. Some officers in the institution engage in industrial conflict through strike of inability of institutions authority to meet with demand of their employee’s it can also sometimes occur as sympathy action in support of member of another institution.
In many trade unions in institution of higher learning strikes are very difficult to resolve because the legal procedures of mediation and conciliation have always proven abortive, it is also difficult to resolve industrial conflict in institution of higher learning in Nigeria. In many institutions negotiations have broken down because of the inability of the anchors at dispute to make concessions to each others demand. The stipulation of trade disputes of decree 1976 of the procedure for the settlement of trade disputes have been flouted through arbitrary use of power by government in forcefully resolving the dispute strike and lock out are resultant effects of degenerated dispute situation which can be resolved by the industrial Arbitration panel (IAP) and National industrial court (NIC) respectively.
1.3 Objectives Of The Study
Due to the rate of industrial conflict and trade disputes among the trade union in the higher institution in Nigeria, it has been the desire of the researcher to make people know some of her discoveries and how it can lead to conflict resolution the objectives of the study among other things include:
- To suggest ways of improving the administrative of industrial conflict in these institutions.
- To examine the factors responsible for trade disputes in the institutions.
- To examine the problem of industrial conflict administration in these institutions.
- To examine the nature of trade disputes in institutions of higher learning in Nigeria.
1.4 Research Questions
This study was conducted to answer the following
- What is the nature of trade disputes or industrial conflicts in institutions of higher learning in Nigeria?
- How effective has the settlement of machinery been in managing this industrial conflict?
- What are the problems in appraisal of industrial conflict in Nigeria institution of higher learning?
- To what extent has industrial conflict affected the relationship between lecturers and government?
1.5 Statement Of Hypothesis
The following Hypothesis will be tested as regards to industrial conflict
- H0: Incessant demand of workers for improving welfare scheme does not often lead to industrial conflicts in the institutions of higher learning.
- H1: Incessant demand of workers for improving welfare scheme often lead to industrial conflicts in the institutions of higher learning.
- H0: There is no casual relationship between the breach of terms of settlement of industrial conflict in higher institutions of learning.
- H1: There is casual relationship between the breach of terms of settlement of industrial conflict in higher institutions of learning.
1.6 Significance Of The Study
Obviously the significant of the study has been known from the background of the study, but it is very essential to state the importance of this project for clear understanding. This research is significant in many aspects firstly, it will highlight the various factors that often lead to industrial conflicts and also explain the nature of industrial disputes in our institutions, why there has always been break down in negotiation why industrial conflict administrative continuous to be difficult.
The research finding will therefore be useful to the institution authority because it will help then take decisions that will forestall the emergence of situations which will create industrial conflicts. Also, it will help them know how to approach industrial conflicts with a view to settle them amicably.
The finding will make contribution towards successful.
Resolution of industrial conflicts. It will also be useful to union representatives as it highlights why industrial conflicts after negotiations persist because of their wrong approach to settlements.
Besides, the finding will make all parties in disputes to understand the need for amicable resolution of industrial conflicts or disputes through concessions and compromise. It will make employers, union representative and union member understand the importance of industrial peace as it helps in the development of healthy industrial relations and national development.
Finally, it will be useful to make many students who will carry out a related study in future as the information provided will be very helpful.
1.7 Scope Of The Study
The scope of this study is very wide, but the researcher only focuses on industrial conflict and its administrative institutions of higher learning as regards to federal polytechnic nekede, Owerri Imo State. it also covers the area of why industrial conflict and trade disputes persist after negotiating and resolution through conciliation mediation, concessions.
1.8 Limitation Of The Study
In carrying out this research, the researcher encountered some difficulties which acted as a limitation to the successful completion and generalization of the work.
These difficulties are;
The financial problem experienced in the course of this work limited me from getting more textbooks, journals, seminar materials, magazines relating to industrial conflicts and its administrative.
This research work was carried out during lecture period with all it’s burning of mid night candle including other problems thereby necessitating the disruption of academic assessment. Attitude of some respondent unwillingness and sometimes burnt refusal to release necessary information.
The insufficient textbooks at the school library also constitutes a problem to the researcher, the library lack books relating to the research topic.
The pressing need to attend lectures coupled with the fact that department work is enormous it constitutes against a thorough and highly intensive research work.
1.9 Definition Of Terms
The following concepts are defined with in the context of this research work.
– In the words of Adebayo (1981:1). Administration is the organization and direction of persons in order to accomplish a specified end. He illustrated that administrative activity can occur when two men co-operate to roll a stone that neither could move alone: The rudiments of administrative have appeared. Simon (1970:3 perceived “ Administration as activities of groups cooperating to accomplish common goals.
– According to Anugwom (2002:192) industrial conflict therefore, is any dispute or incompatiability of interest between employee an employer or between employers connected with employment or non-employment. Industrial conflicts usually start in form of grievances in which the right of the employee’s is considered to have been mishandle e.g. the right to be paid, the right to enjoy good conditions of work.
5.0 Summary, Recommendation And Conclusion
At the end of the presentation of data obtained from the workers or lecturers a presentation of the summary of these findings were of great importance and of course a recommendation which the researcher thinks will be of help to the trade union, lectures in federal polytechnic nekede, owerri, Imo state and other higher institutions as well as students.
5.2 Summary Of Findings
The intention of the researcher is to investigate, analyze and present the causes of administration of industrial conflicts in higher institutions in Nigeria, federal polytechnic nekede owerri, to be precise. In the first chapter of this very work, the researcher introduced the topic as well as providing the background of the study, stated the problems that induced in her the spirit of studying the writing about this topic. Hence, in attempt to focus in the study, he forward certain research questions whose answers provided solutions to the problems of the study.
In chapter two of this study, the researcher made comprehensive and detailed review of what many scholars have documented earlier before now about the topic under literature review. It stipulated of people’s opinions and findings about administration of industrial conflict in higher institution in Nigeria as well as the impact of government in attempt to resolve such industrial conficts.
In chapter three, the researcher showed the method of data collection he used and the sources of data form the data, the collection was able to get some of the population of the trade union, lecturers in federal polytechnic nekede owerri. To make the work easier, he adopted a sample percentage and used of sampling size of (100) one hundred to generalize the findings. He also showed the instrument used in collection of data as well as proved the validity and reliability of the instrument.
In chapter four, the researcher analyzed and interpreted the data collection to create room for clear understanding and presentation. The research questions were re-stated and their answers were tabulated and interpreted after being analyzed.
In general summary, industrial conflict is a very crucial aspect in higher institutions, it provides low productivity of all staff loss of man hours, laxity among students and staffs determination of relationship between the parties in dispute, inter and intra union quarries among others. But if the industrial conflict action is successful, it brings improvement in the welfare of the staff and workers.
Based on the research findings, conclusion was drawn that incessant demand by workers for improved working conditions and refusal by the government to meet with their demand often lead to industrial conflict. Breach of terms of settlement of industrial conflicts and government implementation of policies against the interest of the staff also lead to industrial conflicts in higher institution have effective and are settle through collective bargaining or unilateral action of the government. Unilateral action of the government through stance of union members, inter /intra union quarrels militate against effective administration of industrial conflict in the higher institutions.
However, the procedure in resolving the disputes do not always conform to the stipulations of the trade union (amendment) decree of 1976. industrial conflicts have had adverse effects on the relationship between the government and union members it also leads to decline in productivity, loss in man-hour, loss of time in completing academic programme.
Administration of industrial conflict in higher institutions is a very effective tool for improving the welfare of the staff and for increase in productivity of all staff, the following recommendation which strictly base on the findings are found necessary.
- The institution authorities, Government and union leaders should use collective bargaining as the only instrument for resolutions of industrial conflicts in the institutions. The government in each case should renounce force as the means of dealing effectively with industrial conflicts.
- The union leaders should be adequately trained in industrial relation, this will even mean that only intelligent leader’s who are well versed in industrial matter are elected. The attitudes of such leaders should reflect accommodation and compromised in resolving industrial conflicts.
- The government should provide adequate funds for efficient administration of the institution of higher learning. These will make the authorities able to provide adequate remunerations, compensation and welfare schemes for the staff and will always ensure industrial peace in the institutions.
- Government should introduce trade union and there should be also complete freedom for the union so that the system will develop an industrial relations that is they democratic.
The Complete Material Will Be Sent to You in Just 2 Steps
Quick & Simple…
Make Payment (Through Transfer) of ₦3,000 to Any of the Account Below
|Acc No: 0811003731|
|Acc No: 1225513212|
|Acc No: 8143831497|
Or CLICK HERE To Pay With Debit Card
|FOR STUDENTS OUTSIDE NIGERIA|
|CLICK HERE To Purchase Material ($15)|
|FOR GHANIAN STUDENTS|
|Make Payment of 80 GHS to 0553978005 | Douglas Osabutey | MTN MoMo|
Send the Following Details on WhatsApp ( 08143831497) After Payment
- Payment Details
- TOPIC: Administration Of Industrial Conflict In Higher Institutions In Nigeria (A Case Of Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri Imo State)
The Complete Material Will Be Sent To You On WhatsApp After Receiving Your Details
T & C Apply